<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Club Cricket

May 15 2017, 9:06 PM 

All these years it's being worrying me, the £2-15-6 I once got for scoring 50. I might owe Her Majesty a few shillings.

Actually, I made that up. The only collection I ever remember getting was when I joined Newton Heath in 1982, by which time our currency was decimal. We had a pro called Syl(vester) Oliver and the locals used to turn out in force to watch him bat. They also left immediately he was out, so the timing of your fifty was everything. I picked up enough to buy a round of drinks, with a little bit to spare.

To stand at the other end and watch Syl bat was an education and a privilege. There's a tribute to his memory at Todmorden CC, his first English club. (Bottom of first board.) Interesting list of professionals down the years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/19732024911/in/album-72157655517563578/

At our more modest level, there used to be a custom of 'buying a jug' when you got 50, which was several pints. Then those who got out in their 40s got fined for 'jug avoidance'. One particularly boozy night it got down to about 10 runs, I seem to remember, in those carefree pre-breathalyser days, when the away team stayed most of the evening too.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Buggeration...

May 16 2017, 7:21 AM 

Pre -breathalyser? Were you travelling by horse and cart....?

Too many Duncans. apologies for ongoing premature senility..
Duncan Hamilton is of course the esteemed cricket writer of this parish.
Duncan McMillan is a fabulous British playwright who wrote Lungs, People Places and Things and the utterly wonderful Every Brilliant Thing which is performed in the Paines Plough Roundabout.

To paraphrase Wittgenstein - i can't define Oak Tree or Elephant but i assert my right to differentiate between the two....
I just cant remember names any more.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 16 2017, 8:42 AM 

I share your pain. The Shropshire/Worcestershire cricketer I was trying to mention the other day was called Richard Oliver. It came to me in the bath!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 16 2017, 8:46 AM 

Austin A55 Cambridge, Ford 100E Anglia - stuff like that. I think the breathalyser was around, but you were legal on about 3 or 4 pints, and nobody got stopped anyway. Same thing today in some country areas down south, I think. Lots of packed countryside pubs, cops spread very thin.

I'm not condoning drunk driving, by the way. Attitudes have changed, and mine have changed with the times; I don't do it at all, nowadays, apart from a single glass with my lunch. But, back then...

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

May 16 2017, 10:12 AM 

Times have indeed changed. I used to play in an evening game at Bramshill Police College. When we finally left the bar our hosts would put a call out to their colleagues not to stop any cars along our route home. Then a rather more strict regime arrived, I don't think even the cricket survived, never mind the drink.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 16 2017, 10:42 AM 

I remember an incident when I was a front-seat passenger in a car after a match at Tanworth-in-Arden CC and a senior police officer was in the back. The phrase "Oh, I didn't see you in the back there, sir" comes into it, but I'd probably better not be more specific.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk