<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rewriting history

May 3 2017 at 10:38 AM
Third Umpire  (Login ThirdUmpire)

So athletics governing body does its best to take over from the ECB as the sporting governing body who could not organise a knees up in a brewery. To ensure all world records are legitimate they plan to remove several clean world records from the record books thereby punishing clean athletes who have suffered enough at missing out on medals, ceremonies and records not to mention sponsorship money and prize money. Sorry Paula, but your marathon record counts for nothing - that's what you get for having a wee at the side of the road. Sorry Jonathan, that triple jump record isn't yours any more plus you probably did it on a Sunday when you said you wouldn't compete on religious grounds originally. Sorry Colin but that indoor hurdles time counts for nothing.....

How long before the ECB takes a look at the cricket records and abolishes all records that pre- date the creation of t20?

On the plus side chucker Murali may lose lots of his test wickets, but so too will the banned for taking drugs Warne. How many batsmen's test runs will be annulled as they were played before drug testing, betting scandals and backhanders were first heard about. So surely they cannot qualify as legitimate records as Hutton may have been facing an Aussie attack who had been given backhanders at the Oval in 1938 and Veritys 10-10 must have been against batsmen on drugs unable to see the ball.

And don't tell Geoffrey his 100th hundred at Headingley in 1977 will be struck off. Clearly we know in 1981 that Lillee and Marsh liked a flutter so they would surely have put money on Boycs getting his ton at Headingley and deliberately bowled to feed him runs to win the bet.

Innocent until proven guilty?

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on May 3, 2017 11:11 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login sooty-yorkie1)

Re: Rewriting history

May 3 2017, 11:02 AM 

I take it this is tic. However some sports have a huge drug problem, so I guess they think the only solution is one OTT.

Third Umpire
(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 3 2017, 11:14 AM 

Sooty, it may start as tongue in cheek but did you think athletics governing body would strip clean record holders of their records?

And cricket has drugs and betting problems globally.

You could get a decent team of cricketers banned for drug taking and they could play an annual game against those involved in match fixing. As long as it took place within prison grounds that would be fine by me.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

May 3 2017, 12:20 PM 

No but then I'm not a fan of athletics. I don't really follow the ins and outs of it.

Of course no sport is 100% clean but some have far larger problems that require larger solutions.

PaulYorks
(Login paulyorks)

May 3 2017, 1:50 PM 

>> How many batsmen's test runs will be annulled as they were played before drug testing, betting scandals and backhanders were first heard about.

Betting scandals and backhanders in cricket have a long and dishonourable history. William Lambert, the greatest cricketer of his day, was banned for life in 1817 following allegations of match-fixing!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk