<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

FRIENDLY l Yorkshire v South Africa A at Headingley (Match thread)

May 25 2017 at 9:12 AM
Steve C  (Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Is this a one day game or three days...?

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on May 27, 2017 12:20 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Yorkshire v South Africa A

May 25 2017, 9:47 AM 

It is a 1 day game, as SA "a" play Derbyshire next Monday.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 25 2017, 12:24 PM 

I assume some players will be "rested", but some need the practice.

Maybe

Lyth
Lees
Leaning
Tatersall
Rhodes
Waite
Hodd
Rafiq
Patterson
Fisher
Carver

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 26 2017, 5:48 PM 

Squad

Harry Brook
Karl Carver
Matthew Fisher
Ryan Gibson
Jack Leaning ©
Alex Lees
Jonathan Read (WK)
Will Rhodes
Steven Patterson
Joshua Shaw
Jonathan Tattersall
Matthew Waite

Very surprised that Lyth is not in the squad. Surely, the way he is playing at the moment, he needs as much practice as he can get.

Looks more like a second team, than a team that will give SA "a" a competitive game.

Could only be a 1 innings match anyway, if the expected thunderstorms arrive in the afternoon.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

May 26 2017, 7:02 PM 

Equally Lyth could maybe do with a game off to recharge.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

May 26 2017, 8:34 PM 

Hope Harry Cherrington Brook gets a few

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

May 26 2017, 8:49 PM 

Build an ark.

(Login dpressed)

May 26 2017, 8:53 PM 

Looks like Duckworth & Lewis will also get a match.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Re: FRIENDLY l Yorkshire v South Africa A at Headingley (Match thread)

May 27 2017, 9:11 AM 

Possibly might not get much play but I think Yorkshire could and should have picked a stronger team. It's not like they are playing too much cricket at the moment.

Lyth, Rafiq and Hodd are 3 key players in 50 over cricket who could benefit from playing against what you would imagine to be a talented team, Patterson maybe not so much.

Of course with all the Kolpaks it might be the case that SA 'A' turns out to be a little lightweight.

(Login dpressed)

May 27 2017, 10:59 AM 

I've done my best for the team & follwers by not going. But start delayed by rain

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 27 2017, 11:59 AM 

South Africa A currently 23-3. Patto with two wickets.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

May 27 2017, 3:19 PM 

Match abandoned due to rain. Good bowling from our seamers had them at 42/4 at one point. Shame they couldn't get a full game in, as it would have been a good chance to impress and earn a place in the 50 over team for the Quarter Final.

I do find it a shame that the overs can't be reduced before the rain arrives, especially in a friendly game. If this was reduced to a T20, then both teams could have batted before the rain came. It may not have been completed but there's a chance of getting a Duckworth-Lewis result.

This message has been edited by WR_Metcalfe on May 27, 2017 3:20 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 27 2017, 4:40 PM 

Usual non-communication from the club. Turnstiles only open on one side of the ground, but don`t bother telling anyone so they know in advance!!

Strange decision to abandon. Yes it chucked it down, but after a 2.30 inspection it was a lot drier for the second inspection 30 mins later and the sun was beating down. At that point the match was abandoned. It would appear that no-one fancied a game and the players and umpires wanted to watch the FA cup-final or the ODI. I am sure we could have got another 30 overs in.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

FRIENDLY / Yorkshire vs South Africa A at Headingley

May 27 2017, 7:14 PM 

As I noted at a previous game, no refreshments were available today. I met a couple of Somerset members who said Taunton would have done better.
Was lucky enough to bump into Mark Arthur and expressed my displeasure forcibly. He promised to take note.
Also met a gentleman using two sticks and barely able to walk who had had to walk round the ground to gain entry because of the locked gate.
Yorkshire really are very poor at considering the needs of their supporters.

(Login matthefish2002)

May 27 2017, 9:10 PM 

Dont want to go really over the top today but did feel slightly let down.
You have a feeling if game was an international on sky theyn the game would have gone ahead after the downpour.

(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

May 27 2017, 9:27 PM 

Been today.

Agree with Stu and jollyD on the points they raise.

Does anyone know how these games are allocated? Do YCCC bid or do ECB pay us a staging fee to act as a host? Absolutely everything about organisation from YCCC today gave the impression they didn't want to be there. Only one entrance open, long room partly closed, no food available, scorecard without South African side listed and a very token effort at mopping up. Small things matter, they set the tone. Our selected 11 also suggested Moxon and Gale didn't want the game, its a long way from South African to play our second team.

As Stu says, a really surprising abandonment, inspection at 3pm, I was expecting a 3:45 (ish) start. Announcement was met with shock and then resignation.

Interesting conversation about 'bad' abandonment's as we sat in the Long room. Our best suggestion was B&H zone game V Lancs circa 1979, Saturday in May, boiling hot all day, very decent crowd in, damp patches in front of the 1970s pavilion the only problem, think Dickie was umpiring, recall angery scenes and membership cards been thrown in anger at Joe Lister. Anyone from the forum present? My monies on Dpressed.

This message has been edited by sid-don on May 27, 2017 9:30 PM

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

!979...

May 27 2017, 9:39 PM 

I dont think Dpressed was born by then.....

remit 1
(Login remit1)

An utter disgrace...

May 28 2017, 7:50 AM 

“B&H zone game V Lancs circa 1979, Saturday in May, boiling hot all day, very decent crowd in, damp patches in front of the 1970s pavilion the only problem, think Dickie was umpiring, recall angery scenes and membership cards been thrown in anger at Joe Lister. Anyone from the forum present”

I recall it clearly. It was in the Benson & Hedges Cup, 1981. In terms of advancement to the knockout stage of the competition, the game meant nothing to either side.

My abiding memory - and to me it spoke volumes for the indignation that boiled up - was the convergence on the ‘damp patch’ by hundreds of spectators the moment the announcement of cancellation was made….

(Login dpressed)

May 28 2017, 12:02 PM 

Although I wasn't a member at the time, yes I was there. It was a gloreous day.

I remember Paul Allott & Foxy Fowler constantly replying 'It's not safe we could get injured, it's out career' when 'the public' moaned at them as they walked round the running track. When the match was eventually abandoned, well into the afternoon, membership cards were thrown at Joe Lister. Years later groundsman Keith Boyce was at a cricket society. When asked about the match Boyce admitted that they knew by 11 that the 'damp patch's wouldn't improve but they spent hours hoping it would.

As has already been reported Yorks had qualified whilst Lancs couldn't do. So it was a game that didn't matter, well apart from the big crowd who'd turned up to watch. And yes everyone was 100% certain that they would have played if either side needed to.

Part of my reason not not traveling yesterday was the thought that they'd abandon the match given half a chance. I'm sad to be proved right.

There is a precident for this. In the late 1980s or early 1990s Yorks played a tourists match against the Aussies. It was (Epsom) Derby Day & neither team appeared to be bothered. A short shower was enough for them to call it off before the race began.

This message has been edited by dpressed on May 28, 2017 4:36 PM

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

May 28 2017, 6:03 PM 

I was there in 1981 for that B&H game with my Dad. 150 mile round trip for us.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk