<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RLODC Yorks v Derbyshire pre-match thread

May 6 2017 at 11:50 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Squad news:
Andrew Gale has named an unchanged squad to the one that travelled to Worcestershire on Friday.
Yorkshire Vikings 14-man squad to face Derbyshire Falcons:
Gary Ballance (Captain), Tim Bresnan, Karl Carver, Ben Coad, Matthew Fisher, Ryan Gibson, Peter Handscomb (Wicketkeeper), Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steven Patterson, Azeem Rafiq, Will Rhodes, Matthew Waite.

Another tough match for Yorkshire "seconds"!!

They have scored over 300 in both their completed matches winning one and losing one.

Rhodes did not bowl, so I assume he was selected for his batting. Otherwise I would play Coad for him, but doing that would weaken the batting even more and would mean Rafig at 8.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: RLODC Yorks v Derbyshire pre-match thread

May 6 2017, 12:07 PM 

To be fair, Stu, 300 is par nowadays so nothing that special. We should have more than enough for Derbyshire, although I would like us to bat first if we win the toss. I'd also bring Coad in, for either Patto or Fisher. They may as well bring Gibson in for Rhodes, seeing as he's in the squad.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 6 2017, 12:18 PM 

It wouldn't make any sense to put Rhodes in for one match and then drop him. He took a brilliant diving catch on the boundary yesterday, by the way. I can't see any justification for Rafiq currently batting above 10 (if Coad plays) or 11.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 6 2017, 12:54 PM 

I'd bring in Carver/Coad for Patterson.

Problem with dropping Rhodes would be leaving Waite at 7 with a weak tail to follow.

So i'll stick with him for now but at 7 and bowling a few overs.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Weak tail

May 6 2017, 8:24 PM 

I can understand your view in the CC but your top 6 should be able to get most of the batting job done in a 50 over game.

The trick is if the opposition bat first not to let them get too many runs, and taking early wickets is often the key to that.

We don't know that Coad will succeed in getting wickets but I have more confidence in him than in Patterson.

6 bowlers also gives you more options if one has an off day. I would prefer:

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb
Ballance
Leaning
Bresnan
Waite
Rafiq
Fisher
Coad
Carver

I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I wouldn't trust Rhodes to carry the drinks just at the moment. Perhaps play him instead of Carver but only if he's going to be trusted to bowl.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 6 2017, 10:21 PM 

Of the 14 man squad

Lyth
Rhodes
Handscomb
Ballance
Leaning
Gibson
Bresnan
Waite
Rafiq
Fisher
Carver

Though would have liked to see Hodd, Sidebottom and Brooks just to give the squad a bit more experience.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 7 2017, 11:35 AM 

LIke the team selected today, especially inclusion of Coad - good to see three young seamers. Good start, but disappointed Lees got out after two wides. Also good to see Lesning at number 3 which I believe is his best position.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on May 7, 2017 11:37 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk