<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

Re: Championship l Lancashire vs Yorkshire at Old Trafford (Day 4)

May 22 2017, 2:52 PM 

Lyth gone early again even when he's under no pressure to get runs (from a match point of view.) Just how close is he to being dropped? What would our options be?

There doesn't look to be an abundance of options.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on May 22, 2017 2:55 PM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

May 22 2017, 2:53 PM 

... we couldn't actually be all out for 150, leaving them 160-odd to get in 25 overs could we ... sad.gifsad.gif

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 2:59 PM 

No.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 22 2017, 3:10 PM 

Tom - Lyth is as close to being dropped as I am to Uranus.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 3:18 PM 

Might there be a declaration?? Hanscomb 42 of 22 balls!!

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 3:27 PM 

I think Peter is just a bit bored.
Hes just discovered some of the peculiarities of the English county system and he cant believe he's been given an afternoon against weak bowling to work on his average.
Lees - on the other hand - sees a hand grenade in every ball. The last thing he needs is another failure.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 22 2017, 4:52 PM 

Match drawn, lets hope the other 2 Division One matches go the same way.

(Login dpressed)

May 22 2017, 7:12 PM 

I attended today and again the county on the wrong side of the Pennines showed that they lack class. When we heard that Anderson would 'bat if required' most Yorkshiremen expected that this would be if Lancs needed runs to avoid a follow on or even to get to another batting point (yes even I could understand that). To send in an injured batsman with a runner when they had scored 401 was just small minded stupditiy (censored version). If Yorkshire had done this with an England player (I hope/expect we never would) Ballance & probably Gale would be banned for at least a month. I also know that the 'Yorkshire faithful' would have criticised Ballance/Gale as much as we critisied Croft/Chapple

The rest of the day went as expected. Lancs easily saved the follow on & then got up towards the Yorks score. On the pitch that they produced even the most biased Yorks follower couldn't expect Lancs to declare once they got past the follow on. There was a surprise when McLaren appeared to edge a Rafiq delivery to Hodd, Yorks celebrated, umpire Jeremy Lloyds shook his head & put his hands behind his back, eventually there was a loud howzat after which McLaren walked off without Lloyds raising his finger.

Lyth was bowled by about the only decent delivery that Kerrigan made in our 2nd innings, it did wobble about but Adam should have kept it out. Handscomb was very brutal against the rest of his bowling which looked very poor (the Lancy followers weren't happy). Peter got to his ton, but had quite a bit of luck, being badly dropped on the boundary when the fielder misjudged a catch, & there were other incidents of good luck.

But the real victor was the Old Trafford pitch, which was low & slow & once the ball got old the only way to take wickets was the batsman making a mistake. This was the sort of pitch that should be outlawed, not one that gives help to seamers and/or spinners

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 22 2017, 8:05 PM 

What a bizarre opening paragraph.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

May 22 2017, 8:13 PM 

What a bizarre opening paragraph.

In fairness I don't think the part about a months ban is completely serious. The point is though that I very much doubt that "team England" would be very impressed by one of their stars, already injured in the match, being made to bat in a game that by that point was already doomed to a bore draw. A very odd decision.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 22 2017, 10:20 PM 

I have to agree it was a nonsensical decision to risk Anderson when any chance of the follow-on and therefore of a result had long since gone.

(Login dpressed)

May 23 2017, 9:10 AM 

I stand by what I said. I just couldn't believe that Lancy would do such a thing, & I was only half joking about what 'Team England' would have done to Yorkshire if we'd sent an injured England player into bat for no reason.

Although after last night its all irrelivant. My thoughts are with those hurt & their family & friends.

(Before anyone objects to my previous sentence. My route to & from Old Trafford is past the MEN. As I queued past last night there were already people milling around for the concert)

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 23 2017, 9:57 AM 

From todays YP

"......The draw extended Yorkshire’s unbeaten stranglehold at Old Trafford having last lost a Roses first-class encounter in 2000......"

17 years since we have lost at OT??

I thought we lost about 4 or 5 years ago when Lancashire scored 200 of about 20 overs on the final afternoon.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

May 23 2017, 10:01 AM 

Not at OT if I remember (which I don't want to) rightly.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 23 2017, 10:02 AM 

I think that was at either Blackpool or Liverpool - my memory has tried to erase it.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 23 2017, 10:03 AM 

Aigburth.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 23 2017, 10:35 AM 

Thanks Guys.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 23 2017, 12:05 PM 

The year Lancashire rotated their square 90 degrees I think so they played all home games away from Old Trafford. I seem to remember their overseas player from Pakistan doing some damage

(Login dpressed)

May 23 2017, 12:20 PM 

Yorks won at Old Trafford in 2002 (our first victory in a season where we were relegated, Richard Dawson did well) & 2014.

I still say that playing away from OT was a big factor in Lancs winning the 2012 Championship. Thankfully it looks like OT is reverting to type so there will be many draws. We lost about 1/2 a day's play in the match, yet Yorks were only partially the way through our 2nd innings. The reason was simple. The pitch was low & slow. Perhaps Anderson or Rashid could have done some damage. I suspect that even if both had played the whole match there would have still been a draw.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 23 2017, 12:20 PM 

I think the overseas player was Maharoof, from Sri Lanka. He was said to be on less money than any of the English players!

I seem to remember the run chase was quite a small one, but yes at 10 per over or nearly. Wasn't that the game Simon Guy made his one off comeback?

We also lost narrowly to them at Headingley, the occasion of Rich Pyrah's great century in vain.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk