<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pictures from Old Trafford

May 25 2017 at 7:12 PM
TheDoc58  (Login TheDoc58)

Some pictures from Sunday's play at Old Trafford.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148197478@N06/albums/72157681132449523

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: Pictures from Old Trafford

May 25 2017, 7:47 PM 

Thank you Doc. Really excellent photographs.
The very last one in your collection is a sobering reminder of how hideous the developments at Old Trafford have been.
Once, that pavilion was the grandest structure on a cricket ground outside London. Now it's a constant reproach to LCCC and an insult to that Club's very many admirable members.

TheDoc58
(Login TheDoc58)

May 25 2017, 9:21 PM 

Thanks Tyke.

You have summed up exactly what I was thinking on Sunday. The facade of the beautiful old pavilion contrasts starkly with the unsightly modern developments surrounding it.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

May 26 2017, 8:31 AM 

Strange isn't it - i felt absolutely the opposite.
I thought how well integrated the new buildings seemed to be - and how they complemented the old pavilion.
Old Trafford now seems to me to have a unified design while Headingley is just a random collection of very different buildings.

Everything is subjective - i'm not suggesting for one second that you're wrong or that i'm right!

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

May 26 2017, 9:03 AM 

Indeed, no accounting for taste. I don't think the elements of Old Trafford fit together. In particular the 'ski slope' looks completely out of proportion - about half as wide as it should be given its massive height. None of the red bits, including the new one, really work, and the old pavilion has been handled adequately, but would have been better left alone in its former glory. Then there's the weird 'hole' - where the other half of the ski slope should be if it was in proportion.

Headingley? Well, difficult to defend with any conviction, but if we'd been spared the green object... I think if the new stand goes ahead along the lines we've seen, the ground will look better than its rival across the Pennines.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

May 26 2017, 9:16 AM 

Absolutely Steve. You're right about contrasting impressions.
In condemning Old Trafford, I'm not thereby condoning Headingley, which has arrived at equal unloveliness but by a different route.
The special desecration at Old Trafford is the pavilion. The perceived requirement to make changes to its facade were a consequence of the overwhelming scale of the buildings planned to surround it. If only those surrounding buildings began to match the elegance and homely warmth of the pavilion!
At Headingley - and this also is a subjective observation - the 'iconic' green structure is a special eyesore. The single powerful advantage of sitting in the Trueman enclosure is that one doesn't have to look at it. The fact that it remains the exclusive preserve of a University and the financially privileged is an incidental irritant.

In my view, the model for developing an agreeable provincial Test Match Cricket Ground is Trent Bridge. It has its unlovely corners but overwhelmingly, the impression is of a ground where aesthetic sensitivity has been allied to practical economics. The collection of structures are all different but have harmonious integrity.

The three 'purpose built' stadia - at Chester-le-street, Southampton and Cardiff are fine in their way but remind me of those Cathedrals such as Guildford or Coventry or the Catholic Cathedral in Liverpool, which have been built with a resolute unity of style. They have their merits but seem to lack heart.
Headingley, Old Trafford, even Edgbaston grew organically over decades. They were constantly added to and modified but remained recognisably 'home'. A further unwelcome aspect of the corporatising of cricket has been the wholesale disembowelling of these grounds to enable a cancerous growth of hotels, corporate facilities and enormous dining suites. Cricket in these places has almost become Incidental to the real business of turning a profit.

Trent Bridge alone seems to be resistant to these cruder commercial pressures. Curiously, the place is loved by its members and attracts crowds both domestically and internationally that are the envy of others. Is there a connection?
At Trent Bridge it is evident that Cricket is its purpose. At Headingley, Old Trafford and elsewhere, on days when cricket is not being played, we might just as well be visiting a biscuit factory.

Sorry for the rant.

(Login matthefish2002)

May 26 2017, 10:19 AM 

Really enjoyed the photos, I saw myself in the background of one which I think was taken while I nodded off for 5 minutes.

I do have to admit out of all the traditional Test match venues I find Old Trafford the most soulless. Think it has been given up too much to corporate entertaining and do not like at all what they have done to the Pavilion.
Think part of it as well is its location on some bland industrial estate.

I do agree with the some of the criticisms of Headingley but don't find it a soulless bowl as some have described it.

Out of the other venues I have to say Trent Bridge is my favourite, they seem to have got it right the balance between modernisation and history.
I also enjoy the Oval with the Hobb Gates, Old Pavilion and the famous Gas tower.
Edgbaston is ok and Lords while you can feel the history and a place I enjoy going to but I cant quite find the words but always feel slightly out of place there.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 26 2017, 10:27 AM 

Good set of photos, Doc, and a nice lens...but it's not just about how big it is, it's how you use it.

Agree with most others about the horrendous "Point", but the Players' Pavilion is marginally better, and the new hotel better again (or less bad). Three red letter boxes. You couldn't accuse any of them of being ornate.

There's also the gap in front of the practice ground, which will be filled with an awful bank of temporary, and unbelievably uncomfortable, seating for the Test. The old stands (which do have new improved seats) between the Old Pavilion and the Red Rose Suit are very poor for viewing, but the ones in front of the hotel catch the sun nicely, even if play was 100 yards away in this game.

Huge playing area, by the way. I would reckon 50% bigger than Headingley, where the boundaries are getting very small indeed.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk