<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

England v SA 50 overs.

May 24 2017 at 8:58 AM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Should be a difficult start with a sombre mood following the events in Manchester.

I hope once people have paid their respects though the cricket takes over and people enjoy themselves in the Sunshine.

That said, perhaps it would be fitting if a little bit of extra self control could be shown to tone down the amount of alcohol fuelled idiocy that often takes place in certain areas of the ground.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mark Smith
(Login spikeyboy60)

Re: England v SA 50 overs.

May 24 2017, 9:10 AM 

I agree on the alcohol....the state some get in is ridiculous
I also hope there are plenty of armed police/soldiers there today......visible signs of a proper security presence...wouldn't bother me if I were going...not going as it's cheaper to get SKY.....never thought i'd do it but I'm not paying £50 for an ODI !!!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 24 2017, 10:24 AM 

Yes my excitement ahead of my first day of cricket watching this season has been deflated by events of more significance and the consequences for today.

As a result I plan to drive, not drink and take as little as possible in view of the increased security and checks that are now necessary.

sadly we have to try and carry on as before but it's hard not to be affected and alter your plans so soon after this weeks awful events in Manchester.

On a positive note I'm looking forward to seeing Miller against Rashid and Plunkett

(Login matthefish2002)

May 24 2017, 10:28 AM 

I glad to see we have good weather for todays game.
Did think about going but combination of price, likely late finish with pain of getting home after and the boozy behaviour of some spectators I decided against it.

Difficult to know the proper response to the events in Manchester on Monday night.
I understand the need for extra armed police but would have the effect of putting me a bit on edge.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 24 2017, 10:32 AM 

Is there a potential problem, with alcohol fuelled morons in the stands and Muslims in both teams? It's all very cynical. They search you to prevent you taking drinks in, only so they can sell you stuff at inflated prices.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

May 24 2017, 10:38 AM 

"alcohol fuelled morons in the stands"

This. After 35 years of going to watch international cricket at Leeds, Birmingham and both London grounds, I am bowing out. I'm not paying that money to sit with a foul-mouthed mob of beer monsters who don't know or care what is happening on the field for 90% of the time.

However, they are target market and I am not. Sad.

The CC suits me just fine, or will until they strangle it.

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on May 24, 2017 10:39 AM

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

May 24 2017, 11:21 AM 

Poster above has neatly summed up my own attitude too.
I don't go to live international games any more.

Re today's game I don't care much who wins, just hope it passes off peacefully.

This message has been edited by NewBrian on May 24, 2017 11:24 AM

(Login dikaiopolis)

May 24 2017, 11:39 AM 

I haven't been to an ODI since the match where a steward was knocked unconscious during a pitch invasion and the match was abandoned, can't remember the year but I think it was against Pakistan, and England were awarded the match as they were so far ahead. Haven't had the appetite since, although I may go to the World Cup if we get some interesting neutral matches. I still go to tests, as they are not quite as bad if you avoid the Saturday, but I much prefer the CC.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 24 2017, 1:08 PM 

Agree with you all. I would not go to an International match if they paid me £1000 to go.

The way the ECB treat County Cricket, there is no way in any shape or form, I am ever going to support them.

If I want to watch it, which I am not that fussed anyway, Sky is a much better option and I do not have to be anywhere near the alchohol fuelled idiocy that goes on.

As an aside --- today starts the 6 week "drinks carrying" duties for Jonny B.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 24, 2017 1:09 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 24 2017, 1:44 PM 

Here we go again. Johnny prevented from playing for Yorkshire but then drinks carrier for Emgland. Completely ridiculous to treat their best and most consistent way so stupidly. Why do they need Rashid, Root and Ali at Headingley. Ali is superfluous and poor. Roy gone already - will they regret Bairstow omission.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on May 24, 2017 2:10 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 24 2017, 1:56 PM 

Morgan has consistently stated that he will not change his top 7 unless someone gets injured, so if that is the case why select Jonny for any of the squads, when they have no intention of playing him.

Batsmen need to be batting, not sat with their feet up for 6 weeks!!

I do appreciate that the Champions Trophy squad can not be changed once selected but that ruling does not apply to the SA 1 day series or the SA T20 series which precede and preclude the Champions trophy matches. Will we get Jonny for our 1 day match v SA "a" on Saturday - would make common sense to give Jonny a game to keep him in practice, but the ECB and common sense never go hand in hand.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 24 2017, 2:00 PM 

Think the above posts of alcohol fuelled antics that occur in the Western Terrace are a bit too far and bordering on the snobbish side. The behaviour is normally in good nature and anyone who goes overboard often find themselves ejected from the ground. I seem to remember Hashim Amla getting a warm reception in the Western Terrace for the 2008 South Africa test, so I very much doubt players of a religious persuasion will be targeted due to recent events.

There are plenty of other places to watch an international, away from the fun and frolic of the Western Terrace, for the weel heeled punters and more alcohol free zones under Mark Arthur's stewardship.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: England v SA 50 overs

May 24 2017, 2:22 PM 

Have to agree with pyrahtechnics about the perhaps snobbery of some people. These 'Morons' like it or not provide the club with much needed money. I for one always sit in the western terrace when it is open and personally never seen any trouble.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

May 24 2017, 3:01 PM 

When I went to New Zealand for the 2015 Cricket World Cup, I saw a few England fans who got ejected from the Westpac Stadium for getting overly rowdy or even appear to be heavily intoxicated. Turns out anyone who is inebriated and causes a public nuisance can be an offence and are dealt with by the authorities.

Employ a similar approach here in England and those who enjoy a few beers will get the message.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

May 24 2017, 3:25 PM 

I work in Birmingham and to get there join the Reading/Newcastle train about half an hour before Brum. Whenever there is an international fixture at Edgbaston, there are always lots of blokes on the train who are (from the table full of empty tins) already on to their third or fourth beer, even though it is only about 0845. In my opinion, ECB/England has sold its soul to both Sky and alcohol-fuelled idiocy. If saying that makes me a snob in some people's eyes, so be it.

I can't believe that the ECB or the England coaches will allow Jonny to play no cricket between now and the First Test on July 6th. Must release him back to us for some cricket, surely.

(Login matthefish2002)

May 24 2017, 3:38 PM 

I think once the Champions Trophy starts then sides can nor release player for County Games until their side is knocked out. So wont be seeing Bairstow until England are out.

I don't mind people having a drink at cricket, I normally have couple myself but did sit on the Western Terrace for a Saturday of a test match a couple of years ago. Wouldn't go as far as to say my day was ruined but certainly wished I had paid the £10 more and sat elsewhere.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 24 2017, 5:09 PM 

ECT --- "I can't believe that the ECB or the England coaches will allow Jonny to play no cricket between now and the First Test on July 6th. Must release him back to us for some cricket, surely."

I can believe it!!

All the England players play against Surrey on June the 26th to get used to playing with a pink ball and in readiness for the day night test match in August, but you can bet your last dollar, that that is the only cricket Jonny will play before the first test.

So 6 weeks without a game, then a 4 day match with a pink ball and under lights. What wonderful preparation for a test match!!!!

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 24 2017, 6:39 PM 

Ali is superfluous and poor.

Ali 77* off 51! 😂

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 24 2017, 7:01 PM 

Point taken - Ali had good knock in support of his captain. I still think Johnny should be in team, but not so sure about Plunkett.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 25 2017, 12:22 AM 

I have no problem with the activities in the Western Terrace / White Rose Stand. Lots of banter, a few beer snakes, fancy dress, people enjoying themselves. The only problem has been the rent-a-thug stewarding, trying to enforce silly regulations.

The 'drunken morons' I referred to are the sponsored up 'clients' on the other side of the ground, where toilet rolls and some liquid (which might have been beer) were thrown from the balcony on those of us trying to watch the game in the East Stand. That was at a Test match a few years ago.

Watching on TV, it all looked fairly sensible today.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk