<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Jay
(Login overman8)

Re: One-Day Cup | Warwickshire vs Yorkshire at Birmingham (Match Thread)

May 14 2017, 5:52 PM 

Sadly Durham have capitulated, with the exception of a couple of players, this has been a very poor performance today. At least we've made it through, regardless of what happens.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 14 2017, 5:54 PM 

This (probable) defeat might even stop people bemoaning the absence of our England players in future! (Tongue firmly in cheek).

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 14 2017, 5:56 PM 

2nd place beckons, even if we beat Leicestershire unless Worcestershire lose on Tuesday v Derbyshire, which is very unlikely.

The worse possible scenario for us, as explained earlier on this thread., plus, as you say TM, we are not going to win two k/o matches with a reserve team. One might have been possible with loads of luck and some outstanding performances, but two - NO!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 14, 2017 6:03 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 14 2017, 6:08 PM 

These 'reserves' like Coad and Fisher that everyone wants in the team?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 14 2017, 6:12 PM 

We just got gubbed with the first team out, Stu. The 'reserves' would have every chance of progressing.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

May 14 2017, 6:29 PM 

Well it looks like we have another game to watch.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 14 2017, 6:34 PM 

TwelthMan used the term "seconds", I used the term "reserves" in assessing our chances.

Whichever is more apt, does anyone seriously think that if our strongest X1 can not win, that our "under strength" team will, especially after a very likely trip of 400 miles from Taunton back to Headingley for the semi-final the previous evening, arriving home about 2 or 3 am, with a match starting 8 hours later.

We will just have to beat Somerset in the CC in 3 days!!

Top will be us or Worcestershire.

3rd could be any of 4 - Durham, Notts, Leics or Lancs.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 14, 2017 6:40 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 14 2017, 6:52 PM 

DId anyone else have the same impression I had about complacency today? The absence of any pre match information/team selection on the website and strange omission of both Coad and Fisher, our main strike bowlers this season surprised me and our batting was careless and sloppy. We have seen this kind of thing happen before when we ease off after winning a few matches. Every match should be treated as important and the coach and captan need to ensure that all of the players are fully focused, including the England quintet who did little today, except for Roots batting.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

May 14 2017, 7:10 PM 

As it stands we would play a near full strength Surrey (minus Roy) at Headingley. They would at least have a similar dash up north, should it go the distance, as they face Essex at Guildford while we are at Taunton.

This message has been edited by twelthman on May 14, 2017 7:48 PM

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

May 14 2017, 8:26 PM 

Just back from Birmingham.
Disappointing.
Best bowlers on show - Barker and Patel.
Best batsmen on show - Trott and Bell.
Soundly and deservedly beaten.
Excuses? Hardly any. Perhaps there was a little more swing in the morning for Barker to exploit. His first ball to Lyth was an almost unplayable beauty.
Yorkshire's innings was never really fluent. Bairstow was out lobbing to mid on. It may have stopped a little on him but the shot lacked conviction and served as a summary of the whole innings. Root played quite well but was never at his fluent best. Ballance worked hard and carefully to lay the foundations of an innings and then threw it away by pulling carelessly to long leg. Handscomb came and went, anonymously on this occasion. Perhaps the most fluent batting came from Bresnan who showed signs of wanting to exploit an extremely short boundary on the Rae Bank side of the ground. Waite kept him decent company after a sketchy start. Just as the final acceleration should have taken place, both were out and Jeetan Patel was a wily old cove at the end. 280 was serviceable but disappointing given our batting strength and slightly less than we might have anticipated after 45 overs.
Barker bowled with an intelligence and control that none of Yorkshire's seamers could match. Bell did a splendid job of shielding a battery of very inexperienced and rather ordinary seamers. Patel scarcely bowled a bad ball.
Warwickshire batted with fluency from the start. Hainand Trott, in particular, took an aggressive approach to the task. They also signalled their intention to make use of the short boundary. None of the seamers impressed. Perhaps Willey was the most disappointing, if only because I was expecting him to swing the ball at least as potently as Barker. He didn't. Bowling short was a bad tactic on this wicket but it was, nevertheless applied far too often by all the seamers.
The opening stand made Warwickshire's task very much easier. Rafiq bowled a spell from the City end which was accurate and effective, raising hopes for a short while of snatching a win. After his ten over stint, the others failed to exert pressure. Rashid bowled quite well but Clark and Bell 'sat on him' while attacking the seamers. Bell grew in assurance and played some exquisite late cuts. Yorkshire looked thoroughly disgruntled and out of sorts.
It was a poor effort. It will clearly raise questions about the discontinuity of having five internationals coming in and out of the side. I'm not sure there's much value in pursuing the discussion. On this occasion, a Warwickshire side with nothing to lose,played excellently. Well done to them. It was a good lesson in humility for Yorkshire and should do them good, so long as they heed the warning.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 14 2017, 8:46 PM 

Was hoping the Tuesday game might be a dead rubber but it looks like another trip to Leeds.

Never at any time felt like we were on top but these things happen and Warwickshire were able to play with the freedom of knowing they couldn't make it through.

Disappointed with the Durham result as they seemed to be on top for most of that match.

I would imagine, as ours is the only game where both teams have a realistic chance of going through, we might be live on Sky.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 14 2017, 9:51 PM 

Tyke: you tell it pretty much as I saw it on the YouTube streaming. Apologies for going on about Willey (again) but I simply cannot see what others (i.e. Yorkshire and England) see in him. No pace, no accuracy, no swing. Barker must wonder what he has done wrong. He was Warwicks' best batsman in the CC game, and didn't even get in today.

Plunkett used to have pace, a lot of it, but to see Trott dance down the pitch to him and, when Liam dropped short, punch him through the off-side, was most worrying. 90 mph seems to have become nearer 75. Trott and Bell remain players of the highest class.

So, we will be strengthened when those two are replaced by any of Brooks, Patterson, Coad or Fisher - preferably the two younger ones.

The pluses today would have been Waite and Rafiq. I wonder if they'll keep the balance the same and bring in Carver for Rashid? I may attend on Tuesday, at least the first half. Would be tempted to go at the interval, especially if it is on Sky. Watching cricket in the cold and dark has little appeal to me. It's a summer game.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

May 15 2017, 10:03 AM 

Disappointed with the result yesterday I thought Warwickshire were a really poor fielding side but we failed to capitalise on this. It's now looking like a home tie against Surrey which I can't make as will be travelling back from Taunton.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 15 2017, 10:09 AM 

There could be several supporters in the same boat as yourself. Maybe hitch a ride in the team bus!!

A self inflicted problem for the team and it`s supporters, judging by the performance, it looked like complacency to me.

Doubt if any of them will hit the sack much before 3am for an 11 am start the following day.

Just got to hope tomorrow that we win and Worcestershire lose.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 15, 2017 10:10 AM

(Login matthefish2002)

May 15 2017, 10:58 AM 

I don't think it will make that much difference but think the QF v Surrey will start at 2pm rather then 11am.
I think a compromise should be for it to be put back a day to the Wednesday.
But if no England players available we are still there for the taking.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 15 2017, 11:22 AM 

"Apologies for going on about Willey (again) but I simply cannot see what others (i.e. Yorkshire and England) see in him. No pace, no accuracy, no swing. Barker must wonder what he has done wrong. He was Warwicks' best batsman in the CC game, and didn't even get in today.

Plunkett used to have pace, a lot of it, but to see Trott dance down the pitch to him and, when Liam dropped short, punch him through the off-side, was most worrying. 90 mph seems to have become nearer 75."

Think we have to be a bit careful about rushing to judgement based on one game. Willey is an enigma I agree - and he so rarely produces with the bat that he must be judged on his bowling, but the one thing Willey has going for him is that he generally swings it when others do not. The game v Lancs has Anderson not moving the ball at all, whereas Willey swung it from the first ball he delivered.

As for Plunkett - he was hitting 90mph in the Ireland ODIs - but also bowling with more variety and nous (e.g. varying his pace more) - and his record is excellent in this form of the game over the last year - both in terms of economy and wicket tacking.

Interesting that some questioned the non selection of Coad and Fisher, but frankly the only players who could have been left out (Rafiq, Waite, Bresnan) all delivered the goods. We were never going to leave out Willey and Plunkett.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 15 2017, 12:09 PM 

I agree Willey can swing it. So could I, slowly, only one way,and from the moment the ball left my hand, which was why quite correctly I only very rarely got a bowl. Willey too seems to me to swing it from quite early in its trajectory, and lacks real pace (though he's a lot quicker than me!). Mitchell Johnson swings it early too, but at his pace that's not really a problem.

What makes Ryan an infinitely better bowler than Willey is that he swings it later and he can make one go the other way, i.e. across the right hander. The only way Willey does this is to go wide of the crease and slant what is in effect a straight delivery, away to the slips. It's unlikely to trouble a decent batsman.

As the good book says, 'These three remain: speed, movement, and accuracy, and the greatest of these is...' well accuracy probably, but a great bowler has all three (Malcolm Marshall?), a very good one has two (Ryan), just the one probably isn't enough.

I don't want to be negative about any Yorkshire player, but as far as First Division Championship cricket is concerned, Willey needed to become a reasonably reliable lower-middle order bat, or a much better bowler capable of stepping into Ryan's shoes. I don't see much sign of either yet, and he hasn't been the match-winner in white ball cricket he sometimes was at Northants. Still hoping to see him make the leap forward.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 15 2017, 12:13 PM 

Did we not have Warwickshire 7 for 5 wickets in CC match? Who got the wickets and what was thinking behind seam bowlers selection yesterday? Would be interesting to know!

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 15 2017, 3:00 PM 

Alibor - who would you have left out to accommodate Fisher and Coad? Their omission may be interesting but was it wrong?

(Login dpressed)

May 15 2017, 3:43 PM 

Sorry Albor but its all about conditions. Mark Robinson took 9 for 37 at Harrogate in 1993, but this doesn't make him a Yorkshire legend.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk