<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

Re: Statistics

May 13 2017, 11:38 AM 

Some of the innings that marked Vaughan out as a test player were in games where he made an outstanding, but still low, score in difficult conditions. My own personal recollection is of first seeing him make a really good 50 when everyone else looked entirely at sea. Unfortunately, I know for a fact this was either at Abbeydale or Chesterfield or Derby, but I can't for the life of me remember which. Later, a fifty at Edgbaston against a very hostile Allan Donald convinced me that he should be in the test team. That would be around 1996-7, a couple of years before his actual test debut. Of course, a brilliant 50 against Allan Donald, followed by a low score in the second innings, leaves you with an average that's under 30 for the game. But Vaughan's reputation for scoring runs on difficult tracks and in poor conditions definitely went round the county scene, where it was generally recognized that opening at Headingley, for example, was never easy.

I was privileged to see Vaughan's last game at Worcester, which was very odd indeed. He came out to bat in the evening and anyone who had wandered into the ground would have known they were watching one of the great batsmen. The next morning, he couldn't lay bat on ball. Whether it was the knee or whether he just couldn't get himself up for the challenge mentally, I don't know, but something significant seemed to have happened. He announced his retirement a couple of weeks later.
The game at Worcester is also notable for a Yorkshire innings in which JM Bairstow made 0 and Azeem Rafiq, batting at 9, scored a very confident maiden century. Bairstow and Vaughan were both dismissed by a bowler called Chris Whelan. I thought Whelan seemed a real prospect and occasionally mention his name at New Road, but few of the locals remember him.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 13 2017, 6:21 PM 

Thanks for that quality post, Dewsburian. Fascinating recollections.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 13 2017, 11:33 PM 

My pleasure, though feel free to let me know if I start telling the same stories over again.

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

May 14 2017, 11:42 AM 

Odd how the memory plays tricks on you. I thought I remembered MPV getting a century at the last game that Yorkshire played at St Georges Road in 1996 but it turns out it was a fast fire 61 (out of 89 for 0) to win the game. A beautiful player to watch when driving.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 14 2017, 1:13 PM 

Sadly my best memories of Vaughan are from the winter Ashes tour when he pulled the Aussie seamers off what looked like a good length to most batsmen but he had a weakness in that he kept getting out on the 190s I recall.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk