<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login sooty-yorkie1)

Re: 1st ODI | England v Ireland at Bristol (Match Thread)

May 6 2017, 11:25 AM 

Its easy to knock the game however Ireland have been shown to be a team capable of beating the bigger countries. I think Ireland, not unreasonably, want to be treated as a full member of the icc and to play other full international teams. I don't think playing lions/county squad players satisfies that.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 6 2017, 11:41 AM 

There is a chance that Ireland will get test status later this year. On this evidence they won't be good enough - the best players from their golden period are ageing, and as someone mentioned earlier, Afghanistan are now the strongest of the non-test playing nations.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 6 2017, 12:15 PM 

Have Ireland won a game in a one-day series against a test-playing nation? I know they drew a series against Bangladesh in 2010, though they also drew one with Canada in the same year, which wasn't a great sign. I'd really like Ireland (and Scotland, where so many Yorkshire professionals once plied their trade) to be strong at cricket - not least because we could then stop treating them as a part of "England" (Morgan, Joyce, Rankin etc.), which is an astonishingly outdated attitude. I just can't see how undermining the Royal London Cup gets us there. And it wasn't just the Ireland match that took precedence over the RLC, but, as Chris Waters points out, the practice session for it the day before!
The point about yesterday's match being "easy to knock" doesn't go to the heart of the matter. It wasn't that it was a poor match, it was that it was possible to predict it would be a poor match. If I'd thought it was likely to be a serious top-level contest, I'd almost certainly have driven to Bristol to watch Root, Bairstow and Rashid, rather than to Worcester to see two depleted sides (Moeen Ali was also out of yesterday's game - for what turned out to be no good reason) and eat more cake than was good for me.

(Sent from my - slightly wet - allotment; isn't wifi wonderful?)

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

May 6 2017, 12:30 PM 

I don't think the RCL being undermined or not is the matter to hand, as it relates to Ireland. As you suggest keeping top irish players playing for them is something that can only strengthen the cricket there. However to do so they need a foot in the door of top level international cricket, playing county crickets squad players who happen not be playing that day isn't really going to cut it for players who want to be playing at the highest level.
As to the game i honestly thought it would be closer.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 6 2017, 1:21 PM 

If anyone thinks Ireland will improve by playing Worcestershire in a meaningless friendly watched by a few hundred spectators with no TV coverage and little revenue generated from it then they're kidding themselves.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 6 2017, 1:27 PM 

In football, teams are fined for feilding weakened sides as it is deemed as bringing the game into disrepute.

In cricket, the ECB actively encourage it, and are the main cause of it.

Another couple of weeks when the England Lions matches start, the situation will get even worse than what it is now.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 6, 2017 2:22 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 6 2017, 1:37 PM 

EYT - Ireland are not going to improve by getting stuffed in every match either. I quess the answer is somewhere in the middle. The counties probably not strong enough. The test playing countries to strong. England Lions could have played them instead of, or as well as, SA "a" in the matches coming up shortly. A round robin comp between SA "a", England Lions and Ireland would give them the games they need and at about the same level as they are now.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 6, 2017 1:53 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 6 2017, 2:06 PM 

At least the Lions games won't affect us much. They might want a look at Coad but we don't have anyone else knocking on the door.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

May 6 2017, 2:27 PM 

I've seen it mentioned a few times, how many teams have been fined for fielding a weakened team?

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 6 2017, 2:57 PM 

I'm no expert on association football, but Huddersfield Town are currently under investigation and some reports say they're expecting a fine.

FROM BBC WEBSITE:
'The EFL said in a statement: "We have today written to Huddersfield Town to request their observations in relation to team selection during their recent Championship match with Birmingham City and, as per our regulations, the EFL executive will refer the matter to the board if it is deemed appropriate to do so. "It should be noted, however, that the result of Saturday's game will stand in all circumstances and any potential action would be taken against Huddersfield Town directly." Blackpool and Wolves were fined for fielding much-changed teams in Premier League matches in 2010 and 2009 respectively.'

In my youth, I remember Dewsbury rugby league club being fined for fielding a weakened team ahead of a Cup semi-final (which they lost).

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk