<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Club Cricket

May 15 2017 at 6:42 AM
Kevin Owens  (Login kevinowens)

Just to let you know. Alex Lees played for Lightcliffe this past weekend and made 227 not out. The highest score in Bradford league history. Great to see Alex playing for his local club. I know Gale used to play for Cleckheaton. Do any of our other current players still play the odd game for their local club?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Club cricket

May 15 2017, 9:56 AM 

As I intimated on another thread, many of Yorkshire's younger cricketers have dual registration. This may not be a comprehensive list, and other contributors may be able to add to it.
Jack Leaning and Matthew Waite - York; Ben Coad - Harrogate; Karl Carver - Sheriff Hutton Bridge; Will Rhodes - Stamford Bridge; Josh Shaw - Wakefield St. Michael's; Ryan Gibson - Pudsey Congs; Eliot Callis - Sheffield Collegiate; Jordan Thompson - Pudsey St. Lawrence; James Logan - Farsley; Ben Birkhead - Scholes (Huddersfield).

Papag
(Login Papag1)

Re: Club Cricket

May 15 2017, 11:32 AM 

Andrew Hodd played for New Farnley yesterday and turns out for them periodically when YCCC do not require him.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 15 2017, 12:14 PM 

Interesting and thanks for the news on Lees.

This presence of first-class cricketers in the leagues is one of the things which makes the northern leagues different. In a southern league, if say Nick Gubbins turned up to play for the opposition one Saturday and took your attack for a double century, I think there would be a fair amount of grumbling. In the north, not only is it fairly common, but the prevailing attitude is as much 'Right, let's show him' as it is 'Blimey, we'll never get him out.'

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 15 2017, 12:45 PM 

Josh Poysden turned out for Barnt Green on Saturday, while Ateeq Javid played for Knowle & Dorridge against him. All the Warwickshire and Worcester "fringe" players play Birmingham League cricket when not otherwise engaged.
Ryan Sidebottom actually bowled for Berkswell on Saturday, also in the Birmingham Premier, alongside Derbyshire's Tom Milnes and Worcestershire's Alex Hepburn, but this one is an Australian (the Solihull Observer originally made the mistake of thinking it was "our" Ryan). Grant Thornton is another player who's at Berkswell, which used to be a modest village club, but now has substantial financial backing.
In recent years they've had several ex-pros play for them, including Darren Maddy, and the captain is Dominic Ostler (once of Moseley and Warwicks.) Back in the mists of time, the club was founded by a woollen magnate from the West Riding called Joshua Hirst Wheatley.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 15 2017, 1:05 PM 

A woollen magnate?
Would that be a magnate made of wool?

I once played in a club game against Earl Percy.
Does that count?

marsker
(Login marskeman)

May 15 2017, 1:33 PM 

James Weighell of durham plays for Stockdale in the music premier league.

DW
(Login Bergenopzoom)

John Emburey

May 15 2017, 1:40 PM 

In my neck of the woods John Emburey often plays for Totteridge in the Hertfordshire League, sometimes forming a spin partnership with Monty Panesar. But in both cases it's cash not club loyalty which gets their involvement.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 15 2017, 1:58 PM 

In the blog I was planning before last year's political events disrupted my professional activities, I was hoping to publish a bit of research on two important "cricket people" from the Heavy Woollen District (just to be clear, that's not people who are also crickets or a district which is made of wool). One was Wheatley from Mirfield, the other was Karl André Auty from Dewsbury. Perhaps another time.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 15 2017, 2:05 PM 

More importantly - whats the Music Premier League......???
U2 against Goldfrapp?

marsker
(Login marskeman)

May 15 2017, 2:17 PM 

Beware of smartphone spellings. Should have read stokesley.in the nysd league.

This message has been edited by marskeman on May 15, 2017 2:19 PM

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 15 2017, 2:25 PM 

Interesting to hear about pro's in other leagues. Are these relatively recent developments? I was used to the Thames Valley, and although they talk about having 'professionals' these days, they are very much hired guns, not pro's in the old fashioned northern sense of someone who plays, coaches, is an all round good bloke in the club house and so on. But perhaps things have changed at both ends of the country.

On a vaguely similar line, how far has the post-50/5 wickets collection survived? I remember an opening bat coming down to the Thames Valley from South Yorkshire and being stunned that the top performer was buying a jug of ale, rather than having a collection. Always struck me as a clear sense of different cultures! Indeed I had a fantasy of doing a bit of research and trying to draw a line on a map (somewhere in Notts/Derby?)where the divide fell, with an article in one of the cricket mags as a result, involving a visit to the nearest two clubs I could find with different traditions. I had this notion that maybe somewhere you'd have a collection at one end of the town, and have to buy a jug at the other.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 15 2017, 3:19 PM 

Reminds me of Duncan MacMillan's marvelous biography of Harold Larwood - his gentleman skipper at Notts (who's name i cant remember - but i'm sure Dews will tell me..) used to send out to the Trent Bridge Tavern for a bucket of beer to be delivered to the dressing room in time for the lunch interval...

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 15 2017, 4:26 PM 

I think it must have been when I was playing as a junior at Mirfield CC in the late 60s that I heard a conversation between a number of older men who had played at Brighouse with the former Yorkshire and England opening bat Frank Lowson. The story was that Lowson would invariably get to his 50 and then, once the collection was in the bag, throw his wicket away. I've since heard or read the same story told of quite a few others.
I've never seen a collection taken at a Birmingham League match, but it may be that the custom once existed and has died out.
At school I remember quite a few boys being paid expenses to play for some of the local teams (there always seemed to be "mill owners" in the background). I also remember one of them telling me that his first dressing room conversation at his new (Hertfordshire) club was: "Would a couple of quid be alright?" To which he replied, "Actually, I wasn't expecting anything." As he eventually realized, the couple of quid was the "subs." he was being asked to pay.

For Steve: Arthur Carr, Duncan Hamilton.

This message has been edited by Dewsburian on May 15, 2017 4:32 PM

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Club cricket

May 15 2017, 5:47 PM 

May I apologize to James Wainman for inadvertently omitting him from my original list. He also plays for Farsley.
Indeed, I believe he is captain.
As regards collections, I believe they are still traditional in the Bradford League. I was at a recent match in that league where the opening batsman scored a double century for the home team but no collection was taken. By contrast when an away team player reached 50, the hat was straight round.
Some years ago an outstanding fifteen year old took five wickets but was required to spend his collection on drinks all round in which he could not share ! The following week the same boy scored fifty but his father put his foot down and insisted he kept the collection. I cannot name him as he is currently in the Yorkshire set-up.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 15 2017, 6:33 PM 

I presume Matthew Fisher is also still at Sheriff Hutton.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 15 2017, 7:04 PM 

Yes (SHB) and his brother and other family members also play for them. York, if they so wished, could field a very strong side in the Premier League North if they picked all their local players. Rhodes, Carver, Fisher, Leaning, Waite, all play for clubs within 10 miles of York, plus, of course JB, who went to school in York and lives in a village just outside.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Club cricket

May 15 2017, 7:42 PM 

Yes, Stu, but none of the players you name was produced by the York club. Indeed, it is difficult to remember the last player to come from the York club and go on to play county cricket.
I believe that Matthew Fisher is not allotted to his former club, Sheriff Hutton Bridge. When recovering from injury, he turned out for the Academy.
He has two older brothers playing at SHB, one of whom, Mark, is often confused with Matthew by the Yorkshire Post.

Chris Bridgman
(Login barumowl)

May 15 2017, 8:20 PM 

Back in the early 1970s when slogging through training in tax law one of the more interesting tax cases I had the pleasure of consigning to memory was that of Moorhouse v Dooland.

This concerned whether or not collections taken by spectators for meritorious performances (5 wickets rings a bell) by professional cricketers like Dooland in Northern Leagues should be taxable as part of their remuneration or were tax exempt as personal gifts.

It was decided that tax was due on such collections.

Chris

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

May 15 2017, 8:50 PM 

I wonder if some of the 'hired guns' in the south claim the cost of a jug as a legitimate expense for tax purposes.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk