<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Match Thread)

May 5 2017, 10:10 AM 

I don't care who gets the wickets as long as we win. The emergence of Coad is great and if it puts pressure on competition for places then even better.

But Patto knows his role in the four day team and should stick to it. An attack without him might put pressure on someone else to do the uphill into the wind job with economy and stability key as others attack from the other end. Plunkett and Brooks can't do that and Bres admits he needs to bowl less if batting up the order. Siddy is too old and others will be away with England.

A balanced attack is the priority.

Garner stats suggest he was an economical bowler but his wicket taking average also support him as a strike bowler. He was just impossible to score off due to his height, bounce and accuracy!

(Login dikaiopolis)

Garner

May 5 2017, 10:49 AM 

The year after Somerset got rid of Garner and Richards they both played for league clubs in Lancashire; Richards signed for our local club, Rishton in the Lancashire League, and Garner played in the Bolton League (can't remember which club)

The two clubs arranged a friendly, and I remember Garner playing with the kids; he stood with his arms out to either side, and had 2 children swinging on each arm!

He also hit the biggest six I have ever seen - Rishton's ground isn't the biggest, but it not only cleared the boundary, it cleared the wall, the road, the tree in the garden on the other side of the road, and the house which was set back in the garden! That's what you call long levers!

Unfortunately, Richards wasn't there, so we didn't get to see Garner v Richards, which would have been interesting!

(Login dpressed)

Re: One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Match Thread)

May 5 2017, 11:25 AM 

I think Joel Garner would have got Dews joke. The story I've heard is that a woman asked Garner 'as you are so tall are you in proportion ... down there'. 'Oh No' Joel answered. 'If I was in proportion I'd be 8 feet tall' lol

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk