<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Second 11 ground selection

May 11 2017 at 5:02 PM
Phil  (Login PhiltheYorkshirefan)

Anyone know why the YO postcode's get so many?

Just having a look and I'm hoping to get to the T/20 second 11 game at Barnsley.

Is it because it's so hard to get to Headingley from the York postcode area's?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Second 11 ground selection

May 11 2017, 5:07 PM 

I think it may be the willingness of the local club to put the game on that may be the deciding factor. York and Stamford Bridge show obvious pride in hosting 2nd XI games - I'm not sure about some of the others. (Nothing against Barnsley, as I've never attended a Yorkshire game there.)

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Second XI ground selection

May 11 2017, 5:17 PM 

Sad to see Todmorden no longer on the list. That club also took pride in mounting the games with lots of volunteers of both sexes helping.
With tongue firmly in cheek, perhaps I may point out that the second XI coach lives near York. 😊

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 11 2017, 6:41 PM 

Thought MM explained at the AGM that the pitches weren't up to scratch in South Yorkshire.

Don't shoot the messenger I have no view either way.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

May 11 2017, 9:03 PM 

I've also heard it said about the pitches especially for the three day games.

Dave: I'd recommend Shaw Lane, Barnsley. Its often the best attended 2s day of the season.

Although I quite like Stamford Bridge (and its actually fairly accessible from South Yorks - M18 to Howden and then quiet country roads to the ground) it seems to do unexplainably well in the allocation.
I once challenged Simon Mann from the members committee about this, his response was that everyone likes the bacon sandwiches at Stamford Bridge.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 12 2017, 4:15 AM 

Hi Sid
I know Shaw Lane because Barnsley Schools used to use it (and Kexborough) for their home games. I umpired there once when we only had three bails between the two of us, had to move one to the strikers end each over!

It's Steve Mann, by the way, and I've no idea who his successor is in a role he carried out with huge diligence. You may have got a flippant answer for getting his name wrong!

Phil
(Login PhiltheYorkshirefan)

May 12 2017, 4:55 PM 

Thanks for the replys to this thread.
I wasn't saying it should be at Barnsley or any club. Rafiq, Ballance and Joe Root have all played on South Yorkshire pitches as home pitch before.

Still think it's strange how 3 of the grounds Yorkshire use are York Postcode

This message has been edited by PhiltheYorkshirefan on May 12, 2017 4:56 PM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 12 2017, 5:04 PM 

Only three balls between the two of you? Umpiring with Hitler were you, Dave?

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

May 12 2017, 9:53 PM 

Apologies for my mistake regarding the first name of the members rep - Stephen Mann rather than Simon.

His comment about the bacon sandwiches at Stamford Bridge was probably flippant although behind it may have been a more serious point. Stamford Bridge CC make an effort when YCCC come to town and its appreciated. They deserve to keep their fixtures. I think Barnsley CC do, I'm not sure about Harrogate and York.

Attendances at Stamford Bridge and Barnsley are pretty good, York is generally ok with Harrogate perhaps a little disappointing although to be fair my visits in the last few years have tended to be early season and the weather has been poor.

Attendances for the 2s at Leeds are really poor. Watching, and possibly playing, is a fairly uninspiring activity. I've never been over to Scarborough for a 2s game.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

May 12 2017, 10:56 PM 

marske has a good turn out, although they only have t20 this season.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 12 2017, 11:02 PM 

I have actually booked a 3-night stay for the Roses 2nd XI game at Scarborough. I will be travelling direct from Taunton, so I'm hoping we can polish Somerset off by early afternoon, day 4.

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Second 11 ground selection

May 12 2017, 11:34 PM 

Marsker - as you indicate,the game at Marske is usually well supported but this year the fixture coincides with a Championship game (v Somerset) at Scarborough. Even though the opposition at Marske is Durham, I would expect support - unfortunately - to be much lower than normal. Not brilliant planning on someone's part !

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk