<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Overseas players

May 8 2017 at 6:53 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Jawardene signs for Lancashire as a "kolpack". That makes 5 overseas for them (Chanderpaul, Jarvis, Khan & Vilas the others) about the same as most other counties. The situation with overseas players, is really getting stupid now. It should be 1 per county (2 in the T20) or heavily penalised financially by lack of ECB grants. We have up to 5 of our players away with England most of the time, while sides could, if they so wished, sign 11 overseas players and be guaranteed 100% availability for them all, all season. What a crazy, crazy situation.

The latest reason - his wife is Danish. You could not make it up!!!

The rules need looking at, or stiff financial penalties imposed.

From BBC Sport.

".......Jayawardene is their second signing for the Blast, which runs from 7 July to 2 September, and will play alongside Pakistan fast bowler Junaid Khan.

He does not count as an overseas player as he has been granted a spousal visa because his wife is Danish......."

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 8, 2017 6:57 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login matthefish2002)

Re: Overseas players

May 8 2017, 8:40 PM 

Yes I agree 100% with this.
I dont know the legality of with holding ECB grants for counties who sign more then one overseas but should be looked into.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

May 8 2017, 8:52 PM 

did we miss a trick with peter handscomb, both his parents are english, but playing for australia probably stops us signing another overseas.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 8 2017, 8:53 PM 

Lancashire regularly field a number of home players. In their last game they had Brown, Davies, Hameed, Livingstone, Croft, Clark, Parry, Kerrigan and Anderson. If we're going to withhold payments for teams which produce this number of academy players then we'll be withholding a lot of money.
Alongside Yorkshire and Durham I think Lancs do a good job with producing palyers.
The county game would be a lot better for me if every team fielded 8 home grown players a match.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 8 2017, 9:38 PM 

I wonder how much they are paying him!

He'll be 40 soon so they may be investing in his name and reputation rather than what he is likely to produce on the field.

I think Lancashire, or Emirates Old Trafford, take the Natwest T20 a bit more seriously than we do in terms of revenue generation and this is another wheeze to get a few more people through the gates.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 8 2017, 9:43 PM 

So if they have such a pipeline of home grown talent why do they have five kolpaks and an overseas player? You don't shell out for kolpaks and spousal visa players and leave them on the bench.

May 8 2017, 10:15 PM 

They played 8 home grown players in their last match, so they must be leaving a few on the bench.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

May 9 2017, 8:28 AM 

Jawardene signs for Lancashire as a "kolpack".

The latest reason - his wife is Danish. You could not make it up!!!

First, he's not a Kolpak player - as you say, he qualifies because of his Danish wife. Second, there's no need to make it up - it's the way the law works, and cricket can't just ignore it. The ECB has (rightly, I think) tried to incentivise counties into playing young England-qualified players (like the former Lancs player Adrian Shankar), but if a county believes that they are better-served by playing qualified non-England players, then so be it.

Personally, I'd look at Surrey, Middlesex and Durham and their use of Irish players as more of a concern than signing up a few superannuated stars for the T20.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 9 2017, 9:02 AM 

But it will backfire on those counties when Ireland get test status and their centrally contracted players become unavailable at the height of the county season.

8 + 5 = 13 so plus the returning Buttler and less Anderson who goes to England means 2 home grown or 2 Kolpak/non English qualified being out of favour. Leave out the kolpaks and you've wasted your money....

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 9 2017, 3:05 PM 

Just for info there are 83 Non England qualified players at the various counties. In my earlier posting re Jawardene I stated Lancashire already had 4 - they actually already have 5 ,I had forgot Maclaren, so now in total 6.

Source Playfair 2017. Since the publication date of 9/3, some may have left and others joined, I have included late arrivals, Head for us and Jawardene for Lancashire, but there may be more.

Derbyshire 6
Durham 4
Essex 6
Glamorgan 4
Gloucestershire 6
Hampshire 5
Kent 1
Lancashire 6
Leics. 5
Middlesex 7
Northants 4
Notts 4
Somerset 6
Surrey 4
Sussex 7
Warwickshire 4
Worcestershire 2
Yorkshire 2

2 for each county would be ideal for me, so, imo, 47 to many at the moment. I know there is no way we can lawfully stop it through employment law, so we need financial penalties in place to try and restrict it. It is getting out of hand, IMO.

It should be a standard annual grant of 1/2m to every county from the ECB, reduced by 150K for every overseas player above 2. Some of the counties would owe the ECB!!! It might make them think twice about employing overseas players.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 9, 2017 3:54 PM

May 9 2017, 3:19 PM 

The ECB already do incentivise counties to product their own players though. The problem is the likes of Bransgrove at Hants has such deep pockets he wouldn't worry about losing out on, say £200k, for signing Abbott and Roussouw but other counties would suffer most.

Am also thankful you weren't in charge of hand outs when we had the likes of Rudolph, Kruis, Jaques, Gray, Rafiq, Blain playing for us, we'd be in even more debt than now!!!!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 9 2017, 3:22 PM 

...and Brophy.

True re incentives, but there are no dis-incentives in place. Keep the incentives, bring in some dis-incentives. The players you mentioned did not ever all play at the same time though, but we would now have an even bigger debt, if they had, and a similar system had been in place.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 9, 2017 3:34 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 9 2017, 3:43 PM 

Am also thankful you weren't in charge of hand outs when we had the likes of Rudolph, Kruis, Jaques, Gray, Rafiq, Blain playing for us, we'd be in even more debt than now!!!!

At least three of those were qualified to play for England if selected and one skippered the England under 19s.

Not quite the same as the raft of kolpaks lancs and Hants currently hsve

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

May 9 2017, 4:03 PM 

And the post rather gives the impression they were all on the books at the same time, which of course they were not.

Gray was a pretty daft selection however.

(Login dpressed)

May 9 2017, 6:11 PM 

And Rafiq would be eligable for an ECB grant has he came through the Yorkshire accademy

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Neil Wagner

May 9 2017, 10:03 PM 

Another problem with overseas is that their board can just whisk them away.

Wagner called up out of the blue as cover for New Zealand's matches against Ireland and Bangladesh. Tough luck on Essex, think the same thing happened to him last year when he was with Lancashire.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk