<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: One-day Cup | Northants vs Yorkshire at Northampton (Match Thread)

May 10 2017, 6:29 PM 

Game over 7-3. Duckett, Cobb & Levi out, their three best batsmen.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 10 2017, 6:29 PM 

That should slow them down a bit. Waiting for it to go to R5SX so I can get the evening sun in my shed.

Might even crack a couple of ales, glorious weather at last at the seaside.

(Login matthefish2002)

May 10 2017, 6:31 PM 

Wouldnt quite say game over but game firmly in Yorkshires favour.

Hullensian
(Login Hullensian)

May 10 2017, 6:36 PM 

Shiver me timbers now Robert Newton's gone!

This message has been edited by Hullensian on May 10, 2017 6:37 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

May 10 2017, 7:10 PM 

Stu in counting chickens shocker??

We seem to be developing a rather useful knack of someone standing up when it's really needed; in previous games it had been Bairstow, Rashid, Handscomb, today (and not for the first time) it was Ballance. Judging merely from the scorecard that looks a superb innings. Big vote of confidence in Waite to bat him ahead of Rashid and Willey which he responded to brilliantly, good to see Rashid follow up his runs for England with runs for us and also Coad to transfer his red ball form into the 50 over format.

I suspect a few counties might swap for our "depleted" attack of three current England internationals and the form bowler in county cricket this season by the way...

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

May 10 2017, 7:18 PM 

Centuries are so vital in 50 over cricket, you rarely lose if you have a centurian. Good to see Bairstow, Ballance and Handscomb have all got them this year.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 10 2017, 7:32 PM 

Thanks JG, I am not always overly pessimistic!!happy.gif

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

May 10 2017, 8:03 PM 

Job done.
Most efficiently.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 10 2017, 8:04 PM 

Very impressive.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 10 2017, 8:10 PM 

Superb win considering our score at the halfway point of our innings. I'm so chuffed for Gary Ballance.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 10 2017, 8:44 PM 

3 missed chances by them, but still a cracking win.

(Login Lewis_116)

May 10 2017, 9:08 PM 

What a great win.

Balance of the team looks good. The emergence and investment in the likes of Fisher, Coad and Waite is starting to show.

I wonder if Waite can develop into the batting all rounder at 6? I feel ita a position too high for Bresnan who looks better from 7.

Yet again Balance leads the way. Howevver worth pointing out that our top 5 have all scored 50's at least. You feel a biggie is around the corner for Lyth. Lees and Leaning are still to show their class.

The bowling looks good. We are developing towards a team with a young bowling spine all of a sudden. Wickets are being shared out too.

We must continue to invest in Lees Leaning Coad Fisher Waite and Rhodes. They are all still young and are so important when the ECB nab our players.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 10 2017, 9:31 PM 

A reminder of why Gary was considered an ODI pick. I still have his innings from 2012? In that T20 game v Worcestershire on my sky box where he hit four sixes in the final over. Brilliant

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 10 2017, 11:00 PM 

Remember the worcts game too when Gary and Miller smashed it to all parts but their overseas pro responded well.

The sadly missed Philip Hughes I recall.

Great win today. Toughed it out after loss of early wickets whereas they couldn't. Did someone suggest leaving Rafiq out?!

(Login TykeTim)

May 10 2017, 11:05 PM 

I was sat in the pavilion near the end of our innings and I swear I saw their fielder parry a catch over the boundary. The umpire signalled 4 and I shouted at Kleinvelt who would have had a clear view but neither fielder gave a sign.

Did I get it wrong or did they cheat us out of two runs?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 10 2017, 11:23 PM 

If they did they got their just desserts.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

May 10 2017, 11:27 PM 

Shiver me timbers now Robert Newton's gone!

If you ask me, Newton failed to appreciate the gravity of the situation.

JG
(Login _JG_)

May 10 2017, 11:50 PM 

Big centuries definitely win you matches, and remarkably the six games we have played this season have produced the third, fifth and eleventh highest one-day scores in Yorkshire's​ history.

Great effort all round today, with strong contributions from at least another 6 players (Waite, Rashid, Coad, Willey, Plunkett, Rafiq) alongside Ballance's star turn. I will repeat my assertion that we are not a three man team, although I recognise that when one player performs to the level that Ballance did today it helps to raise the boats of the others.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on May 10, 2017 11:55 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 11 2017, 7:01 AM 

Very convincing bowling performance and especially good that Coad again and Rafiq were among the wickets. The early removal of their most dangerous batsmen was crucial. We will need the newer players to be in good form when we lose our test stars.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

May 11 2017, 9:58 AM 

Regarding the catch on the boundary mentioned by Tyke Tim. I had a fairly clear view and was pretty convinced he dropped it over the boundary for six. So did a Northants supporter near me. The key person was not the fielder but a yellow bibbed colleague who was just delivering him a drink at the time. He signalled four at once, and to be honest I'm fairly sure it was deliberate cheating.

I thought we looked thoroughly professional in the field, but Rafiq's wickets disguise the fact that he was much the weakest bowler, and hitting him seemed to give the batsmen a 'sighter' to attack Rashid who had looked in mesmeric control up to that point. It didn't matter by then, but in different circumstances it could have been very damaging.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk