<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

A recurring nightmare

May 11 2017 at 4:04 PM

Alex  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

I see Gary Ballance has moved to the top of the PCA MVP table. (overall performance in all formats)

This of course plays into my recurring nightmare that Mr. Ballance will be called up for England duties - possibly in more than one format. Given that he is the Yorkshire captain and has single-handily won several matches for us already this year, and has proven to be our only reliable run-maker, would Yorkshire still be a contender without him in the lineup? Note also that Root, Bairstow, Rashid, Willy and Plunkett will all be missing for some or most of the remainder of the season.

Is Yorkshire's season in the "Ballance," and now essentially dependent on the whims of the "giant brains" at the ECB?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: A recurring nightmare

May 11 2017, 4:17 PM 

My nightmare is more players being picked for the lions team. If they take coad and fisher or others we will struggle.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 11 2017, 5:03 PM 

Probably the reason Patto batted at 5 today and scored 45* for the 2s.

You think I'm not serious?

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 11 2017, 5:05 PM 

Since Ballance has an England incremental contract, there is always going to be a possibility of an England recall if he is amongst the runs.

I would not be surprised if Ballance is called up to England's Champions Trophy squad as an injury replacement, he is the 4th highest England qualified run scorer in the Royal London Cup. Same with Peter Handscomb for Australia who is the 2nd leading runscorer

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/royal-london-one-day-cup-2017/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=11615;type=tournament

(on a side note, a certain overhyped Lancastrian is not even on the list)

In the unlikely event of losing both Handscomb and Ballance to the Champions Trophy, Yorkshire's batting will look rather light. Andrew Gale might need to get his pads on!

Lyth
Lees
Tattersall/Callis
Leaning
Rhodes
Bresnan
Hodd
Rafiq
Brooks
Sidebottom
Coad

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 11 2017, 5:10 PM 

(on a side note, a certain overhyped Lancastrian is not even on the list)

Who?

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Ballance by-the-numbers

May 11 2017, 6:51 PM 

It's not IF Ballance will be called up, it's WHEN.

Ballance in the first third of the season. (First-class and List A)

Runs 934
Avg. 103.78
50's 4
100's 4

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on May 11, 2017 6:52 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 11 2017, 7:15 PM 

I can't see Ballance coming into the England equation until at least the second Test series of the summer, unless there's an injury crisis.

They won't change their Champions Trophy side now and if they get a batting injury Bairstow will move in and the much hyped Livingstone will come in as cover.

The selectors will surely give Hameed and Jennings at least the SA series before hitting the panic button if they don't make the grade.

They might even still be daft enough to entertain playing Buttler as a batsman.

Root may speak up for him of course but I should imagine he would want to get his feet under the table before he starts making suggestions.

If he could have a couple of unlucky dismissals in the next couple of games that might be good, as long as someone else gets the winning runs for Yorkshire of course.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

May 11 2017, 7:58 PM 

I'd think Jennings might be ahead of Livingstone as the next ODI batsman. I think he's a much better player and has a bit of England squad experience

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

May 11 2017, 8:40 PM 

If memory serves me right the issue with Balance was technique to tall pacemen with bouncers as part of their armery.

In the CC I can think of Wood, Helm, J Overton, Footitt and Wood who have at least the pace. Stone apparently has pace but he is injured.

My point is that he is back to his brilliant best but have no idea if he has overcome those issues.

Livingstone is someone I rate and would prefer instead of Ali batting 7. He looks steady with the ball and very impressive with the bat.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

May 11 2017, 8:45 PM 

He's good enough, its 'when' not 'if'. I think he'll make the overseas tour, not so sure about the summer series.

Although people such as Guddins, Bell-drummond, Northeast, Malan, Clarke, Alsop as well as Livingstone come into consideration, I think Gary is the best of the lot and we know 'England' do like him.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

May 11 2017, 9:07 PM 

Unless they get a glut of injuries we should be safe while they play the one day stuff. However if he keeps this form up I think it's inevitable that he'll at least be in "The Squad" for the first Test of the summer in July. If we lose Fisher and Coad for the Lions s***e I'll be furious

This message has been edited by twelthman on May 11, 2017 9:08 PM

Otley
(Login Otley)

A recurring nightmare

May 12 2017, 1:45 PM 

Having seen Handscomb's recent performances I have the same fear - Australian injury early in the Champions Trophy and he is called up, missing 3 CC games for us. Or is the squad fixed once the Tournament starts (hopefully)?

This message has been edited by Otley on May 12, 2017 1:47 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 12 2017, 2:02 PM 

James Vince has scored more runs than Gary in the one day cup at a better average, and he's scored another ton today. Another player highly rated by England. Sometimes it helps to take off the (white) rose tinted glasses.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 12 2017, 2:17 PM 

I just don't think Ballance is remotely near to selection in the one day set up. He was unfortunate to be picked for that ill-fated World Cup campaign which didn't help his cause and I just think there are many players ahead of him now. Unfair because on current form he is an incredibly effective one day performer - the ability to score at a run a ball in almost any circumstances and then explode towards the end.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 12 2017, 4:07 PM 

To summarise:

We will lose Root, Bairstow, Rashid, Plunkett and Willey to the ODI side.

We will lose Root, Bairstow, Rashid and Ballance to the Test side.

We will lose Lees, Leaning, Fisher and Coad to the Lions, of whom Bresnan is the obvious captain.

We will lose Handscomb to the Aussies ODI side.

What have Hodd, Patterson, Rafiq and Brooks done wrong?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 12 2017, 5:51 PM 

I'd suggest therapy!

Think the Lions bowling is more likely to contain one or two Overton's and Curran's rather than a Fisher and a Coad.

Lees and Leaning are struggling to get in the Yorkshire team and Tim has had his day in the sunshine.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk