<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Lions squad.

May 29 2017, 7:58 PM 

James Whitaker, the National Selector, said: “We wanted to select a strong and experienced Lions squad for this series, as it coincides with the early stages of the ICC Champions Trophy, and therefore provides us with the opportunity to keep our standby players in white-ball action.

I know Malan and Finn have been called up but Middlesex seem lucky not to lose Toby Roland Jones as well, especially as he was called up for the full England team today.

Livingstone will be a big loss for Lancs, perhaps England could consider a role for Chanderpaul too, perhaps as a batting guru for the series.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: This Weeks Matches

May 29 2017, 8:10 PM 

The statement by James Whittaker does not make sense, as they are not allowed to bring replacements or change the Champions Trophy squad anyway under any circumstances.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on May 29, 2017 8:12 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 31 2017, 10:27 AM 

Following on from my earlier posting about Worcestershire`s great season so far, this from BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40084531

If only some of the other counties could follow there ethos re overseas players.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 1 2017, 12:11 AM 

I can't make head or tail of this. The BBC speaks of Worcestershire's "one overseas player" rule. Do they really think that's a rule that applies only to Worcestershire?

I love going to New Road, but I don't think their policy of poaching players from the Yorkshire junior teams is in any way superior to Hampshire poaching them from the pool of disgruntled South Africans. Neither strategy has anything to do with developing "their own" players.

There's a lot of talk about Moeen Ali going back to Edgbaston and much of that is attributed to noises being made by Warwickshire. However, the fact that Worcestershire have a director who was recently proposed as a prospective interim leader of UKIP never gets a mention.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

June 1 2017, 10:05 AM 

Just on my way to Trent Bridge to watch the Lions against South Africa A.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 1 2017, 10:29 AM 

Dewsburian - I can't make head or tail of this. The BBC speaks of Worcestershire's "one overseas player" rule. Do they really think that's a rule that applies only to Worcestershire?

At least they do not abuse the system, unlike two or three counties who have 5 or 6 overseas players playing regularly. They are one of the better counties in this respect.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 1 2017, 11:25 AM 

It's a long time since I studied the Kolpak question, but I remember being told by a lawyer that the Kolpak ruling was being misinterpreted by the cricket authorities. While EU citizens have a clear right to work in this country under existing law, it isn't at all clear that it would be illegal to impose restrictions on people who came from countries that merely had some kind of trade agreement with the EU. However, no one was willing to challenge this in the courts, since most of the counties wanted to have Kolpaks and the ones who didn't use them much weren't prepared to incur massive legal bills to challenge the system.
If Brexit does actually happen and the UK really does have to go round the world signing trade deals with other countries, it will be interesting to see what happens. India, in particular, has already said it will want freedom for many categories of nationals to travel to, and work in, this country and I presume Australia, NZ and SA will follow suit. Students will be one major category, but I'd have thought there would also be a good chance of "free movement" for sports people in any of these deals. It's going to be interesting, to say the least.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Moving on to this week

June 5 2017, 9:39 AM 

Looks very much like a draw at Lords whatever the weather and with ordinary luck Warwickshire, Trott in particular, should hopefully keep out Hants until the weather arrives.

All very satisfactory putting us in a strong fourth place.

Shame the weather looks like it will put paid to some intriguing matches in Div 2.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

June 5 2017, 10:11 AM 

yep pouring down at Headingley today we probably wouldn't have bowled a ball, good job we only needed 2 days and a couple of hours to destroy Lancs happy.gif

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 5 2017, 11:51 AM 

Hants must be odds on to win now Bell and Trott out and still over 100 in arrears.

Only the half dozen not born in England in current side including one lad who was born in Wisconsin and schooled in Australia.

They did well to find him....

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 5 2017, 1:03 PM 

Can Warwickshire's last three men hold on until the rain reaches Southampton?

At least they held on 'til lunch. Rain forecast from 2 pm?

They really have been pretty hopeless this year, Warwickshire.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

June 5 2017, 2:21 PM 

The rains coming down with Warwickshire having just 2 wickets left.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 3:20 PM 

Hampshire win. Who would have thought it at the start of the season - Hampshire top, Essex second. Joint favourites for relegation at the start of the season.

Blank week for Hampshire next week and Essex play Surrey (2nd v 3rd). A win for us at Taunton and a draw at Guildford, would see us top.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 5 2017, 3:26 PM 

County cricket was ever thus.

Lancs and Yorks have both been relegated the year after winning the title in this century and Middlesex look candidates this year although they have games in hand.

Warwickshire looked poor last year in div 1 and are weaker without Chopra and Patel whilst their youth policy looks weak too.

An ageing team in decline with the only bright spark being the emergence of spinner Sukhjit Singh

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

June 5 2017, 5:11 PM 

Sadly, it looks as if Hants Kolpak emphasis is working for them.
But I would put in a massive well done thus far to the ex-Yorks lads on the coaching front - Craig White at the afore-mentioned Hants & Silverwood with McGrath at Essex.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 5 2017, 5:53 PM 

Feeling for Derbyshire at the moment. They were within touching distance of a win and bad light has stopped play.

Couple of seasons since they won a CC match if I remember rightly. How sick must they feel if they don't get back on.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 5 2017, 8:23 PM 

And Rhodes and Sharp at Worcts plus Sadler at Derbyshire

JG
(Login _JG_)

June 5 2017, 8:27 PM 

Yes, it would have been their first Championship victory since the 2015 season- and their first against Notts for god knows how long...

I still think Hampshire will drop back to mid-table; one injury to Abbott, who has more than twice the number of wickets of their next most succesful bowler, could easily de-rail them. (Admittedly you could say the same about Yorkshire, for whom Coad has over the double the wickets of any other bowler, but I think Sidebottom and Brooks provide more proven firepower than the likes of Berg, Wheal and Salisbury.) It will be interesting to see how Essex's batting copes with the loss of Cook once the Tests start too- their seamers have stood up well to make light of the retirement of Napier and Masters though.

(Login dpressed)

June 5 2017, 9:24 PM 

TU has forgotten another team who won the Championship & got relegated the season after. Even odder it contained a player who was doing it for the 2nd time. The player was Ryan Sidebottom who was with Yorkshire in 2001/2 (Winners/relegated) & Notts in 2005/6 (Winners then relegated by 1/2 a point when they only needed 2 points to stay up but only got 1 in their final match against Sussex).

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk