<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Match Thread)

May 3 2017, 3:03 PM 

Our biggest three are mentioned in this article but looks like we batted first on each occasion.

We once got over 400 v Devon. And the record v a first class county is not that long ago when Travis Head scored 175. Let's hope Hanscomb has that in his sights

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/1038803.html

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on May 3, 2017 3:24 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

May 3 2017, 3:30 PM 

Lyth gone per usual, has contributed very little thus far, and with no one to compete for the opening slot.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 3 2017, 3:31 PM 

Just back from a meeting. We went for 50ish off the last 5 - pretty normal stuff these days. Also remember that records these days are completely superflouous. 300 is a par score in 50 over cricket. What would be interesting to check is our average 50 over score batting first over the last couple of seasons.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 3 2017, 4:11 PM 

The cloud cover is not making run scoring easy. Root is having to take his time and put that extra effort into his stroke play, whereas the Durham top 3 nurdled and knocked it round effortlessly.

Absolutely vital Bairstow and Root stay in the middle for as long as possible. This won't be easy for any incoming batsman to score from the off.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 3 2017, 4:20 PM 

Go on Jonny.

Jay
(Login overman8)

May 3 2017, 4:41 PM 

Here comes Jonny yen again.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 3 2017, 5:15 PM 

Fantastic Jonny B - now we just need to keep our heads...

(Login ExiledinNotts)

May 3 2017, 6:01 PM 

Excellent stuff that 3 out of 3

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 3 2017, 6:16 PM 

Low stress levels yet again.

Thought it might prove a bit of a challenge but hardly ever in doubt.

Congratulations to Matthew Waite who finished with decent figures.

Oh, and Jonny Bairstow did alright too, if he doesn't get to play this weekend I for one will be proper vexed.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 3 2017, 7:09 PM 

Bairstow will need a rest after long innings today and perhaps Gale should ask the ECB to rest him against Ireland so he's fresh for us next week.

Great win, great knock and some great supporting roles from the rest of the top order.

JG
(Login _JG_)

May 3 2017, 7:14 PM 

As Martin rightly points out, 50 over cricket is a different game to what it was 5-10 years ago and big centuries are a lot more commonplace (see van der Merwe's 165* from 122 balls last week), but even so that looks like it was a special knock from Bairstow. I'm sure those lucky enough to have been able to attend today enjoyed it and I await their reports, but from afar it looks like Waite made an excellent contribution too whilst Rafiq seems to have stood up well to some aggressive batting so some encouraging signs for the rest of the competition too.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on May 3, 2017 7:15 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 3 2017, 7:18 PM 

Great win, never seemed in doubt from about the 5th over of our chase. Bairstow will rightly get the plaudits but Waite definitely seems to have something about him. I should think he'll be a white ball fixture before long.

dpressed
(Login dpressed)

May 3 2017, 8:16 PM 

Well we won another one. Or rather Johnny Bairstow won us another. He did have some luck, being droppede in the 70s, but then in the Hants innings Rashid dropped a ramp shot from Jennings on the boundary (the ball going for 6) early in his innings. But Bluey Jnr made the most of his 'luck' batting beautifully .... if only we could keep him for the rest of the competition.

In the Durham innings we did miss Plunkett. Waite was fine, Bresnan was fine, but Fisher 'lost it' in his last over (the 49th). I'm getting a little worried over Rashid, he's now fielding 'out in the country' & looks like he's a bit distanced from the rest of the team ... I hope I'm misreading it as we need Rahid as a bowler & batsman.

In our innings Lyth got a decent start, but failed to go on. Root had the sense to play 2nd fiddle to Bairstow who basically hit the Durham bowling at will. After Bluey edged a one to the keeper Root started to up his place, then played on, trying his best but failing to stop the ball that just removed the off stump bail. Handscomb & Ballance did well until the captain went a bit too far back to one & dislodged a bail with his back foot. By that stage it was effectively over & Bresnan was the perfect man to ocome in & get us home.

I do have to comment about Bresnan .... has someone been feeding him teenage hormones? This seaqson Tim looks like a keen lad starting out rather than an ex-England all rounder coming back to his county. Its brilliant to see him enjoying his cricket in this way.

Whilst today was fun I do have to wonder if 3330+ playes 300+ is good for cricket. Rushworth bowled well & went for over 6 an over. There was 1 (one) maiden & Weighell bowled that when Yorkshire had effecively won the match (we needed under 50 to win).

Today also shnowed how daft the England qualified rules are. Cameron Steel, a young leg break bowler, was born in San Francisco USA, went to school in Perth, Australia & Millfield, England & Durham Uni, yet is England qualified. Keeper Stuart Poynter was born in 'ammersmith, London England but plays for Ireland so isn't England qualified.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 3 2017, 8:31 PM 

According to our own year book, today was our second highest successfull run chase.

The previous highest was 342-3 at Northants in 2006.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

May 3 2017, 8:46 PM 

I went today, an excellent game of cricket that seemed to be two good batting sides against two not so good bowling attacks.
Durhams top 3 Saffers, one who will doubtless be wearing his England Cap with pride in the upcomimg test series', batted very well against a not very threatening Yorks attack.
Jennings was out to an excellent boundary catch. Handscombe leapt high to take the ball, was clearly going to land over the rope so he threw it up in the air for himself to catch safely within the playing area. Top notch but quite a regular dismissal in these days of acrobatic boundary riders.
Cook went to a solid ton & looked likely to bat through when he had a slog at Rafiq & was well caught by the safe hands of Bresnan - who continuing his form of Monday fielded excellently.
Richardson played very well & went to his seemingly regular century against us off the last ball of Durham's 50th over.
The Durham innings was played in full sunshine but the strong NE wind kept the temperature down.
I should add that the wicket was that used in Monday's Roses game & it looked full of runs, little discernible turn & scarcely any seam movement.
For that reason at the innings break I was confident that our stellar batting line-up meant that such a large total was eminently gettable against a distinctly ordinary looking Durham attack on paper at least.
Bairstow's onslaught really made it a formality although as on Monday we had some slight (very slight) wobbles at the end.
I don't think I've seen JB bat better in a one day game. But he was missed badly on 71 by Cook sadly for him right in front of the NE stand. Other than that he was excellent, JB that is not Cook who had a couple of other fluffs to endure.
Root was content to play second fiddle whilst JB made hay at the other end till he played on to Weighell - very much the pick of their bowlers.
That was after JB unfortunately feathered a wide one behind to finish up one short of the record 50 over score made by Travis Head last year & 17 behind the overall highest oneday score made by Lehmann (who else) in a 40 over match. Such a pity really since he had ample time & runs to play with to beat both scores & make 200.
Handscombe then came in & looked to continue his rich vein of form. He and Ballance kept up the high scoring rate almost without trying it seemed until Ballance stepped on his wicket in attempting another boundary pull. Given how deep he goes in his crease the only surprise is he hasn't done this more often.
Bresnan came in to hit the winning runs, easy peasy.
A superb win that never really seemed in doubt.
Roll on Worcs on Friday, let's see how we cope without our megastars.
Confidence must be sky high & we still have at least another two batsmen in top form.
The bowling, however, is another matter. Patto's place must be in real doubt.
Rhodes can hardly bowl more expensively & he would improve the batting & fielding.
Maybe find a place for a left arm pacer to break up the sameiness of our attack?

(Login matthefish2002)

May 3 2017, 9:36 PM 

Went today.
Didnt think the game was over at the break put made Durham 75% favourites.
Thought Bairstow had a few slight rubs of the green including the dropped catch by Cook in the boundry but overall was superb.
Was really cold wind on the bottom of the Football Stand and thought was an ok crowd.

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

May 3 2017, 9:43 PM 

Dpressed: I doubt 3300+ v 330+ would be good for cricket. Would be a bit one sided! 😉

Excellent win again today. Carver, Leaning and Lees in for Rashid, Root and Bairstow I reckon (with Handscomb keeping) Leaning got 70 for the 2nds today and Lees a quick-fire 20. If Patto's place is in doubt, I could only currently see Coad coming in; but Gibson got 70 and 3 wickets for 2nds today so may have an outside chance in the future, he is also a right-armed though

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 3 2017, 10:07 PM 

Leaning, Lees, Rhodes & Coad in for Root, Bairstow, Rashid & Patterson with Hanscombe keeping wicket.

Lees, Lyth, Leaning, Ballance, Hanscombe, Bresnan, Waite, Rhodes, Rafiq, Fisher, Coad.

Patto is totally unsuitable for white-ball cricket. Metronomic line & length bowling gets hit as the batsmen can just hit through the line knowing that every ball will be in the same place and at the same pace.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

One day cup/Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds

May 3 2017, 10:24 PM 

The suggested fast bowling line up looks a little inexperienced. As Brooks played for the seconds yesterday, could he come into the reckoning at Worcester ?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 3 2017, 10:25 PM 

Patto did pretty well in last years 50 over comp as I recall.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk