<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: England v SA 50 overs.

May 27 2017, 6:58 PM 

A touch of the hokey chokey again from SA I'm afraid. They really should have nailed that.
Great effort from Wood at the end.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 27 2017, 7:40 PM 

Agree, SA threw that away big time. 8 runs from 8 balls with wickets in hand should always be a stroll in the park.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 27 2017, 7:48 PM 

I missed the first half of the second innings. Did Rashid bowl so badly as to preclude a second spell? I saw Plunkett bowl exceptionally well, as he did at Headingley.

Didn't the game remind us how important luck is. The Root run out (someone said it was 'careless' - careless by Morgan or careless by Root, for backing up as he has been taught to do since the age of 8?); then Stokes, missed off each of his first two balls, but he had the ability and class to make a hundred.

But luckiest of all must be the two England openers for getting selected. Whatever the stats say, these two look awful against class bowling. Their batting is not based on sound principles. I suppose the theory is that if they both come off, that's terrific; if only one fails, that's acceptable because of the depth. But wouldn't Moin Ali be able to do an equally good job, score just as quickly, and with more certainty?

Not to mention a certain redhead.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

May 27 2017, 8:18 PM 

No, I thought Rashid bowled reasonably - not his best maybe, but he's always in with a chance of a wicket. Roy and Hales are classic flat track bullies, but we're making big totals regardless of their contributions. Morgan and Root are ultra consistent, although Joe was desperately unlucky today.
Guess they'll rest the injured Stokes for the last game; maybe Jonny will get the nod. Ben should have been out in his first over, twice. SA missed lots of chances in this games, some quite comically.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

May 27 2017, 8:38 PM 

if you get caught 2 yards up the pitch backing up it is not bad luck its bad cricket. especially with all the straight driving that was going on.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 27 2017, 8:43 PM 

Is it only Root of the current batting line up that this forum hasn't called for to be dropped?

Makes you wonder how they're scoring 300+ on a regular basis..

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on May 27, 2017 8:44 PM

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

May 27 2017, 9:06 PM 

You're very harsh, Marsker.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 27 2017, 9:40 PM 

Correct Dwight, how we've won our last 8 ODI's with a batting line containing a top 7 of who I've seen 6 called for to be dropped I'll never know!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 27 2017, 10:40 PM 

You back up, yes, a couple of yards. You do it all the time. Perhaps twice or three times in a career you get run out from a deflection. Is that a reason for not backing up any of the tens of thousand of deliveries you're out there for?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 28 2017, 10:36 AM 

Spot on Dave. All kids are taught to back up as a Root did. In a career it might happen once or twice at most and it's just tough luck. But if you adopt the cautious approach and stay rooted in your crease then I bet you get run out at the other end a damn sight more often in a career.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 28 2017, 6:33 PM 

3 bowlers replacing 3 injured bowlers, so Jonny B probably will still not get a game.

From BBC Sport

Middlesex pair Steven Finn and Toby Roland-Jones and Hampshire's Liam Dawson have been called up for England's third one-day international against South Africa on Monday.

The trio will replace Moeen Ali (groin), Ben Stokes (knee) and Chris Woakes (thigh), who have all been rested for the match at Lord's.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

May 29 2017, 10:57 AM 

Anyone know anything about this new lad turning out for England today? Bairstow?

(Login ExiledinNotts)

May 29 2017, 11:07 AM 

Roy out cheaply yet again.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 29 2017, 11:09 AM 

Awful shot from Root. Poor start here.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

May 29 2017, 11:11 AM 

Jason Roy has played in 43 ODI's with an average of 36.10. Of those 8 have been against South Africa in which he averages 13.62.

As quantity is the only criterion in one day cricket, quality being relegated to irrelevance, it is difficult to understand why Team England is so committed to failure.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 29 2017, 11:30 AM 

This batting line up is so poor they've won their last 8 ODI's and constantly score over 300.
Drop the lot!!!!

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

May 29 2017, 11:32 AM 

keep going lads. no need to regroup, to consolidate

It's he way we play now

Brainless cricket 20-6

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 29 2017, 11:36 AM 

Not sure the afternoon forecast for rain will come into play today!

This message has been edited by Seadog73 on May 29, 2017 11:37 AM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 29 2017, 11:38 AM 

When Bairstow ends up 12 not out people will look back at his run of scores and use it as justification not to pick him.

Quite clever of our top order to all get out so he has no one to build a partnership with to justify his selection

(Login BrickyardBoy)

May 29 2017, 12:01 PM 

It is interesting to note that Bairstow, Rashid and Willey have not batted in a game since 14 May; i.e. 15 days ago.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on May 29, 2017 12:07 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk