<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

Re: Approach for Kohler-Cadmore

May 27 2017, 9:31 PM 

Oddly enough, over the last decade or so, players have been leaving Worcestershire in relegation years AND promotion years. It's often about money, though in some cases London seems to have been the attraction.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 29 2017, 10:42 AM 

Just to add a footnote, there's another Yorkshire youngster now on the Worcester staff who came via the Malvern route. This is the Dewsbury-born slow left-armer Ben Twohig who has had some unspectacular outings with the second XI.
He had a brief moment of fame last winter when he was refused entry to Australia as a result of their much-vaunted immigration and borders policy. Chris Rushworth also tried to enter Australia with deficient paperwork last year and was banned from the country for three years. I wouldn't necessarily want to meet Rushworth in a dark alley in Stockton-on-Tees, but it's hard to see him as a threat to national security (at least when Mitchell Starc tried to enter the UK without a visa, he was allowed to go back and get one).

Rey
(Login Rey2)

May 31 2017, 6:26 PM 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2017/content/story/1100277.html

Well this has escalated a bit. Surely if Worcs aren't going to pick Kohler-Cadmore, there's a chance he'll be released from his contract and come here early.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Cutting off your nose to spite your face!

May 31 2017, 6:56 PM 

Seems like a very stupid thing to do.

If you have a good and successful player for only a limited time I would think it would be best to get the most from him.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

May 31 2017, 7:09 PM 

That Dobell article would suggest very strongly that KC is on his way for next season.
Could be a very good acquisition.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 31 2017, 7:15 PM 

He might even be here earlier than next season if Worcs persist in not picking him - pointless continuing to pay him if that's the case.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 31 2017, 11:57 PM 

This seems like a very childish act by Worcestershire. They didn't proceed that way with Kabir Ali, Solanki or Davies when they knew they were leaving at the end of the season. I wonder if they're now feeling vulnerable over the "poaching" strategy and sending out a message to the other younger players involved.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 1 2017, 10:26 AM 

It is a childish act by Worcestershire. The only ones to suffer are themselves as they no longer have KC`s runs for the rest of this season, yet still have to pay his salary. A pointless gesture.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

June 1 2017, 11:06 AM 

"The Yorkshire County Cricket Club can confirm that Tom Kohler-Cadmore has agreed to join the Club for the 2018 season and beyond. The Club will provide futher details once the deal is finalised."

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 1 2017, 12:24 PM 

Now that he's actually going to sign, I'll admit that I've checked Wisden and the name is, in fact, Köhler-Cadmore. You can get the umlaut on the O by holding down the Alt key and typing 148, though you have to have your numbers lock on. As the Germanists among you will be aware, the Köhler part means charcoal-burner.
Only a handful of Yorkshire players have had double-barrelled names (Chichester-Constable, Lister-Kay and Hannon-Dalby spring to mind), but he will surely be the first to have an umlaut in his name.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 1 2017, 2:03 PM 

Or an alternative to the ummaut is to add an e (Koehler-Cadmore)- may be easier for some of us to do that than find out where the umlaut is on our keyboard!

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 1 2017, 2:52 PM 

I've just received the following statement in an email from WOrcestershire:

"Worcestershire County Cricket Club can confirm Tom Kohler-Cadmore communicated his position yesterday regarding his desire to leave the club at the end of the 2017 season.

Further discussions will take place between the player, his representative and the club over the next seven days."

They seem to want to play hardball on this one. As I said earlier, there's a whole player-acquisition strategy at stake - and "acquisition" is a euphemism.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 1 2017, 3:22 PM 

Martin -- Or an alternative to the ummaut is to add an e (Koehler-Cadmore)- may be easier for some of us to do that than find out where the umlaut is on our keyboard!

...or just call him KC, which I will do!

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 1 2017, 8:39 PM 

if worcester have dropped the lad for tomorrows game and he is determined to play for yorkshire next year, he may as well come to yorkshire immediately. he will just stir up more discontent staying there. just get him off the payroll.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Tom Kohler-Cadmore

June 2 2017, 7:58 AM 

I wonder whether any Yorkshire batsmen currently on the books may now be considered surplus to requirements ?
T K-C will jump the queue, limiting still further the aspirations of Rhodes, Gibson, Tattersall and even Leaning.
Add to the mixture the burgeoning talent of Harry Brook, and I can foresee a number of possible departures at the end of the season.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 2 2017, 8:28 AM 

I'm not convinced by any of this..
I remember Richard Harden always scored runs against us but could never score any runs for us.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 2 2017, 8:43 AM 

I like the fact that he already has strong links to the club. I also like the fact that this gives a gentle kick up the backside to the likes of Leaning and Rhodes, who have both stagnated a little.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 2 2017, 9:22 AM 

Worcts are shooting themselves in the foot by not picking him and other players tempted to go there may think twice at their approach and look at other options if available.

Let's not forget that in this instance Worcts with the help of Malvern posched KC from Yorkshire in the first place. At least they should loan him out to a team in the other division if they stubbornly refuse to pick him.

Welcome (back) to Yorkshire where we are better at treating our players fairly in the current era at lrast

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 2 2017, 9:26 AM 

The consensus on the forum in recent months seems to have been that, with Root, Bairstow (and at times Rashid) away with England, the county lacks batting depth. Since I don't see Tim Bresnan as a no. 5 in a championship-winning side and it would actually be quite nice to have him at 7, I can't currently see a threat to Jack Leaning's place, though it would be healthy if Rhodes or Tattersall could mount one. Having taken Tattersall back and given him short-term contracts, he is, to some extent, "on trial". I really hope Rhodes isn't, as he looks like a class player to me who has just got a bit caught between levels (almost too good for 2nd XI, but not having a clear opportunity to start a 1st XI career). I was a little bit surprised that Ryan Gibson wasn't given an odd game in the 50-over tournament. Perhaps if we hadn't been challenging for the latter stages, he would have got his chance.
Sadly, there's always a lot of "wastage" at 2nd XI level, but the loan system now in place ought to make it possible to test players fully before they are released. Perhaps if Worcs. won't pick Köhler-Cadmore, they'll take Will Rhodes on loan? Maybe not. But Gloucs. might be a possibility, as with Josh Shaw last year. And a loan situation might even be helpful to the likes of Brook.

Eastriding
(Login eastriding)

June 2 2017, 9:28 AM 

Its a fairly common thing in Football for a player who is being linked to a transfer to miss a match, the theory being that their mind is elsewhere. Once Worcestershire are happy with the transfer (OK so they probably aren't) they'll play the lad on the basis that you make the best use of the resources you have while you have them...

As far the younger Yorkshire players are concerned, warning is served but nothing has changed, if you bat well in 2nd or 1st XI cricket you'll force your way into the squad and stay there

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk