<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pre-match thread | Team v Lancashire CC?

May 18 2017 at 7:09 AM
Loiner  (Login TheLoiner)

Some interesting choices, who will be the 5th batsmen Leaning, Rhodes, Waite?

Sid, Brooks, Patto one of them will probably be left out

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on May 18, 2017 8:10 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Team v Lancashire CC?

May 18 2017, 8:48 AM 

Might depend on fitness - would you risk both Brooks and Sid unless they're both 100% fit..?
Waite might have edged ahead of Rhodes - Leaning cant complain that he hasn't had chances..

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 18 2017, 9:27 AM 

Has Carver bowled himself into contention? Is Rafiq fit? He looked very lame after his first two overs on Tuesday. Will it rain in Manchester (is the Pope a Catholic)?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 18 2017, 10:19 AM 

You could also add, how many overseas players will Lancashire play - I reckon 4 in Vilas, Chanderpaul, Maclaren & Jarvis.

What was it posters were stating recently? I remember now, "how good Lancashire were for producing "home-grown players"!!

They are just as bad as most of the other counties for playing overseas players.

We await the squad announcement

Could be Carver in if Rafiq is not fit.

Could be Waite Leaning or Rhodes at 5.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 18 2017, 10:41 AM 

It could be four, though the Lankies tend to view Jarvis much as we see Ballance. Not that they claim he's as good a player, but he spent several seasons on their 2s before breaking through.

At least the other 7 will be home grown, in contrast to a few years ago when Loye, Alex Swann, Sutton, etc were all in the team. More recently, White and Buck were two from Leicestershire who failed to make the grade at OT. If we play Handscomb, Brooks and Hodd, they will probably claim even stevens - though we've got 4 of our home-growners absent with England, to their none.

Seeing how he bowled yesterday, Gavin Griffiths was unlucky not to be offered a contract. Tom Bailey is good, but perhaps not that good.

From the Lancs website: They [Yorkshire] will be without their five England players, with Lancashire having Jimmy Anderson and Haseeb Hameed available.

“To be fair, we’d like to beat them with everyone in the side, but it’s one of those things,” said Red Rose captain Steven Croft.

Dream on, Crofty.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 18 2017, 10:45 AM 

The subtle difference is that Jarvis is Non Qualified for England, Ballance is qualified for England (according to Playfair).

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 18, 2017 10:46 AM

(Login Martinh00)

May 18 2017, 11:06 AM 

We are back to worrying about our lack of credible batting options. We forget that Hodd has looked very good with the bat this season. It may be time to give him the responsibility of batting at number six. Maybe keep Waite at 7. Batting Carver at 8 feels a bit high - Rafiq may get the nod for that reason alone.

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 18 2017, 12:19 PM 

From the OS

TEAM NEWS
Ryan Sidebottom returns having missed the first month and a half of the new campaign due to a hamstring injury he picked up whilst on pre-season tour in Dubai in March.
The 39-year-old seamer has been playing second XI cricket during the last fortnight in a bid to ready himself for his final summer before retirement.
Yorkshire, who also have Jack Brooks fit again after his pre-season calf injury, have lost one, won one and drawn one of their first three Championship matches and sit fourth in Division One nine points behind early leaders Surrey.
YORKSHIRE’S 14-MAN SQUAD TO FACE LANCASHIRE:
Gary Ballance (Captain)
Tim Bresnan
Jack Brooks
Karl Carver
Ben Coad
Matthew Fisher
Peter Handscomb
Andrew Hodd (Wicketkeeper)
Jack Leaning
Alex Lees
Adam Lyth
Steven Patterson
Azeem Rafiq
Ryan Sidebottom

No Waite or Rhodes, so looks like Leaning is a certainty, unless we plan on only 4 recognised batsmen.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 18, 2017 12:20 PM

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

May 18 2017, 12:25 PM 

I think Carver, Fisher and Patto may be the ones to miss out from the squad if all are fit

Lyth
Lees
Handscomb
Ballance
Leaning
Bresnan
Hodd
Rafiq
Brooks
Sidebottom
Coad

It's probably a stronger side than the one that thrashed Warwickshire a few weeks ago. Lancashire are undoubtedly better than Warwickshire but we've got every chance of winning with Brooks and Siddy back in the side

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 18 2017, 12:28 PM 

I agree with the XI above, it looks a well balance side. Great to have our new ball pair back.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 18 2017, 12:52 PM 

I also agree with the above side, but still think our batting looks fragile, at the moment, as it is all dependant on just two players plus we have a rather long tail. Hopefully we will get some contributions from some of the others in the following 4 days.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 18, 2017 1:11 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 18 2017, 12:57 PM 

Poor form won't last forever, we know they can all bat.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 18 2017, 1:27 PM 

Yep. Agree with that side too.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

May 18 2017, 1:45 PM 

Agree with that side although I wouldn't be suprised if either Books or Sidebottom were rested for another week and replaced with Patterson. If they're both in the squad hopefully they're both considered match fit.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

May 18 2017, 4:07 PM 

Sidders and Brooks must both be tearing at the leash.

Both must play if fit, either one (or both) could rip through the lancy batting

Pandadada
(Login Pandadada)

May 18 2017, 4:18 PM 

that is the team I had down. However, I feel torn whether to have Patterson in. we need a steady bowler who can build pressure, always good to have. You can't drop Bresnan because of his batting and it would be a massive kick in the teeth to drop Coad. So it would be Brooks or Sidebottom. If Patterson was to play I would keep Brooks for another week and Gale should be true to the rotation system ( this should be the excuse if Coad is dropped). I just wish we had the same dilemma with our batters!!!

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 18 2017, 5:17 PM 

Last seasons fixture still baffles me. I hope we show more ambition if the opportunity arises.

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 18 2017, 6:58 PM 

From the Lancashire web-site

Glen Chapple has named a 14 man squad for Lancashire's Specsavers County Championship Roses clash against Yorkshire, starting tomorrow at Emirates Old Trafford

Kyle Jarvis has been ruled out after fracturing his left thumb in training this morning, whilst Jordan Clark continues to receive treatment on an on-going back injury.

Lancashire Squad

Steven Croft (C), James Anderson, Tom Bailey, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Alex Davies, Haseeb Hameed, Simon Kerrigan, Danny Lamb, Liam Livingstone, Ryan McLaren, Stephen Parry, Luke Procter, Rob Jones, Dane Vilas

Two of their seamers injured, so good news for us.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Pre-match thread | Team v Lancashire CC?

May 18 2017, 8:37 PM 

I'm also agree with the team suggested above.

However I'm not convinced the returning seamers are 100% fit and hope we dont have a hard 96 over day in the sun.

Think we're being very generous with Leaning. I'd have turned to Rhodes.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

Re: Pre-match thread | Team v Lancashire CC?

May 18 2017, 11:51 PM 

While it is good news from a Yorkshire perspective that Kyle Jarvs is ruled out, the fact that Lancashire have named both Simon Kerrigan and Stephen Parry in their 14 man squad suggests the Old Trafford wicket is conducive to spin.

The Lancashire batting attack looks strong on paper, even the local talent. Wicketkeeper-batsman Alex Davies seems to be doing well for Lancashire of late and is one for the future. I once saw him play for England U19s against Yorkshire 2nds in a 2nd XI T20 double header at Bingley Congs back in 2012 and was a standout player from both sides, I hope his professional career continues to blossom and one day make the England test team.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk