<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Match Thread)

May 3 2017 at 3:38 AM

Guest  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Royal London One-Day Cup, North Group: Yorkshire v Durham at Leeds, May 3, 2017

YORKSHIRE from: Gary Ballance (Capt), Jonny Bairstow (Wkt), Tim Bresnan, Karl Carver, Ben Coad, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb, Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steven Patterson, Azeem Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Matthew Waite.

Scorecard
Headingley Weather
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Match Thread)

May 3 2017, 8:38 AM 

The Weather's set fair and I wish I was there.

Pity we don't have the full squad to choose from, Plunkett and Willey will be missed. Durham not being able to play Wood evens things up a bit, but not totally in my view. I wouldn't be surprised if the ECB will have told him to hold a bit back until he's got a few matches under his belt and England need it anyway.

I'd like to see Coad and Waite play to see how they go while we still have the reassurance of Rashid, Root and Bairstow in the team.

Think the match is now on R5SX so at least I can imagine I am there.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 3 2017, 9:58 AM 

I don't know why we're wearing out Patto by making him do twelfth man duties..

And whats Alex Lees done wrong..?

JG
(Login _JG_)

May 3 2017, 10:55 AM 

Well he's not doing 12th man duties today: Waite and Patterson in for Plunkett and Willey

Lees was dreadful in one-day cricket last season, averaging less than 15 in the 50 over matches and making only one 50 from 22 white ball innings overall, so I think has something to prove before regaining his place- Leaning for instance performed far better in white ball cricket last year. It might be an exception caused by the pressure of captaincy, but equally it might be a reversion to the norm considering 2015 is the only year he's actually done well in one-day cricket.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on May 3, 2017 10:56 AM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 3 2017, 11:06 AM 

2014 when Lees was decent in white ball Cricket, he's gone backwards since.

2015 he averaged 27 which isn't horrendous i guess, but alongside a 64 strikerate it's pretty poor. 2016 was horrendous!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 3 2017, 11:09 AM 

Yes I don't see Lees as a one day player and prefer him to focus on four day cricket and approach to batting.

The Durham team seems to not only be missing Wood and Stokes but also Rushworth, Onions and some of the names are new to me completely although I am aware of Weighell the young spinner from south of the border in Stokesley who comes from a family of Weighells (so is that a shoal?) who have played their for decades.

Having had two Lankys umpire the Roses much on Monday today we have one of them still in situ but accompanied by former Durhsm opener Gough from Hartlepool.

In football I know the refs declare undying love for a team and they are not appointed for games in the vicinity of their home town. In cricket they tend to think umpires are fully neutral and impartial although we don't seem to be getting many former Yorkies doing our games!

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 3 2017, 11:26 AM 

It's reason no 412 in my list of reasons why cricket is better than football. We never seriously discuss umpire bias, whereas in football the ref only has to come from the same county and Jose is jumping around protesting. If anything in cricket, I've felt one or two umpires are a bit too keen to demonstrate a lack of bias. It can work against you having an ex-player officiating.

Third Umpire
(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 3 2017, 11:34 AM 

I'm inclined to agree until you then take this logic to the next level up where you expect the better umpires to officiate yet on the international scene (with all the supporting technical gadgetry and referrals) they have moved to neutral appointments.

I'm not for one moment suggesting Gough, Lloyd and O'Shaughnessy of bias but a dodgy decision from them might then spark a debate. My preference is to avoid an accident happening rather than clear up the mess afterwards.

Anyway, perhaps one of them could raise their finger in the next over or two please

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds

May 3 2017, 11:41 AM 

James Weighell was in the Yorkshire Schools' squad until the age of 15. He was not considered good enough for the Academy. He had his first five wicket haul for Durham recently, so it will be interesting to see how he goes today.

Cork Yorkie
(Login WhiteShamrock)

May 3 2017, 12:10 PM 

I see from Cricinfo that Collingwood is on 10,998 List A runs.

Nowadays he tends to bat at 6 or 7, so unless our bowlers can get some wickets, he may not even get to bat.

He was on 10,997 runs two days ago, but batted at 7 (V Warwickshire) and managed to score a single off the only ball that he faced.

Jay
(Login overman8)

May 3 2017, 12:13 PM 

Getting put to the sword here, desperately need a wicket preferably Jennings who would have been a great signing. Not a great return Patto, these two accelerating with ease.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: Yorkshire vs Durham At Leeds

May 3 2017, 12:55 PM 

Absolute pancake here. Runs easy to come by. Plunkett a big miss here with his extra pace

Eastriding
(Login eastriding)

Idle Man

May 3 2017, 12:59 PM 

When I saw idle mans (rule) 412 I wondered if it was his predicted score LOL

Sunny flat wicket, chasers must have a chance so we'll see

Adil has bowled a lot of overs, wondered if anybody else saw Rashid Khan (Super star) taking Ireland apart for Afghanistan in their recent series', they tended to keep him back for the end of the innings and he'd destroy Irelands good starts, wonder if we should also hold our best spinner back?

Time for Root and Lyth?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 3 2017, 1:40 PM 

This is really good stuff from Yorkshire in the back end. And big ticks for Waite, who seems to be a very steely cricketer.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 3 2017, 1:48 PM 

Yes, at the moment stopping then getting away to something awful. There just one big over away from it however. Need more wickets to build up pressure. At 5 down they can afford to go for it without a second thought.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 3 2017, 1:52 PM 

You would take ten an over off the last four, I reckon

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 3 2017, 1:55 PM 

Agreed. It's one that goes for 20 we can't take.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 3 2017, 2:11 PM 

Like those two.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 3 2017, 2:11 PM 

Well we definitely need to have the two best test batsman in the world last year, an overseas keen to impress and a skipper in the firm of his life to knock these off

alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

May 3 2017, 2:44 PM 

Giving up 30 in the last two overs wasn't very clever. So, what is the biggest 50 over total we've knocked off to win a List A match?
""

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk