<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2nd ODI | England vs Ireland at Lords (Match Thread)

May 7 2017 at 6:51 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

May 7, 2017 - 2nd ODI at Lord's, London

ENGLAND from: EJG Morgan*, MM Ali, JM Bairstow†, JT Ball, SW Billings, BM Duckett, ST Finn, AD Hales, LE Plunkett, AU Rashid, JE Root, JJ Roy, DJ Willey, MA Wood
IRELAND from: WTS Porterfield*, A Balbirnie, PKD Chase, GH Dockrell, EC Joyce, AR McBrine, BJ McCarthy, TJ Murtagh, KJ O'Brien, NJ O'Brien†, PR Stirling, SR Thompson, GC Wilson, CA Young

Scorecard
Lords weather
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login WhiteroseDave)

Re: 2nd ODI | England vs Ireland at Lords (Match Thread)

May 7 2017, 2:43 PM 

Brilliant finish from Bairstow & Rashid. They looked like they could play whatever shots they wanted there, 98 off the last 8 overs including 51 in the last 3.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Adios Rashid!

May 7 2017, 3:21 PM 

Another stellar combined performance from the Yorkshire lads. Bitter sweet, though. You can now count out Rashid as regular in the Yorkshire lineup.

It's sad really, but the Tykes have one of the strongest lineups in club history, but will rarely get to field a full-strength team; and will have to fight hard to stay out of the relegation zone in the Championship. Something is very wrong with the current system.
""

(Login Fozzie1973)

May 7 2017, 3:34 PM 

Change the record Alex, we've known all along we'd miss these players, what do you want to happen exactly, got a decent enough team without them, don't see us being in a relegation battle

Alex
Owner

May 7 2017, 4:04 PM 

Fozzie: Whether we've known all along we'd miss these players is not the issue and is a red herring. It doesn't detract from the simple fact that we are running domestic competitions in Britain where the best teams often don't have an opportunity to compete on a fair or equitable basis; and are consistently forced to field weaker sides. While mediocre teams who don't lose players to England are given the advantage of turning out settled sides and their strongest teams.

The County Championship has been turned into a roulette game, based on the inconsistent whims of the ECB. The fiasco last year is a case in point, when Yorkshire were denied their internationals in the Championships decider, even though the players in question were relatively well rested.

Too many matches in the international schedule, is certainly part of the problem, what with Tests, ODI's and T20's scattered throughout the season. As well the ECB should be more flexible in terms of player availability, especially when England is playing second tier teams like Ireland,. As well it should also consider a more efficient, less England-intrusive fixture list. (Using a statistical algorithm might be a solution.)

One way or the other County cricket isn't going to survive as a relevant, high quality competition under the current chaos - although it might already be too late given the mindset of the short-sighted individuals who populate the ECB.

""

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on May 7, 2017 4:18 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 7 2017, 4:20 PM 

I also think it highly unlikely that we'll be in a relegation scrap, we should finish in the top three. I also think we'll have Rashid back once the test matches begin - we only play one spinner in England and Moeen is first choice there. Maybe it's Yorkshire's system that is very wrong in not producing enough mediocre players not of international standard, as well as signing internationals like Willey and Plunkett (tongue firmly in cheek).

Alex
Owner

Odds and sods

May 7 2017, 6:05 PM 

Oh, I agree that Yorkshire should at least stay up, and I've got 50 quid on the Tykes to win the Championship - a bet I place every season. With Sids and Brooks rounding into match fitness, we should generally give our short-handed, somewhat fragile batting reasonable targets.

That said, a film-of-the-book shortened 14-match season, a key injury or an England call-up for Gary Ballance, the vagaries of the weather, the insanity of a 25% demotion factor, and the moods and whims of the sociopaths and "giant brains" who run the ECB, predicting the County Championship is about the most difficult prognostication in team sports. Good teams can get demoted and
mediocre teams can win the title.

""

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on May 7, 2017 6:06 PM

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 7 2017, 7:28 PM 

You're right, of course, Alex. This current crop of Yorkshire players represent something of a Golden Age for the club and yet the incoherence of the county season means they might not have a lot to show for it at the end of the decade.
On the other hand, I've been to three county grounds so far this year - Edgbaston, Trent Bridge and New Road - and at each I heard Yorkshire described at least once (by people who seemed fairly knowledgeable about cricket) as the current county champions. I've heard the same thing said on local radio cricket coverage (one of the Warwickshire commentators, I think) and on Sky the other day, Rob Key said "Yorkshire have won any amount of county championships in recent years". So recognition is there, at some level, from people who know their cricket.
Having said that, the one attitude that is always irritating is when people say, "No wonder Yorkshire win so many matches, look at how big a squad they've got." As though the production of so much talent were a crime...

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 8 2017, 2:08 PM 

YJB seems to be putting forward a pretty solid case for inclusion this ODI team but as has been pointed out........where exactly to you squeeze him in?

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

May 8 2017, 2:12 PM 

That's easy, he replaces Buttler

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 8 2017, 2:38 PM 

He could even open.... or they may want to rest Root ahead of his media duties for the test series.

May 8 2017, 3:26 PM 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-4475010/Joe-Root-faces-axe-England-Twenty20-squad.html

It looks like Root will be "rested" from the T20 side.

As for Bairstow coming in for Buttler, it's a theory!

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 8 2017, 3:28 PM 

Bairstow instead of Hales for me. The "class" batsman will succeed more often. And in the 50-over stuff Bairstow has always been best when opening.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

May 8 2017, 3:34 PM 

Reports of him being rested from future T20s. Good god, he hasn't even capatained the test team yet.

Would it be so bad to make these decisions closer to the time, possibly with some input from Root himself? I understand this is media speculation, but the media talked Cook out of the captaincy just a few months ago.

This message has been edited by WR_Metcalfe on May 8, 2017 3:35 PM

May 8 2017, 3:51 PM 

"Bairstow instead of Hales for me. The "class" batsman will succeed more often. And in the 50-over stuff Bairstow has always been best when opening."

Just to confirm you want to drop Hales, who has scored 963 runs @ 56.64 with 4 hundreds since the start of 2016 as you don't think he has succeeded enough whilst opening?

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 8 2017, 3:52 PM 

Yes.

JG
(Login _JG_)

May 8 2017, 7:11 PM 

I too suspect that opening may be Bairstow's best route into the side; I rate both Hales and Roy highly but the latter in particular has looked quite short of form recently. The other alternative would be Stokes coming in for one of the seamers and Root offering the second spin option rather than Moeen, but given that Bairstow would likely bat at 7 in this scenario do England really need that much batting?

A word for Plunkett's performances in this series alongside the more obvious contributions of his Yorkshire teammates; in his first season with us he got smacked around on a number of occasions in white ball cricket and I questioned his place in what was a poor Yorkshire bowling line-up, so to turn himself into one of the first names on the England team sheet for white ball cricket is quite a turnaround.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk