<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
JG
(Login _JG_)

Re: One-day Cup | Northants vs Yorkshire at Northampton (Match Thread)

May 11 2017, 10:39 AM 

Rafiq does seem to get much better returns when bowling in partnership with Rashid. Definitely something in the batsmen targeting the weaker bowler theory- the same happened in the Lancs game, although Rafiq in his own right bowled fairly well then. Not sure what useful knowledge we can take from this for when Rashid isn't around though...

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

May 11 2017, 10:59 AM 

Fantastic win there yesterday. Just hope this glorious weather holds for Edgbaston on Sunday.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 11 2017, 11:49 AM 

Rafiqs economy rate this season in 50 over matches. * = with rashid

v Northants 6.47 *
v Derbys 6.60
v Worcs 7.62
v Durham 7.50 *
v Lancs 5.04 *
v Notts 6.60 *.

He has had one good match ( v Lancs) but to expensive in the others. I am not saying that Carver is any better, but we will have problems in the quarters or semis without Rashid, as we will be playing one of the top three sides in the Southern Group (so no gimmees).

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 11, 2017 11:50 AM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 11 2017, 11:57 AM 

Resulted in him taking more wickets though..

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 11 2017, 12:18 PM 

I think this reflects the changing role of spinners in ODIs. Another way of looking at their figures is strike rate.

Rafiq has taken a wicket every 25 balls in the RL Cup this season, whereas Rashid has taken one every 35 (but has a better economy rate)

I think there is an acceptance that it is hard to be economical in this day and age but taking regular wickets is the best way of keeping the overall score down. If you can achieve economy as well then so much the better. It doesn't matter if you go for seven an over if a side is bowled out - yesterday being a case in point.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

May 11 2017, 12:55 PM 

But the game was basically dead by the time he came on, and wickets were being thrown away. I don't think you can read much into yesterday as far as Rafiq is concerned.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 11 2017, 12:59 PM 

I've started a new thread on the whole subject of argument by statistics. Some of the comments, above, are much in keeping with my own views.

DW
(Login Bergenopzoom)

Dropped boundary catch

May 11 2017, 1:07 PM 

If you're referring to the drop by Sanderson off Balance with about 3 overs to go I was sitting in the yellow seats quite closeby.

The ball clearly hit the ground before the rope and then rolled over. It was definitely a 4.

DW
(Login Bergenopzoom)

Rafiq

May 11 2017, 1:11 PM 

I'm not sure whether he earned or bought his 3 wickets yesterday. His first few overs were like slow medium pace with no flight, and they got tapped. He got better and more confident as he went on and his two wickets caught at a very deep long on were as a result of slower deliveries. The first though would have been a 6 on most grounds.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 11 2017, 1:31 PM 

It seems Rafiq was in a no win situation then. Goes for runs gets stick. Takes wickets and they're worthless.

At that stage of the game against Kleinveldt there's no way he's going to come on and bowl 5 overs for nothing.

It's even poor Azeem's fault Rashid got hit for a couple of sixes!

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk