<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login BrickyardBoy)

Re: England v SA 50 overs.

May 25 2017, 7:19 AM 

It would appear that Team England is deaf to the rational arguements put forward by YCCC and cricket fans and supporters regarding the availability of centrally contracted and fringe players. Perhaps the best way to bring pressure on the ECB would be to "boycott" international games by refusing to purchase tickets and cancelling Sky Sports subscriptions. Such action would have a dramatic effect, but it will not happen, because too many people would put their desire to watch above direct action aimed at effecting change. Consequently, it would seem that those, like myself, who deplore the ECB approach are left with the choice of going along with the status quo, or alternatively, voting with their feet. I choose the latter, but it is a lonely and self-denying place to be; and one which has yet to reach any sort of tipping-point.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

May 25 2017, 7:51 AM 

The possibility that the Yorkshire players might be released to play against Surrey but not against Middlesex had already crossed my mind. Can't think why...

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 25 2017, 8:07 AM 

"The possibility that the Yorkshire players might be released to play against Surrey but not against Middlesex had already crossed my mind. Can't think why..."

Because you're paranoid?

Take it easy, EYT. Let's not devolve into personal attacks.

Alex, Moderator

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 25, 2017 4:02 PM

(Login dpressed)

May 25 2017, 8:38 AM 

And we are right to be paranoid. Yorkshire give more player than anyone, yet are treated worse when it comes to releasing them

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 25 2017, 8:57 AM 

Paranoia is thinking people are out to get you when they aren't. But by their every act the ECB show full intent to do as much damage to Yorkshire, and to Durham, as possible,

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 25 2017, 9:25 AM 

I went yesterday and enjoyed the game in a good atmosphere and whilst there was increased security and visible armed police walking around the cycle track most people seemed to be continuing as before with their approach to attending the cricket.

I was fortunate to be a guest of the sponsors but refrained from drinking as I wanted to watch and enjoy the cricket. As ever the meal overruns at the interval so you find you have to rudely leave the table early but at least I didn't throw any toilet rolls on those in the cheap seats below.

The usual beer snake, Mexican wave and fancy dress but no trouble and the stewards seemed less heavy handed. Other than the two cheeky punters who blagged their way into the free bar and when caught out then whinged and wasted 45 minutes arguing. I think one of the armed police walking past at that point may have speeded up the process.

Note to self. If you are going to blag into the stand being used by sponsors with a free bar then don't stand out by wearing shorts and a tracksuit top as it's not quite the smart casual you get asked to wear.

The cricket was good value and Morgan played a skippers knock but Ali stole the show. Rashid was the better of the two Yorkshire leggies on show and shame Morkel didn't play or he may have bowled more in the game than in his whole Yorkshire career at Heafingley.

With three ex Yorks' in their team plus 3 in ours and 2 reserves, with Siddy being interviewed at intervals on the boundary and Hoggy doing a q&A before the game we almost had a team of yorkies there. Actually I saw Dickie loitering behind the east stand before play so.he could play too.

It's not the same as watching Yorks in a four Dayer but still a good day out.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

May 25 2017, 10:39 AM 

I'm not sure there's many in your boat brickyardboy, or at least many in the eng only camp. I would bet many spectators at an international only follow eng at cricket and don't follow CC or do but only casually. I know i was one of them, eng got me into cricket for a few years i was only vaguely aware of county cricket and certainly wouldn't have known that certain cricketers aren't allowed to play (not that central contracts were around at that time).

To sum up I don't think it's a dilemma for many who watch England internationals they simply aren't aware or are but it's not something that bothers them.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 25 2017, 10:49 AM 

Brickyardboy ---- It would appear that Team England is deaf to the rational arguements put forward by YCCC and cricket fans and supporters regarding the availability of centrally contracted and fringe players. Perhaps the best way to bring pressure on the ECB would be to "boycott" international games by refusing to purchase tickets and cancelling Sky Sports subscriptions.

Agree with the "boycott" call, as that is the main reason I do not attend International matches and would never under any circumstances. As for the second call of un-subscribing to Sky - not for me as I then would not be able to watch any televised domestic cricket or any of the other sports I am interested in, I would be cutting of my own nose to spite my face.

Big Rich
(Login Newyorkie)

Ex-Yorkies

May 25 2017, 12:28 PM 

Third Umpire - Who was the third ex-yorks in their team? Have been racking my brain but drawn a blank. Miller, Tahir and ???

This message has been edited by Newyorkie on May 25, 2017 12:29 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 25 2017, 2:26 PM 

Sorry I was including Morne Morkel who was doing their impersonation of Johnny Bairstow

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

May 25 2017, 2:34 PM 

He didn't play, but I think he's in the squad:

http://cricketarchive.com/Yorkshire/Scorecards/132/132285.html

One of our more impactful overseas signings.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

May 25 2017, 6:24 PM 

Stu

"As for the second call of un-subscribing to Sky - not for me as I then would not be able to watch any televised domestic cricket or any of the other sports I am interested in, I would be cutting of my own nose to spite my face."

You make well the point which I was trying to make about the impracticality of trying to bring about change by evoking a "boycott". It simply would not receive sufficient support to be effective. And yet with adequate support any "boycott" would be of very short duration. The one thing that both SKY and the ECB would not tolerate for any length of time is loss of revenue. I reckon that something like a month would do the trick.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 25 2017, 6:27 PM 

Hitting the ECB's revenue would have the knock on effect of hitting the counties' revenues, but carry on.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

May 25 2017, 8:03 PM 

Seadog73:

"Hitting the ECB's revenue would have the knock on effect of hitting the counties' revenues, but carry on."

Indeed it would and I am completely conscious of that impact. "Boycotts" always have a price which has to be paid. In economics this is known as "opportunity cost", and reflects the understanding that all activity has its price.

The question is that of whether the potential cost is proportionate to the potential benefit. Because an approach of this type would involve ALL stakeholders including the supporter who boycotts, the counties, the ECB and Sky, it would ultimately bring them together to fabricate a solution which takes the interests of all into account. At present that is not the case. Supporters feel aggrieved, Counties feel that their interests are not being taken seriously, and players are being prevented from playing when they want to do so (e.g. Bairstow at Lords last year), the ECB enforces its own position and Sky is happy to cash in on the revenues which it can make from televising that which the ECB has enforced.

Only the ECB appears to be unconcerned. Maybe ( I do not know) Sky takes the attitude that the internal working is a matter for the ECB alone, but surely it is interested in what its customers really want and the money which it puts into the game gives it leverage. It is, therefore, potentially a key ally for those other stakeholders who want to change the behaviour of the ECB.

Before threatening to "boycott" attempts should be made to negotiate with the ECB and certainly with Sky; it is my understanding that some counties, and certainly YCCC, have tried to do so with the ECB; to no avail. I suppose that the counties only relate to Sky through the medium of the ECB. As far as I am aware there is no association which can express the views of cricket followers other than to work through their own county; a modus operandi which we have noted is futile. The media would have the capacity to bring about change if it wanted to do so, but individual journalists have employers who might be happy with the benefits of the current position.

So, in short, aggrieved supporters can either accept the status quo and shut up, or they can band together to promote change. If they choose the latter there will be costs. If they accept the former then they must stop complaining, because it will not change anything and the constant "whinge" is tedious.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on May 25, 2017 8:04 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 27 2017, 11:35 AM 

So the Saffers rotate three players to give everyone a chance to have some cricket before the more important Champions Trophy but England pick Ball for the injured Woakes but risk Stokes with a clear niggle and strapped up.

Utter madness. When Stokes breaks down in the CT his replacement whether Willey or Bairstow is in danger of having no match time whatsoever .

And Roy fails again. Before someone tells me his average and he once scored a huge hundred it's just been stated his top score this summer is 44.

Far from a sell out either. Wonder if FA cup final had any impact.

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on May 27, 2017 11:37 AM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

May 27 2017, 12:12 PM 

Ridiculous to play Stokes if he is not fit to bowl 10 overs. Root's run out was unlucky but also careless with Morgan driving straight.
Bairstow should definitely be playing today instead of either Roy, Stokes or Buttler.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on May 27, 2017 12:15 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 27 2017, 12:24 PM 

The ball that got Roy would have akso have cleaned up Bairstow and anyone else you care to mention.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 27 2017, 12:52 PM 

Why?

It was fast and full but hittable if you play straight and not through Square leg.

They've dropped about 5 catches to date and bad knee or not, Stokes was dropped first two balls he faced

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 27 2017, 1:05 PM 

Okay, Bairstow would've creamed it straight down the ground for four. There really are some fabulous batsmen on this forum 😉

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

May 27 2017, 1:16 PM 

"Okay, Bairstow would've creamed it straight down the ground for four. There really are some fabulous batsmen on this forum 😉"

Can I keep wicket? I don't mind where I bat.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk