<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Championship: Yorkshire v Lancashire at Old Trafford. Day One

May 19 2017, 5:11 PM 

Stoneman might have done a better job. However, was he available, affordable and ready to come to Yorkshire?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 19 2017, 5:34 PM 

It was reported that we enquired after Borthwick and Jennings. Both turned us down.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 19 2017, 5:52 PM 

The Hoddster sounds to be batting well and Leaning is getting a lot of welcome time in the middle, terrific and much needed half century.

Two of the players we need to do well in order to back up the Captain and the Handscomb.

Lancashire a bit short of bowling options at the moment, hope Anderson is not too badly injured, 3 weeks out would be ideal.

300 looks possible now and then we can see how our bowlers go.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

hodd

May 19 2017, 5:57 PM 

were is jacobbus

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

May 19 2017, 5:59 PM 

Really pleased for Leaning.I am part of the "The stick with Leaning" brigade.

We have have many other options and his class is undoubted. It feels a matter lf time and hopefully now we are starting to see that.

We see it with many other young batsmen...They start well...Either drop their guard or get found out... The challenge is if they can come back...

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 19 2017, 6:06 PM 

I am also pleased for Leaning. I had given up hope on him ever coming good again, lets hope this is the start of his comeback to form.

We are still not out of the wood yet, but getting there. We might scrape the draw with three days of rain! (only joking, guys).

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 19 2017, 6:12 PM 

Glad to get to 250. Seriously feared we wouldn't.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 19 2017, 6:18 PM 

Yes, I am also very pleased with Jack Leaning and this is good stand with Hodd who deserves praise for his performance. We have been rather slow but maybe we can get to 300 before end of 110 overs. However, winning the match is the main priority.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

May 19 2017, 6:21 PM 

Pleased with the score in the end. Well done Jack & Andy for bringing a little respectability about it. Let's hope we can getting that 3rd bonus point tomorrow & then unleash Sidey & Jack.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

May 19 2017, 6:27 PM 

Excellent response by Leaning. Another good knock by Hodd too.

(Login Danum)

May 19 2017, 6:35 PM 

At first I thought I was watching another episode of Leaning scratching about for little return, but in the circumstances I have to say the lad done well - at last.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

May 19 2017, 6:51 PM 

long overdue return to form for Jack, and a defiant effort from Hodd. Well done both, and the captain of course.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 19 2017, 7:18 PM 

In Leaning's defence, there didn't look to be much wrong with his batting in the CC match at Edgbaston. He scored 40 there and, while he was a bit slower than some, his scoring rate was about the same as his captain's.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 19 2017, 7:35 PM 

An interesting and intense day's cricket, slow scoring at times, but never dull.

I got there an hour late following a hospital appointment, and by then Yorkshire had lost Lyth and Lees and Lancashire had lost Anderson, to what sounded like a serious injury.

Handscomb and Ballance started the rebuilding, but each time we looked close to achieving parity we lost a wicket. Ballance was again outstanding and it came as a surprise when he was out, possibly done by a slower ball.

With Parry well on top, Leaning struggled to get going, but he persisted and, in the end, it paid off. He needs to complete the job tomorrow. Bresnan hit a six but fell to McLaren's excellent spell shortly afterwards. Rafiq came in above Hodd, surprisingly, but he got things moving a little while Leaning was becalmed.

Parry won his duel with Rafiq, eventually, but now Hodd came in to share, with Leaning, the best and most fluent stand of the day. Lancashire's ground-fielding had been good but their catching was a bit fallible.

So the day finished even, in my estimation. We'll have a better idea this time tomorrow. Let's hope a few people turn up. A stand full of screaming junior school kids apart, it was very sparsely attended today.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 19 2017, 9:32 PM 

Surprised we batted first but probably better than batting last given the spin options Lancashire have.

Pleased for Leaning and delighted for Hodd. Wouldn't it be delightful to see a century from one, or better still, both of them.

Perhaps it was the indignity of Rafiq batting before him that got Hodd going in such as positive style.

Looks a bit showery tomorrow so I'm not risking going but hope we can get a positive result out of this one.

Looking forward to listening in to see how Brooks, Sidebottom and Coad do and hope that the more fragile Lancashire turn up when it's their turn to bat, Hameed and Chanderpaul not withstanding.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

May 19 2017, 9:36 PM 

I planned to go on Sunday but the ECB, in their infinite wisdom, have scheduled the match on a weekend where Manchester United are at home, making it a nightmare to get back using public transport as they'll be finishing at roughly the same time! I imagine those travelling by car will be caught in the rush as well

This message has been edited by twelthman on May 19, 2017 9:38 PM

(Login dpressed)

May 19 2017, 9:56 PM 

I attended today. As mentioned it took ages queueing up to buy a ticket, & then you had to work out how to get in the ground as a large partion behind the hotel is a construction site. Even worse there were hundreds of kids also trying to get in once I had found an entrance. Yes its good to get kids interested, but it was announced that there were 3,000 of them (although this felt a bit on the high side) ... & these were infant/juniors who make loads of noise ... & even worse some of them had zu zu vielas. Thankfully they stuck them all in one stand (the double decker next to the Lanacshire dressing room). They all left between 2 & 2:30. The lunchtime lap was a laugh as you had the usual 'cricket crowd' trying to thread their way through hoards of small children at the Stretford end where the had 'activities'.

It was cloudy & I must admit to being surprised when the teams tossed up. It looked like a 'get em in; day, but I heard at lunch that Yorks felt the pitch looked 'dusty' so wanted to bat. It didn't start well. Lyth edged one to slip then Lees was bowled by a ball he left along. Then Anderson (bowling from the tram end) fell over in his delivery stride holding his groin. After the physio came on Anderson walked off. Handscome & Ballance started a repair job, with Gary getting far more of the strike. Parry was on before 12 & when Kerigan came on just before lunch he turned one in his first over.

After lunch the batsmen continued on, but only at about 2.5 an over. Handscombe was given out lbw, it looked a bit high from the pavilion end (other shouts looked closer). This brought in Leaning who looked awful. Soon after Bailey got Ballance caught at midwicket (I agree with DM that it looked a slower ball). Bresnan was next in, but didn't last that long playing very late on a lowish one that bowled him. Rafiq was dropped at slip of his 2nd ball (decent height but it was moving), sadly he didn't really capitalise on the luck biffing a few runs but then put Parry straight to midwicket.

With Leaning still not looking secure there were worries that Yorkshire could be all out for 200. But thankfully Hodd got him through 200 & then 250.

So a variable day. Hopefully we'll get the 3rd batting point then go on. Although tomorrow's weather forecast isn't the best

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

May 20 2017, 12:21 AM 

I haven't been, haven't seen a ball bowled but hey ho here's my view! I like our match position, if it stays dry I think we'll win.

As others have said, we've batted first because we really didn't want to bat last. Full marks to Leaning for hanging in there and Hodd for seemingly playing with fluency leading to us having a very good last session.

The exchange above about Stoneman. I don't often have the inside line but on this one I do, but don't ask my source. Key point Stoneman didn't want to leave Durham and turned down all approaches. Surrey just kept coming back with more and more. It got to the point he couldn't turn it down, the contact value was 'daft'. I was told no other county could have got remotely near the terms he was offered. Durham in their financial situation were happy to have him off the pay roll. To say we weren't interested or didn't try to sign him is incorrect.

This message has been edited by sid-don on May 20, 2017 10:02 AM

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

May 20 2017, 9:13 AM 

Suspect Lancs will be less pleased than us as we recovered in the final session, and having lost Anderson. It wasn't one of those slight things where the bowler pulls up slowly and shakes a limb or two enquiringly. He went down suddenly in real pain. Be a bit surprised if we see him in the next Roses game, never mind this one.

Delighted for Jack, but it was Hodd who looked really good. He's had a strange career. Just how much better he'd have to have been with the bat to be a first choice somewhere, it's hard to say, but not much. He'd be one of the weakest no 6 batsmen in the division, but he's one of the best no. 8s.

Watching Jack in the Championship again - and he hasn't given us all that much opportunity - what strikes me is the relative absence of bread and butter shots to work the ball for ones and twos. He can whack it, as he's shown in limited overs, but in first class games he can get utterly becalmed under pressure. If he could just acquire another single each over or two, life would get a lot easier.

Overall a good day's 'proper' Roses cricket, a lot of hard graft.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

May 20 2017, 10:34 AM 

How wonderful to get back to proper cricket, not that i have not enjoyed the RL Cup, especially now we seem to have learnt how to play it. 50 overs combines the best of t20 with a chance for the bowlers to shine.

The problem with late reports is that most of what you wanted to say has already been said.

Ballance was heavily criticised for batting first, but i would have preferred a first day batting than facing kerrigan and parry on the last day, Lord knows they bowled very well even on the first day.

This was a real test of our batting skills, we could easily have seen 16 wickets or more, but for the real yorkshire grit and determination..... I doubt any other team would still be batting this morning....

but then everytime it looked like we had got out of the woods, back came the lancys with a wicket or 2, then just as it looked like we were gonna be bowled out on the first day back came the yorkies and it was like that all day.....totally engrossing cricket.

Hodd has taken a lot of stick for his batting, but in truth he made batting look easy

And a special mention for jack leaning, how determined he was to get his 50 and what a lot it meant to him.

The entire side knuckled down to a difficult days batting and i would say we finished the day on top.

I just hope that if we get the chance to win this match that we put in the same effort as we did yesterday.

Finally a mention about the thousands of school kids in attendance in the morning, yes they did make a lot of noise, what else do you expect primary school children to do? But hats off to lancashire who know that these kids will be what keeps cricket financed for many years to come. Hope to see a repeat of this at Headingley soon.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk