<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Championship: Yorkshire v Lancashire at Old Trafford. Day One

May 19 2017, 1:05 PM 

The approach for Kohler-Cadmore is a sign they are addressing it. In the club's defence, I don't think anyone expected Leaning and Rhodes to both go backwards last year.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 19 2017, 1:08 PM 

Are we quite sure Rhodes has gone backwards...?
i think that he should be given a chance.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

May 19 2017, 1:11 PM 

Not sure Brisn if it was spell check or my eyesight on iPhone !!

gave me a good laugh anyway.

Sorry to see anderson injured - don't like to see that, but it must be said it will ease the task for our batsmen.
England seam opportunity may beckon too?

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

May 19 2017, 1:14 PM 

just heard, Coad has been drafted in to replace Anderson in the test squad.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

May 19 2017, 1:15 PM 

Fair comment, Seadog. I still find it hard to accept the kind of line-ups we are fielding and am not 100% convinced that certain players are hurting enough about their poor performances. What on earth will we do if Ballance goes to England?

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 19 2017, 1:18 PM 

Not unexpected and we d have selection problem with all seamers available, including youngsters Fisher and Waite.

Eastriding
(Login eastriding)

May 19 2017, 1:18 PM 

Well done WhiteRoseTom what we need is some optimism a refreshing change to the usual Yorkshire White Forum curmudgeon wink.gif
(of which, perhaps, I am as guilty of as most)

seems to be working (Balance justifying his call at the toss?)

Confused by this Toss business, am I correct in saying Balance could have chosen not to Toss a coin and then as visiting Captain choose to bat or bowl, as he decided to go ahead with the toss, we assume he wasn't sure about the conditions and on winning the toss he had to make a decision (to bat)?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 19 2017, 1:21 PM 

"Not our job to suggest this, EY Tyke - people are paid handsomely by YCCC to find and sign good players. The club have had two years of brittle batting performances to ponder this and done nothing. I also don't accept your implication that it is unreasonable/unaffordable to expect YCCC to have a half-decent batting line-up. And at end of 2015, it was already much more of a priority than signing David Willey, which can't have been cheap. The last thing we needed was a non-batsman on the fringes of the England set-up."

"Not our job to suggest this, EY Tyke"
Yet you've taken it upon yourself to suggest signing David Willey wasn't a priority?

"people are paid handsomely by YCCC to find and sign good players"

5 players in the England one day set up at present, the current England test captain, Jonny Bairstow, signing Jack Brooks. Ben Coad. There's a long list of players YCCC employees have found and signed.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 19 2017, 1:35 PM 

Steve - Rhodes was on loan in division two with Essex last season, suggesting he'd slipped way down the pecking order. Waite looks to have a lot more about him in my opinion. Leaning and Rhodes sometimes seem to strut like big time players, without actually playing that way. I still think Leaning is good enough but the jury is out on Rhodes.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 19 2017, 1:39 PM 

Eastriding, Ballance could have only chose to insert.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

May 19 2017, 1:53 PM 

Not wishing to enter into a row, EYT (!), but there is nothing inconsistent in (a) believing the onus is not on supporters to identify new players and (b) supporters having an opinion on those that are identified and signed. And, yes, the club has done well for many years now in identifying and developing talent (unlike some other counties), but the current state of batting resources shouldn't just be excused away - unless we are satisfied with a return to mediocrity or worse.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

May 19 2017, 2:01 PM 

East riding, just to clarify, away captains have the option of putting in the opposition without a toss.

if they want to bat first then they must toss and of course if they win the toss they can choose to bat first.

The inference therefore is that if the away captain decides to toss he must want to bat first, otherwise what is the point in tossing?

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 19 2017, 2:07 PM 

There is a fair chance Gary Ballance will be in the first test on current form. I expect a team of something like Cook, Jennings, Root, Ballance, Bairstow (w), Stokes, Woakes, Ali, Rashid, Wood, Anderson (or Coad). Handscomb out - surely time for Jack Leaning to step up with a good innings in support of his captain.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on May 19, 2017 2:10 PM

May 19 2017, 2:08 PM 

No ECT, but just to say players X Y and Z aren't good enough without identifying better players is an easy option, it's a cop out, if you don't think certain players aren't good enough, that's fair enough but please let us know who could do a better job?

May 19 2017, 2:09 PM 

"There is a fair chance Gary Ballance will be in the first test on current form. I expect a team of something like Cook, Jennings, Root, Ballance, Bairstow (w), Stokes, Woakes, Ali, Rashid, Wood, Anderson (or Coad)"

I'd give you any money you want, barring injuries, on Broad and Hameed been in the first test team.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

May 19 2017, 2:12 PM 

interesting news from taunton (somerset v warwickshire) an ecb edict declares that if thunder is heard, no groundstaff or players are allowed on the ground for 30 minutes. no mention of the fact that a thousand people are sat around the perimeter.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

May 19 2017, 2:22 PM 

I think we will need to agree to disagree, EYT happy.gif

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 19 2017, 3:56 PM 

Are you talking about Lancashire Lightning Marsker !? Sounds like typical roses war of attrition at Old Trafford.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on May 19, 2017 3:57 PM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Donner und Blitzen

May 19 2017, 4:52 PM 

Marsker -- ecb ruling on thunder and lightning? really?

Well there have been sportsmen killed by lightning in open fields of play (soccer, cricket, especially golf), but I wonder if they have done a risk analysis?

Will they stop players/staff driving to the ground on the chances that they may be killed on the roads? Probably statistically more likely.

Taunton also has a nice nearby church tower with lightning conductor which must reduce the odds of a direct ground strike.

Jay
(Login overman8)

May 19 2017, 5:02 PM 

East Yorkshire Tyke, one player who would have done a better job is Stoneman.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk