<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

7 for 5

May 14 2017 at 9:42 AM
Dewsburian  (Login Dewsburian)

When Warwickshire were at 7 for 5 in the recent county championship match, someone asked when Yorkshire's bowlers had last reduced the opposition to such a parlous position. Over the last few weeks, I’ve had a bit of a trawl through low scores by oppositions against Yorkshire and the one instance I can find where the fifth wicket fell precisely at a score of 7 came in one of the few first-class matches played by Liverpool and District. It was at Aigburth in 1889 and they lost their first-class status six years later.
The Liverpool team was captained by the legendary AG Steel, who scored 33 in the first innings when Liverpool made 145. Yorkshire replied with 231 (Fred Lee from Baildon 84 and George “Mad Jack” Ulyett 65). In their second innings, Liverpool lost their first wicket on 2, then their next three with the score on 5, including Steel for a duck. The fifth fell at 7 and they were all out for 45, Bobby Peel (presumably sober) taking 5 for 8 and Saul Wade 5 for 34. You know you’ve had a hard day when figures of 5 for 34 look shabby.
At Leyton in 1901, Hirst and Rhodes (who else?) actually reduced Essex to 6 for 5 in the first innings of a low scoring match in which Yorkshire scored 104 and won by an innings and 33 runs. Among the Essex casualties was JWHT (“Jonny won’t hit today”) Douglas, bowled by George Hirst for 0. Hirst took 7 for 12, six of them bowled; he dismissed all the top five, four of them bowled and one caught behind. Rhodes took 2 for 17 and the other wicket was a run out.
The Essex openers were Frederick Fane, a test player and five-time England captain (and a WWI officer in the West Yorkshire Regiment) and Herbert Carpenter. Percy Perrin, later an England selector was at 3, Charlie McGahey, also a test player, at 4. McGahey, who was a Wisden cricketer of the year in 1902, was the only batsman in the top seven to make double figures (11). Only Bill Reeves, batting at 8, made double figures in both innings. He was later an umpire and is credited with the “Look in tomorrow’s paper” quip.
Even more amazing than this, in 1904 at Headingley Schofield Haigh and Wilfred Rhodes reduced Hampshire to 4 for 5 in their second innings. Rhodes took 4 for 12 and Haigh 6 for 21. Hampshire, led by the Scot EM Sprot, were all out for 36 in 13.1 overs and Yorkshire won by 370 runs. Thomas Dashwood, batting at 5, top-scored for Hants with 12, but never played another first-class game. Number 4 in the Hampshire order was Charlie Llewellyn, the first “non-white” South African test cricketer and the first test cricketer to play in the Lancashire leagues (for Accrington).
And, saving the best for last, Gloucestershire, led by the incomparable Gilbert Jessop, following on at Bramall Lane in July 1903, lost the first two wickets without a run being scored, then lost another three for 3 runs, leaving them at an astonishing 3 for 5. They slumped to 6 for 7 before “recovering” to make 36 and lose by an innings and 183 runs. Hirst took 4 for 10 and Rhodes 5 for 20. Four of the Gloucester top five made ducks, including Jessop and a certain Leigh Brownlee, who went on to be editor of the Daily Mirror in the 1930s. In the first innings, Yorkshire wicketkeeper Fred Asquith caught Jessop off the bowling of Hirst. He had learnt his cricket in Sheepscar and this was one of two dismissals in his one and only first team match for Yorkshire. He later kept The Locomotive pub on Hessle Rd. in Hull.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: 7 for 5

May 14 2017, 10:46 AM 

Tremendous research, Dewsburian - a labour of love, of course, but 'a bit of a trawl' it is not. A Scot named Sprott is a new one on me.

There was a game in 1952 when India were 0 for 4. Not a Yorkshire match, but it was at Headingley, Hutton was England's captain, and Trueman (on debut) took three of the four.

There is a story from that game, or from that series, which has a batsman constantly fiddling with the sight-screen. In the end the exasperated umpire asked him where, exactly, he did want it. "If truth be known," said the highly educated Indian, "between me and Trueman."

Grammar right under pressure - that's class!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/62737.html

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 14 2017, 10:49 AM 

Thats very good.
I wonder if the Locomotive is still there.
Its probably a Tapas restaurant these days.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

May 14 2017, 11:20 AM 

Great piece of research, Dewsburian. You have me salivating for the bowler-friendly pitches of yesteryear; and the spectacle which they provided.

Mention of the great C B Llewellyn (like D'Oliviera, a "Cape Coloured" South African), brought back memories of my father, who saw him play for Accrington in his childhood, but could not possibly have been able to assess his quailty as Llewellyn last played for the Lancashire League side in 1925 when my father would have been 6 years old.

In his teenage years my father also saw the other great Lancashire League professional, Learie Constantine, who played for Nelson, and then being that bit older, my father's assessment would have been more reliable in Constantine's case.

My father always maintained that "Conny", as he invariably referred to him, was the best cricketer ever to play in the Lancashire League; a big claim when you think of the likes of S F Barnes, Clive Lloyd, Dennis Lillee, Viv Richards, Johnny Wardle to name but a few. I suspect that my father was reflecting the enjoyment that Constantine had given him with that exciting brand of Calypso Cricket and showmanship of which Sir Learie was an unchallenged champion.

Notwithstanding, my father's assessment of "Conny's" prime position it was always accompanied, somewhat illogically it seemed to my child's mind, by the assertion that "Ther wer o'cors a better 'un; C B Llewellyn". I have often wondered in later years, with my father no longer here to ask, on what basis he made this statement. Statistically, their relative performances (set out below) are remarkably similar, except that Llewellyn's playing days in the Lancashire League stretched over more years due to the abandonment of League Cricket professionals during the First World War.

Perhaps, emotively, I incline to the view that my father was repeating the words of his own father (my grandfather who died 15 years before I was born) who in middle age would have seen both Llewellyn and Constantine play on those early 20th Century Saturday afternoons. True or not, I like to think, in this evaluation of the two great all rounders of Lancashire League cricket, that I hear my grandfather talking cricket from beyond the grave.

Batting:

Llewellyn (1911-1925: Accrington: 11 Seasons):
252 Matches, 229 Innings, 27 Not Outs, 6227 runs (HS: 188 no) averaging 30.82 with 11 centuries and 29 fifties.

Constantine (1929-1939: Nelson: 11 Seasons)
225 Matches, 202 Innings, 26 Not Outs, 6550 runs (HS: 192 no) averaging 37.21 with 9 centuries and 41 fifties

Bowling:

Llewellyn
3719 overs, 665 maidens, 10034 runs, 967 wickets at 10.27, (BB:9 for 23), 5 wkts: 102, SR: 23.07, ER: 2.69

Constantine:
3303 overs, 846 maidens, 7913 runs, 799 wickets at 9.9 (BB:10 for 10), 5 wkts: 79, SR: 24.8, ER: 2.39

Statistically, to my eye, Constantine would appear to pip Llewellyn. So in what way might Llewellyn have been the better of the two? Llewellyn was an orthodox batsman and slow left arm bowler. Constantine was a hitter and explosive fast bowler. My father would have appreciated the explosive West Indian's performances far more than he would the orthodox batting and metronomic accuracy of the South African. He would have been captivated by the spectacle of it all. Did my grandfather have a more conventional appreciation of cricket; one more like my own; County Championship rather than T20? I do not know for sure; but just perhaps! What I do know is that my father would have wallowed in the razz-ma-tazz of T20, whilst instinctively I draw away from it.

Where did my instinct come from? To plagiarize Gilbert, "I don't (definitively) know whose instincts they were, but I know whose instinct they are!"

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on May 14, 2017 11:50 AM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 14 2017, 12:18 PM 

My father played against Constantine, in wartime Bradford League cricket, I presume - my dad was not very forthcoming about most things. He did dismiss Constantine as an 'overrated big head', which was an unusually strong opinion from him.

I know the players he did rate were Bill Copson and the Pope brothers, all Derbyshire fast bowlers - my dad was an opening bat. Of opposing batsmen, he raved about Lancashire's Eddie Paynter.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 14 2017, 1:12 PM 

I am reminded of a certain FST probably turning in his grave and uttering the immortal line

"So what, I once had India 0-4...." and then returning to his corner of the TMS box as they debated other top order collapses

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 14 2017, 7:07 PM 

This thread is an example of why WRF is such a compensating pleasure on an evening when Yorkshire have just lost.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

May 14 2017, 8:29 PM 

Lovely stuff.
The Forum is finding itself again.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 14 2017, 8:47 PM 

I'm very pressed for time this evening, but I'll just answer Steve's question about The Locomotive Hotel. It was pulled down in the early sixties to make way for (of all things) the Hessle Road railway flyover!
And on mysterious, hand-me-down beliefs about cricketers, I have to confess to a conviction that Roy Kilner, who died 25 years before I was born, was one of Yorkshire's greatest ever. I imbibed this from my father at some ridiculously early age, but the strange thing is that he himself was only eight or so when Kilner died, so I suspect school teachers may have been involved (my father went to a very sports-oriented junior school, which also produced a much-admired footballer by the name of Eddie Waring - never any good at rugby, by the way). Since my first cricket club was in Mirfield, where Hirst and/or Rhodes (I forget which) worked in the engine sheds before legging it back up to Kirkheaton to play cricket on a Saturday, it was also quasi-religious dogma that George Herbert and Wilfred were at least demi-gods and possibly more elevated in status than that.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 14 2017, 9:51 PM 

Thank goodness i'll be able to sleep now..

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

May 17 2017, 2:53 PM 

Just read this thread and realised what I've been missing for a while.Had other distractions, so the season started a bit later than usual for me. Managing to get up to speed now and this thread helps.
Maybe see a few faces at OT this weekend
Cheers.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 17 2017, 4:17 PM 

It reminds me of that scene in The Return of The Magnficent Seven when Yul Brynner has to get the gang back together for one final mission......

(Although he didn't spot that most of the original gang were dead and had been replaced by significantly less famous actors...)

Welcome back Nick. We've missed you.
Hope too see you you at Old Trafford - i'll be sitting in that infeasibly high stand worrying if my vertigo is getting worse..

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 17 2017, 8:12 PM 

First Peter, now Nick. It's like the return of Root and Bairstow.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk