<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: England v SA 50 overs.

May 31 2017, 5:13 PM 

Thirdumpire kills his own argument by refusing to attach any blame to Willey and Bairstow for their dismissals.

Willey gave it away in the 20th over with England 6 down. How is that OK just because the top order were worse?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 31 2017, 6:09 PM 

I like a cricket competition and will be listening and watching the Champions Trophy.

Morgan has again been strong in his support of Roy today and reckons he will play, even if he makes another low score against Bangladesh tomorrow.

If you think Morgan is a superb captain who will bring home the trophy then obviously you will applaud his attitude. If he brings home the trophy I may even join you.

I don't think he will bring home the trophy and I think he is being foolish not to take the opportunity to strengthen the team.

I'm quite happy for him to take all the plaudits if England do win, but I hope he is willing to fall on his sword and admit he got it wrong if they don't.

I suspect he has several excuses all lined up though.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 31 2017, 6:51 PM 

England could still have a good tournament and not win. It's a strong competition. It's not as though they are far and away the best side and anything other than winning is failure.

In any case i suspect the bowling would more likely be the down fall if there is to be one. Not hearing many screaming for changes there?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 31 2017, 7:05 PM 

You could be Morgan's script writer Dwight.

I thought this was the global cricket tournament that would end England's long wait to win a global cricket tournament.

Talking about bowlers, it's Broad before Ball and Willey for me, any day of the week.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

May 31 2017, 7:39 PM 

Dwight

There is in my view a difference between the forceful shots played by Willey and Bairstow as opposed to the other top 6.

They read the conditions played themselves in and steadied the ship that had sunk before trying to then press on and launch a counter attack. They were out doing so but with a score of 130 -6 as opposed to 13-4 or whatever, they had more freedom to do so.

They could have batted on and got a good ball and they may have got us up to 200 batting cautiously to the end. But once the ton was up they had to look to then kick on and sadly both got out in doing so.

Some who blazed away against a new ball in the first 5 overs need a rethink of their strategy.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 31 2017, 7:52 PM 

I'll have to disagree that at 82-6 in the 20th over you have much freedom.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 31 2017, 9:17 PM 

I'm in agreement with Dwight and many others. Bat in the 'traditional' way up top, you score 240 to 280 and lose every time. Tee off, and you win the games where it works, get stuffed out of sight when it doesn't - but you end up winning a series 2-1 against a good side.

Unlike other sports, where you can bring on subs for a change of strategy, in cricket you're stuck with the XI you have selected, so that flexibility needs to be built into that XI. The very best players, I would argue (Williamson, Root, De Villiers) can play it either way, the likes of Roy, Hales and Morgan can't; nor can Cook, for example, nor even Bell. My only tweak would be to have one extra 'proper' batsman (Bairstow) instead of Roy, probably, and move Ali a bit higher. It's not as though Jonny and Moin are exactly blockers! But they do have technique against the moving ball, as does Stokes, who was much missed.

We have been distracted by the collapse from the inadequacy of our bowling attack. Agree 100% about Broad being better than those selected. Wood has done himself some good with that wonderful final over at the Ageas Bowl; Plunkett has bowled well in the middle overs; and the spinners are okay. With Woakes rather than Ball, the whole thing looks just about okay, but not tournament winning.

As for expectations, the players themselves have said that any result short of winning the tournament would be a failure, which is brave of them.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

May 31 2017, 9:57 PM 

Agree with Dave re the paucity( edited to limitations) of the bowling attack, particularly the back up bowlers.

Maybe that's why the gung ho, all guns blazing approach has been adopted.

A pragmatic approach recognising that scoreboard pressure is likelier to stifle the opposition more than the bowling attack maybe?

This message has been edited by legglance on May 31, 2017 9:58 PM

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk