<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Championship | Lancashire vs Yorkshire at Old Trafford (Day 3)

May 21 2017, 7:33 PM 

It's difficult not to give the new ball to Brooks and Sidebottom, the best new ball pair in the country over the past 3/4 years. In fairness Coad did get an early crack with the 2nd new ball. He may well be required to play the Patto role when the dynamic duo are playing, although when Brooks has one of his off days, I would expect Coad to get hold of the new ball.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 21 2017, 8:02 PM 

Take a minor miracle to fashion a win from here but hope springs eternal, at least in me.

I heard Anderson will take no further part in the match so just the 3 very early wickets in the morning would be the only chance.

I hope Adil and the boys are enjoying the training camp in Spain, he might, or might not, have made the difference.

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

May 21 2017, 8:10 PM 

Thank god I wasn't there to watch Chanderpaul's innings. He may be effective but he is horrible to watch.

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

May 21 2017, 8:12 PM 

One wonders if the Anderson situation will make the ECB even more reluctant to release players for county games?

(Login BrickyardBoy)

May 21 2017, 9:58 PM 

I am a great fan of Gary Ballance and until today had been very happy with his early games as YCCC captain. I would not condemn him completely on today's activities at Old Trafford, but for me the way Coad was handled was demonstrative of all that is wrong with Yorkshire cricket.

Here we have a young pace bowler, who in difficult circumstances has taken more wickets than any other bowler in the County Championship this year. On the other hand we have returning two ageing and injury-prone, but undoubtedly able/classy opening bowlers with proven track records. Of course, neither has bowled a bowl "in anger" since last September, but they are the senior bowlers.

The scenario is a difficult one for the "colt" captain. As such it is a test of his man-management skills. Does he err on the side of nostalgia, or does he go with CURRENT form. Choose the former and he will keep the senior players quiet/happy, but may damage the confidence of the emerging talent which is the future.

It is a difficult balancing act and, harsh though it may seem, for my money, Ballance failed . OK to open with Siddy and Brooks, but to keep them on for over an hour and then give the ball to Bresnan before finally turning to Coad, seemed to imply that the captain (and perhaps the coach) have an awful lot to learn about psychological development.

Not surprisingly, when finally given the ball, Coad, did not ball very well. Hardly surprising, as his captain had shown a preference for three elderly gentlemen all of whom are in decline.

Not until his final spell at the end of the day, did Coad regain the confidence to bowl and make the batsman play.

I have seen this happen so many times with young players brought into the first team. They do well and are then undermined by poor nurturing skills. It will not do; and today it worked to Yorkshire's disadvantage. When finally, he was given responsibility. Coad dismissed, within a couple of overs, Chanderpaul, whose innings may well have taken the game away from Yorkshire, .

Yorkshire had a difficult day in the field.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on May 22, 2017 5:53 AM

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 22 2017, 12:18 AM 

Regarding young Ben Coad, he might have taken a number of wickets but he has mostly done it with the new cherry under cloud cover. Ballance was right to revert back to the opening pair of Sidebottom and Brooks, who have been successful since 2013 and more importantly to see how Coad would fare with the older ball under sunnier skies.

Naturally Coad is going to be disappointed being effectively 4th seamer in this match after making early season headlines, but it's a captaincy decision to see how the player would respond for being a change bowler.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 22 2017, 7:24 AM 

Some of that's a bit harsh on Ballance. There was a case for Coad rather than Brooks (I assume no-one thinks Ryan should not have opened), but Brooks did get Hameed straight away, which to some extent justifies the decision. I would have changed things a bit sooner, but to refer to Coad as 4th seamer gives the wrong impression. He and Bresnan were a double change. It may even be possible that Coad had been asked which end he would prefer. These complaints don't mention that Coad, not Brooks, took the second new ball, and encouragingly Jack was there urging him on. Nor did Coad get Chanderpaul straight away. He had had an earlier spell at him. Chanderpaul looked in no trouble to any of them, though he had to treat Ryan more warily. Coad got him bowled behind his legs, completely out of the blue.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 22 2017, 8:22 AM 

I think Coad, as an uncapped player, should be able to take plenty of confidence from the fact that he is in the team in place of such a proven performer as Steve Patterson and a player of such promise as Mathew Fisher.

If that's not enough for him, and he is unable to bowl well unless his ego is massaged by getting the new ball before Sidebottom and Brooks, then he might need to see a shrink.

Everybody has a role to play, I'm sure he knows what his role is and that if he proves himself good enough in all circumstances he will be first on the team sheet and first with the new ball.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 22 2017, 8:59 AM 

If we are talking about psychology then it is pretty obvious that Brooke had to open having just got a maiden century. All of us would have been decrying not doing this as a missed opportunity

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 9:07 AM 

Absolutely.
You go with the player who's having a good game.
I thought Rafiq was over bowled after lunch - although if we'd had Rashid available i think they'd be following on already..

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 22 2017, 9:08 AM 

Yes Brooks had to open and it worked. Likewise Siddy with his accuracy and variety of angle as left armed.

But when Chanderpaul comes into bat then sometimes you could have WArne and Marshall bowling in tandem and you know they won't get him out.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 22 2017, 11:22 PM 

Not with you here at all Brickyard Boy.

I thought Ballance handled this brilliantly from a man management point of view. You're right about all the issues that you have to weigh in the balance (sorry). Motivation for returning seniors can be as important as nurturing your high-performing youngster.

The first new ball was all Sidebottom and Brooks, yes. But what happened around the second new ball was really telling, and really well judged. He brought Coad on for a four-over spell at over 78. Which meant he got two overs with a bright new cherry, to show what he could do. Then Brooks replaced him for a couple of overs, ball still fresh -- then Coad was back. That showed careful thinking by Ballance -- here was an occasion, Brooks just back from injury, long day in field after an innings he himself said had 'knackered' him -- perfect occasion to say to Brooks 'I'm using you lightly, but of course you're still my lead attack bowler'. And so to bring Coad in, and at a key moment in the game, both as 'first up' in overs 81 and 83, and then through in to the early 90s. If we were ever going to be able to get a result out of this game it was going to be in those ten overs, and Coad was brought in as part of the opportunity. And that's when he got Chanderpaul. I don't think this pattern was random, I think Ballance thought it through and handled it well, very well, with an eye to both players.

In this match I bet Coad cared less about his place in the bowling pecking order than making sure he didn't screw up by getting out when Jack was nearing his maiden century. The dressing room would have been merciless for years afterwards, recalling Brooks stranded on 99! And I bet that's why he was sent in 10 not 11 ... so there was marginally less at stake for him, with Ryan to come in behind, just in case.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk