<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Match Thread)

May 3 2017, 10:38 PM 

thoroughly enjoyable day in the warm sunshine of the trueman enclosure. i am a great admirer of patto but he is not a one day bowler, a very nice pace for the batsmen to play through the line and not a lot of variation. he is also not the best fielder. i feel coad would be a better choice. matthew waite did well today. worcester dropped a point in a tie today so if we can win on friday we will be in a healthy position. nice of the ECB to give us the england boys back for two more games, a bonus i never expected.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 3 2017, 10:42 PM 

Patto did ok last year, but not much better than average. This season in the 4 matches he has played in so far, he has been well below his best, and on current form does not deserve his place in the side, and def. not once Brooks & Siddy are fit and Willey & Plunkett return.

Possibly Carver in v Worcs. instead of Coad, Fisher or Rhodes, to give us a more varied bowling attack, instead of 5 seamers.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 3, 2017 10:43 PM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 3 2017, 11:36 PM 

From all the above ideas we do seem to have a lot of combinations/choice, when the megastars disappear. Which is great.

One other Yorkshireman did well in the game today. Young James Weighell (b. Middlesbrough) may be sorry to have been on the losing side, but must be pretty chuffed to have bowled out the England captain, taken the Yorkshire captain's wicket, and our top scorer's too. He took three-quarters of his side's wickets, and held the catch for the other one. His economy rate was his team's best. Oh, and he bowled the only maiden in the match -- for either side.
Since he didn't make the grade for the Yorkshire Academy today must have been a gratifying day for him at Headingley. He can be forgiven if he feels "I told you so"!

(Login dpressed)

May 3 2017, 11:57 PM 

As a fully paid member of the Never Leave Out Patto club, I have to say that this should be changed to NLOP OF A Championship game. Steve looked poor today. Rhodes would bowl just as well (ok poorly) & contribute more in the batting/fielding. I get the feeling that Coad is being kept back for the championship, which most mnembers (including me) agree with.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 4 2017, 12:03 AM 

With you on this, dpressed. He's not been at his best so far this season, and the CC is where he should build his form. No point having him the victim of a morale-sapping slog around the ground in white ball stuff.

john gill
(Login johngi)

one day cup

May 4 2017, 12:56 AM 

I was 10 yards away from Rashid when he dropped that catch,which was over his head at full stretch with one hand and standing close to the the rope,
someone of Stuart Broads height might have caught it but it would still have been a good catch.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 4 2017, 9:47 AM 

I can not believe the NLOP members. Are you seriously thinking of leaving out one of Coad, Siddy, Brooks or Bresnan when they are all fit for our next CC match and play Patto instead?? His form in the 4 matches he has played in so far does not warrant selection in any format.

This season ----

Coad 22 wickets economy rate 2.73
Patterson 4 wickets economy rate 2.49

Minimal difference in the economy rate, over 5 times as many wickets for Ben.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 4, 2017 10:54 AM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 4 2017, 9:54 AM 

They are a very stubborn bunch Stu.

You've picked the correct attack.

Mark Smith
(Login spikeyboy60)

May 4 2017, 9:56 AM 

I was also very near Rash when he had that catch...I was in the Fridge....I thought he had crossed the rope during the catch so didn't make a full effort to take it as he'd crossed the boundary before getting the ball....if I'm wrong,I'll stand corrected...I was sat on the 2nd row from the front and the top of the wooden bit of the fridge was in line with the rope so was I wrong ?????

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 4 2017, 10:14 AM 

I posted this yesterday.

"According to our own year book, today was our second highest successfull run chase.

The previous highest was 342-3 at Northants in 2006."

However, according to the YP, Cricinfo, BBC Sport and our OS it was the highest. Apologies, but I did get my information from our own year book, which is obviously wrong.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 4, 2017 10:14 AM

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

May 4 2017, 11:11 AM 

In that match in 2006 Yorkshire batted first and scored 341-3 - hundreds for White and Lehmann.
Northants narrowly failed to chase down the runs finishing on 339-7 and losing by two runs.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 4 2017, 11:16 AM 

According to Wisden, the Yorkshire score at Northampton on 14 May 2006 was 341-3 after 50 overs (Lehmann 118 n.o., White 112, Wood 36). But Yorkshire batted first (and won by two runs), so it wasn't a "run chase". Apparently, Northants needed 5 off the last ball but Riki Wessels could only make 2.
Lehmann hit 62 from his last 21 balls, then bowled ten overs for 44. Bresnan and Dawson each took 3 wickets (3 for 82 and 3 for 56 respectively).

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 4 2017, 11:17 AM 

SNAP!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 4 2017, 11:45 AM 

Thanks guys.

Graham
(Login gf401228)

Rashid

May 4 2017, 7:30 PM 

I had an excelent view of Rashid's attempt. He was going to catch it but realised he was about to go over the rope with it in his hands if he did hold on, so he tried palming it up, but couldn't and it fell for six. It was just too high for him. Not a 'drop'. Agree Stuart Broad maybe would have had a chance.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

May 4 2017, 8:48 PM 

NLOP, I think, is really a cry for a balanced attack rather than a statement about Steven Patterson. Teams need defensive bowlers who give the captain control and help build pressure,at times the breaks need to be put on. Five all out attacking bowlers rarely works overly a period of time. I (we) are not saying Patto must play but a Patto type player plays. In time this might be Coad or perhaps a defensive off spinner could fulfill the role.

I'd say even in the greatest attack ever, West Indies circa 1980, there was still someone in this role, Joel Garner.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 4 2017, 11:02 PM 

If we're getting a deputation together to go and tell Joel Garner he was a defensive bowler, can I volunteer not to be in it?

P.S. After the other day, it occurs to me that I'd better add a note to make clear that this is a joke. I once stood next to Joel Garner in a bar at Taunton and, whatever height he was officially given out as, I can assure you that he was taller.

This message has been edited by Dewsburian on May 5, 2017 6:50 AM

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

May 5 2017, 8:14 AM 

As I have said, the 'stubborn lot' came into being because Patto's role and qualities seemed to us to be underestimated by a significant number of posters. Andrew Gale's remark that without Patto he couldn't use Jack Brooks as he did is a reflection of his value. At various times his rivals/colleagues in the seam attack have said things which recognise that.

However, this season it seems to me there have been more challenges to NLOP than actual posts from them. I'm not sure which posts Stu is responding to above. For what it's worth - I 'm seeing my first game today - this founder member of NLOP recognises that the situation has definitely been changed by the emergence of Coad, and possibly by some decline in Patto's exceptional reliability. Early days though.

This message has been edited by Idle_man on May 5, 2017 8:16 AM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 5 2017, 8:22 AM 

A very fair assessment. It is early days to write off Patto. The emergence of Coad as an attacking option with economy may change the dynamic of our bowling attack. He isn't a like for like Patto replacement but he may lessen the need for a bowler undertaking a holding role.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

"One swallow doth not a summer make". However.....

May 5 2017, 10:01 AM 

In effect, the first month of the season is gone and the rest of the summer stretches out ahead. So far Patterson has not produced the type of performance which followers have come to expect of him. Why?

It is difficult to say with any certainty whether the present situation is a temporary loss of form, or alternatively, the beginning of the terminal decline which all cricketers ultimately experience.

I saw Patto bowl in both the home and away championship fixtures against Hampshire, though not in the game against Warwickshire at Edgbaston which was sandwiched between the two. In both games my impression was that he had lost some pace, and in addition, some accuracy as well. In consequence, he was unable to perform the "holding role" in which he has excelled for several seasons.

This is nothing to do with the absence of other players, nor is it related to the arrival on the scene of Coad.

Put starkly, it seemed to me that he was not bowling very well in his own terms. Unless he can do so, then the team selectors will have no alternative but it move on.

Were Brooks, Sidebottom, Coad, Bresnan and Patterson all fit and available for selection, Patterson would not be worth his place in the team. Were Bresnan to change his approach to that of an accurate fourth-seamer; a development which is both possible and in some senses necessary; then Patterson would be surplus to requirements in terms of "first choice" selection.

Aristotle would have considered the summer to be young as yet, but time is passing, 21% of the Championship Fixtures have already been played and as others start to recover from injury and become available for selection, an out of form Patterson will find his position under threat in ways which, were he firing, would be inconceivable.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on May 5, 2017 10:19 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk