<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Jay
(Login overman8)

Re: One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Derbyshire at Leeds (Match Thread)

May 8 2017, 2:59 PM 

A fair point, however does this also apply to the CC? As the same issues seem to persist with the usual suspects.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 8 2017, 3:26 PM 

Lees spent 2 years plodding and failing anyway. So i'm not sure this strategy his to blame for him. His inability to rotate the strike is a big factor.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 8 2017, 3:26 PM 

Agreed. And I think there is an argument for Yorkshire not assuming that the lower order will fire in the 50-over stuff. But, for now, that's definitely the way they're playing it. I'm a bit old-fashioned and like to see a team that's lost a couple of wickets doing some proper rebuilding, but I suppose their answer would be that teams don't win matches by scoring 260 any more.
The only Yorkshire 4-day game I've seen this year was at Edgbaston and, to be honest, though their scores weren't high, I thought Lyth and Lees looked very solid on a pitch where the opposition were reduced to 7 for 5! And reports of Leaning's demise seemed greatly exaggerated, though some of the best batting there came from Bresnan (the one match where he seems to have been fluent) and Rashid.

JG
(Login _JG_)

May 8 2017, 7:05 PM 

I'm pretty surprised by some of the negativity on this thread. This was a comfortable victory, Derbyshire weren't in the game from about 15 overs of their chase in, anyone who didn't think that Yorkshire had the game won from that point is just a victim of paranoia about their team's chances. Yes, Lyth, Lees and Lensing didn't go on but they actually made useful contributions and as Dewsburian says expecting teams to score 350 and then criticising batsmen for getting out playing aggressive shots does not add up. I think the claim that we're a three man team is disrespectful too; teams are always going to rely on their best/ most in-form players but we've also had good performances with bat and ball from Waite, Bresnan has bowled a lot better than his wicket haul would suggest and Lyth in averaging 35 at better than a run-a-ball has done much better than some suggest.

Jay
(Login overman8)

May 8 2017, 7:20 PM 

That's why it's called a forum JG, to promote diversity of opinion.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 8 2017, 7:28 PM 

JG --- I must be paranoid then, as I was not 100% certain we would win until about 4 or 5 overs from the end. It was never out of reach for Derbyshire until then, and even then Critchley went ballistic and almost got them back into the game.

It`s probably my pessimistic nature and watching us throw certain wins away on numerous occasions in the past, that I now take the attitude that any match is never won until the last wicket or last run is scored. Surrey, when MV was playing for us, springs to mind when we needed 30 or so off about 10 overs with 9 wickets left and still lost by 20 or so runs.

JG
(Login _JG_)

May 8 2017, 8:20 PM 

Yes, Jay, and my post contributes to that diversity of opinion; yours, on the other hand, is merely patronising and irrelevant.

Stu- I mean this in the nicest way, but you are rather known for your pessimism! I too see ways for Yorkshire to lose when any passionless, reasoned observer would only see one outccome, but in this match Derbys at various points needed 282 from 35 overs, 148 from 15 and 116 from 9; they were never getting there. Critchley's late hitting restored some respectablility to proceedings, much as Fisher's did on Friday at Worcs, but nothing more.

I do fear for our prospects in the latter stages of the comp without the England players (especially Rashid and Plunkett for the middle overs), but I think any suggestion that we are doing anything other than very well so far is a little perverse.

Jay
(Login overman8)

May 8 2017, 8:57 PM 

JG, I think your earlier post was more inclined towards being patronising and a generalisation to refer to others as being 'paranoid'. I feel this is also irrelevant and merely conjecture.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 8 2017, 10:37 PM 

I think there's some mix up between 50 overs and T20 here.

England tend to keep going hard in T20 because they have 11 players who can bat, with Willey or Rashid due to come in at 11.

In the 50 overs we are seeing Root and Morgan play more circumspectly for a good number of overs when the two openers go cheaply. This is to allow for the fact that there is a bit of a tail and 50 overs can be hard going if you lose 4 or 5 early wickets.

Without our England contingent we have a bit more of a tail to worry about and if we lost 4 or 5 early wickets we would be up s### creek, sans paddle.

I'm quite happy for Lyth to go for it until he is out, it worked last season and he's not doing too bad this. He is just missing the big scores that won us a couple of games last season.

I'd have felt happier to see Handscomb come in at the fall of the first wicket followed by Ballance.

I prefer Leaning at 5 where it is easier for him to judge his role, depending on how the innings is going.

We are doing well and we have the ECB 5 back for the next two games.

Weather in Northampton looks invitingly good for Wednesday.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk