<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Championship l Lancashire vs Yorkshire at Old Trafford (Day 4)

May 22 2017 at 1:28 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

May 19-22, 2017 - at Old Trafford, Manchester

Yorkshire 448-8 dec. Lancashire 264-6 (94 overs)

Live Scorecard
Old Trafford Weather

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

Re: Championship l Lancashire vs Yorkshire at Old Trafford (Day 4)

May 22 2017, 7:30 AM 

Draw is the favourite. Our only real chance is if we get them to follow on and if Anderson isn't available, that means 3 quick wickets.

You sense a Brooks special is needed where he goes on the rampage...

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 9:05 AM 

I know people would expect me to say this - but i can just sniff an unlikely victory today....
I fancy an early morning blitz.
I was there yesterday - we seemed to lose our aggression in the afternoon session - it felt like we all believed that a Chanderdpaul century was somehow inevitable. Other than that - we were very impressive for the first half of the day..

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 22 2017, 9:21 AM 

Hope springs eternal yet again.

We should know how it's going to go fairly early on.

Hope we at least get the final bowling point to give us 10 from the match.

Hate for them to come out of it with more points than us.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 22 2017, 9:31 AM 

Agree with you Steve. It just seemed we had gone to sleep, wasting overs and time waiting in hope for second new ball. It was not as though our four seamers were tired after long day and many overs. It was OK to us Rafiq/spinner at one end but we needed to try to get wickets with time at a premium. I hope Sidebottom, Coad and/or Brooks and Bresnan will strike quickly and achieve the follow on, but I am not too confident that we will bowl tightly enough to get 3/4 wickets and also keep the runs under some control. Here's hoping .......

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 10:20 AM 

Hope for a win, but doubt it will happen, as we only have 96 overs.

The last 3 (or 4) wickets within the first 1/2 hour and we have a chance. Then it`s the follow on, and trying to get Chanderpaul out again. Not the most pleasing batsman to watch, but like a limpet when batting. Over 26000 runs and an average of 54.77 in first class cricket says it all.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Ah well..

May 22 2017, 11:41 AM 

On the other hand it might be a draw.....

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

May 22 2017, 11:48 AM 

Looks like we might come out of this with a point less than them. Let's get Lees and Lyth back in the middle for a few hours to work on bringing their form back.

Howden53
(Login howden53)

May 22 2017, 11:50 AM 

Could well finish...Lancashire 10 points, Yorkshire 9 points. I suspect Lancs will be pleased considering they lost Anderson in the first hour of the match.

Lancs beat Somerset and had the better of their 2 other matches at Essex & Surrey.

If McLaren is 99 not out when the 9th wicket falls, would Anderson be allowed to come out with a runner?

This message has been edited by howden53 on May 22, 2017 12:02 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 12:20 PM 

The vagaries of CC, we end up with 1 less point than them after outplaying them for most of the match (apart from the first 1/2 hour).

Can not see Lancashire losing many matches this season with that batting line-up. Could be 10 draws or more for them this season.

Looks like the other Div 1 matches will also be drawn so nothing lost overall, apart from Essex.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

May 22 2017, 12:24 PM 

everyone now talking about the lost bonus point.

We really should have made more of an effort to get it, but had i said that then, no doubt would have been shouted down.

Howden53
(Login howden53)

May 22 2017, 12:27 PM 

Looks like Lyth/Lees & Co can fill their boots and improve their averages against 60-odd overs of spin - cannot see Lancs bothering to exert Bailey & McLaren after the shine has gone from the new ball.

Only 21 overs bowled this morning in 90 minutes despite Rafiq bowling from one end??

This message has been edited by howden53 on May 22, 2017 12:30 PM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 22 2017, 1:22 PM 

I've not bothered attending today. I doubt there will be 100 people in the ground - there was hardly anyone there yesterday when the game was, potentially, interesting.

I have never seen so few Yorkshire supporters at a game of cricket anywhere.

Howden53
(Login howden53)

May 22 2017, 1:28 PM 

Blame the Lancashire groundsman - if Brookes can score a century and players like Parry, Bailey and Kerrigan score runs with ease, it tells you all you need to know.

Check the Old Trafford championship scores in the last 4/5 matches of last season - the bowlers of title hopefuls Yorkshire, Somerset and Middlesex in successive OT matches were tearing their hair out in frustration (same in years gone by for great bowlers like Wasim Akram, Michael Holding and Jimmy Anderson - all made to look ordinary by Old Trafford "roads".

Lancashire were undefeated in 7 games at OT last season (they never looked like losing a game) but we all know how bad they were away from home - they nearly got relegated again.

This message has been edited by howden53 on May 22, 2017 1:31 PM

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 1:31 PM 

Yeah - I thought that was odd too.
I suspect Yorkshire numbers were down because of Rugby League on TV all day and worries about getting stuck in football traffic at the end of the day.

Its hard not to be impressed by Old Trafford these days. The new buildings complement the old very well i think - and the new hotel looks stunning.
It got me thinking about Headingley Lodge - does that appear in our accounts anywhere? Do we make money out of the hotel these days or does that still go to Caddick..?

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

May 22 2017, 1:35 PM 

Agree, Peter: once again we seem to be uninterested in stretching ourselves to snatch bonus points.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 22 2017, 1:45 PM 

Agreed, there seems to be too much of a tendency to believe that upping the rate automatically means we will lose wickets and get a below par score.

Howden53
(Login howden53)

May 22 2017, 1:51 PM 

Lancashire in danger of gaining a first innings lead!

Kerrigan?

This message has been edited by howden53 on May 22, 2017 1:57 PM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 22 2017, 2:27 PM 

It's odd that wickets fall to the first new ball, both teams' first innings, but the second new ball, taken against supposedly lesser batsmen, hardly troubles them. It's a pattern we've seen in previous games, too.

Yes, the pitch does look very flat and slow and non-spinning. Or perhaps it's the bowlers who are non-spinners. Neither side has any pace at its disposal, and there seems to have been no swing, with new ball or old.

And yet, I attended Lancs against Somerset, earlier this season, an outstanding game of cricket by any standard. Bowlers were on top in 1st and 4th innings, batsmen had some fun in the middle part. The ideal pitch, except spin played little part on it.

Let's hope for a better surface, and a much bigger crowd, at Headingley for the return.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 2:51 PM 

Lyth has missed his chance for a "net" for a couple of hrs. His poor form continues. it`s becoming a concern now.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk