<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Production Line

May 11 2017 at 11:48 AM
LUTyke  (Login Y4EV)

After the last few years of joy and success it seems there could yet be even more exciting times ahead for Yorkshire with the likes of Coad, Fisher, Waite and Carver coming through at the right time to replace an aging bowling attack. The big concern however is that we don't seem to be producing batsmen as prolifically as bowlers, we could really do with Lyth, Lees, Leaning and Rhodes stepping up a level. Looking forward to watching how the next few years are going to unfold, lets hope more happy days are just around the corner.

This message has been edited by Y4EV on May 11, 2017 11:51 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login dikaiopolis)

Re: The Production Line

May 11 2017, 12:10 PM 

I was at the 2nds at Harrogate yesterday, and Rhodes and especially Lees looked a class apart, albeit against a callow Warwickshire bowling attack; hopefully batting themselves into good form for when they are needed back in the 1st XI. Hodd, Wainman and particularly Brooks also enjoyed getting stuck into the bowling.

Scorecard at:https://www.totalcricketscorer.com/TCSLive/TCSScorecard.aspx?id=56567

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 11 2017, 12:23 PM 

Not so worried about Lyth and Lees - they have had quiet starts to the season, but both scored 1000 runs last year, and have in previous years, and both have career averages of 40ish. Putting together partnerships is a different (mental?) issue that we look for in openers, but if they batted down the order we wouldn't be questioning their performances to the same extent.

Rhodes and Leaning do need to kick on (and the likelihood is that at least one of them will be playing every game for the remainder of the season, so they will have a run.) - it probably is make or break time for both of them this year I would suggest. The approach to Kohler Cadmore suggests that the club is concerned about the lack of batting resources.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 11 2017, 12:23 PM 

I was going to go today but, with Warwicks effectively 18 for 5 in their second innings, I didn't bother. Their lower order has made a few runs, but it's too late to bother now.

A lot of very good players on view, especially Yorkshire, but also Westwood for Warwicks; plus Umeed and Mellor, who both played in CC against us. Warwicks members spoke highly of Singh, too.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

May 11 2017, 9:08 PM 

And this is why success from developing players is so much more rewarding than buying it via the Kolpak route.

From the next generation it seems Warner, Barnes and Logan are the bowlers to watch and Brooks (Harry) the batter we have high hopes for.

As an aside, i still expect Rhodes to make the grade as a batsman.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 11 2017, 10:50 PM 

I'm struggling to see why it's "make-or-break time" for Rhodes, aged 22, this year. If that's the case, why wasn't it "make-or-break time" for Coad, aged 23, last year?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 11 2017, 11:15 PM 

You could say that Coad has had to wait for his chance with a lot of good quality fast bowlers keeping him out. Now he has had his chance it looks like he has taken it with both hands.

Rhodes on the other hand seems to have had quite a few chances and failed to take them. He's been pushing at an open door when Yorkshire have needed his talents and he has consistently failed to deliver.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 12 2017, 10:20 AM 

Rhodes didn't fail to deliver in the early part of the 2015 season when he was suddenly asked to open the batting. He made useful runs at New Road (45*) and against Warwickshire at home (46 and 29). Later in the summer, again opening with Alex Lees, he scored 10 and 79 in the win at Edgbaston.
I'd call that a reasonably good start to a CC career. Has he had a bit of a dip since then? Yes, but he's not the first and won't be the last.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk