<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bradford Park Avenue

May 23 2017 at 6:39 PM
Cricket Yorkshire  (Login cricketyorkshire)

Good to be back at Bradford Park Avenue today for its official launch of the new nets.
If you're interested in the curious challenges of building on top of a football pitch, today's article may be for you:
http://cricketyorkshire.com/bradford-park-avenue-nets/
With schools, clubs, visually impaired players and the Yorkshire's England contingent present, it was quite the occasion and the venue is kicking on very well.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

Re: Bradford Park Avenue

May 23 2017, 8:49 PM 

Reading about this today really made me smile. Good news that the ground is being redeveloped to such a high standard. And I feel proud that Joe, Adil and Jonny went to open it today, looked like hundreds of children were there.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 24 2017, 3:13 AM 

The ground where I fell in love with County Cricket.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Bradford Park Avenue

May 24 2017, 9:11 AM 

The concept is fine and to be welcomed. However, I recall that the last time first class cricket was played at the ground, many supporters' cars were damaged and broken into.
No account will be taken of this as the organizers' and officials' cars will be safely inside the ground. The rest of us will have to take our chance.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 24 2017, 1:48 PM 

Hope they sort out the vandalism issue by 2020, as that is the year when the ECB have decreed that we cannot use our ground and the 50 over matches will have to be played elsewhere (with our second team), and Bradford is likely to be one of the grounds used. Probably 2 at Scarborough and 2 at Bradford?

Cricket Yorkshire
(Login cricketyorkshire)

Vandalism

May 25 2017, 9:16 AM 

Good to hear the comments on BPA...they're perfectly valid around security given both the investment going into the site and the history when it used to be regularly targeted.
Guess we wait and see but if there ends up being £5.5m put into BPA then I can only imagine the security will be mighty with tripwires, drones and lasers.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Is the investment in the right place!

May 25 2017, 9:39 AM 

I know it's very difficult to put aside history and childhood memories and falling in love with cricket etc, and Bradford needs the facilities heaven knows, but.

Isn't Bradford just a teeny weeny bit close to Leeds!

Surely if Yorkshire want to bring on a facility that allows them to play the odd CC game and 2 or 3 of the 50 over matches away from Headingley, then isn't the Sheffield/Barnsley area the place to be doing it.

Tyke 1950
(Login Tyke1950)

May 25 2017, 10:45 AM 

With tongue in cheek and with due respect to the many Loiners on this site, isn't Leeds just a teeny weeny bit close to Bradford?!

Like you, I regret the passing of the outgrounds. Fortunately, one such survives in Yorkshire. Scarborough will enjoy 2 Championship matches this year, out of the 7 left to us by the ECB.
I understand that the only possibility of first class cricket being played in Bradford would be in 2020. Given Bradford's depressing record of failed projects, I won't be holding my breath.

Living in Bakewell, a match or two in the Sheffield area would suit me just fine. Pigs fly, I understand.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 25 2017, 4:56 PM 

You will have the Chesterfield T20 to look forward to.

Tongue firmly in my cheek I would suggest you switch to Derbyshire but after listening to R5SX this afternoon I realise that might not be a comforting idea.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 25 2017, 6:31 PM 

Coastal View - I agree with you completely about Bradford being close to Leeds, as indeed is Harrogate, and it's the neglected South Yorkshire area that really needs FC cricket. Unfortunately, Abbeydale Park never seemed to attract any sort of crowd.

Scarborough does provide something for the people within the York, Hull, Middlesbrough triangle.

So I'm not clamouring for a return to the Park Avenue of my boyhood as a FC venue. If it happens, as an alternative to Leeds, then great. But certainly not as an alternative to Scarborough.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 25 2017, 10:14 PM 

Yes, I was speaking more out of fairness than anything else. There's no getting away from it we live in a damn big county.

I'm a 20 minute walk from North Marine Road so the more the merrier at Scarborough for me.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 26 2017, 12:55 AM 

With Headingley being a venue for the 2019 Cricket World Cup, I had Bradford Park Avenue down as hosting a County Championship fitxture or two. For 2020 onwards, maybe the ground will host the watered down One Day competition when City Based T20 takes place at Headingley.

Canterbury Avenue is not as rough as it used to be 20 years ago, it's on a par with the housing estate behind Emirates Old Trafford so I don't envisage vandalism, vehicle break in's etc.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk