<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Championship | Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Headingley (Pre-match Thread)

May 30 2017 at 6:28 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

So here we are, setting up for Yorkshire's second Championsip match in nearly six weeks. If would seem to me that if you wanted to kill interest in a league competition and diminish the excitement and momentum generated by a the day-to-day battles inherent in a title race, a six-week break between matches would be a good way to start. As John Lennon might say: "It's (just like) starting over."

In any case, what will Yorkshire's Xl look like, and which of OUR England players will be permitted to feature in the Rose's match? With most of our injured players back in the fold, Yorkshire should be able to put out a strong team - at least in terms of our attack.
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Headingley (Pre-match Thread)

May 30 2017, 7:47 PM 

Same team as Old Trafford would be my guess. Or does Patto come back in at Headingley?

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

Same team

May 30 2017, 7:50 PM 

The "5" England players will not be released by England as they are all part of the ICC champions Trophy squad. I can't see David Willey playing the tournament but England are not permitted to letting him return to his county which in my opinion would be the best thing for him. His control of line has been very poor. Apart from a couple of big hitting knocks in last year's t20 Blast Willey has regressed since signing for the club. He claimed just 9 wickets in 5 Championship outings last year and now his England place is in real doubt. I think our team for Friday will be: Lyth, Lees, Handscomb, Ballance (c), Leaning, Bresnan, Hodd (wk), Rafiq, Brooks, Coad and Sidebottom. Maybe Willey, who came from Northants, was the very highly respected big fish at Wantage Road, whereas at Headingley he has come into a star-studded Yorkshire squad and has failed to live up to expectations. It would be interesting what other Yorkshire fans think!
A Buchan

Papag
(Login Papag1)

May 30 2017, 9:14 PM 

Agree on Willey since he came hes stagnated if not gone slightly backwards, maybe its the ECBs fault hes with us so little it cant be really ours.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

May 30 2017, 9:37 PM 

I'll reserve judgement on Willey until he's had a full run, without injury in our team. I do think that, once fit, he'll prove to be an excellent signing.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

May 31 2017, 8:09 AM 

I presume the team will be the same if everyone is fit.

Lyth
Lees
Ballance
Handscomb
Leaning
Bresnan
Hodd
Rafiq
Brooks
Sidebottom
Coad

It's a bit like the England problem, substituting Adam Lyth for Jason Roy.

You know he has been brilliant in the past and you want him to do it again, but it's been a while now, and at what stage do you drop him!

Difference is we don't have a superstar who could do the job ready to take his place.

Come on Adam, leave a few, get yourself in first and make some positive headlines.

It's easy from here!

(Login matthefish2002)

May 31 2017, 9:06 AM 

I have read some comments saying the lack of Championship games has killed the momentum of them but I am really looking forward to this game.
Think we can forget about our England 5 for the next few Championship games which might not be a bad thing.

From a Yorkshire point of view I am glad Anderson wont be playing but I always enjoy seeing the best players in action. Although I do find some of his antics for England a bit childish at times.
Would go with same team as at Old Trafford and hoping Lyth will find form.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

May 31 2017, 11:35 AM 

David Willey is certainly a bit of an enigma, and certainly someone who you feel has been less effective for Yorkshire than he has been for England - if he has regressed then it has been a rapid regression - after all we signed him at the end of his England debut season. In reality, he has been a pretty constant presence for England - it is only in the last series that he has dropped down the pecking order.

I think by his own admission, his bowling form has dropped off this season. What I find staggering is that until the last ODI, his highest score was 13 in 28 ODIs. Even allowing for the fact that he bats down the order, you would have expected more - I suspect Plunkett has had a couple of 40s/50s during the same period for example.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

May 31 2017, 1:04 PM 

Oddly, it's not so long ago, in the first game of the season against Hampshire, that Lyth looked in superlative form - only to get out for 30 (49 balls) and 29 (30 balls). I think it was the great Ken Barrington who advised batsmen to "fill their boots" when in good nick, because poor form was always just round the corner.

The archive scores and averages and stuff have reappeared on the official site, by the way, no longer under "History" but under "Club".

Presumably someone has paid a fee to Cricket Archive.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

May 31 2017, 1:33 PM 

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on May 31, 2017 1:33 PM

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

May 31 2017, 1:43 PM 

I'm with the same side as at OT.

Lyth is to good to continue to fail and we have little by way of alternative.

I've a good feeling about this game. Bowlers will be better for the 'run' at OT and I expect our batters to make enough runs. Weather forecast decent, I fancy a 20+ point win.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

May 31 2017, 3:12 PM 

No alternative choices for Lyth, so he has to play, but currently I have no confidence in our openers.

Would not be surprised if we were 20-2 by 12 noon on Friday.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

May 31 2017, 5:47 PM 

Of course Lyth will come good, 100-0 at lunch!

marsker
(Login marskeman)

May 31 2017, 9:50 PM 

looks a bit wet on friday.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 1 2017, 12:15 AM 

Life has got tougher for openers who are in a bad trot. You now know the opposition doesn't even need to win the toss to put pressure on you.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 1 2017, 1:03 PM 

From the Lancs OS -----

Lancashire will be without injured seamers Jimmy Anderson and Kyle Jarvis as well as batsman Liam Livingstone, who is on England Lions duty.

But all-rounder Jordan Clark has recovered from his back injury to take his place in the squad after missing the most recent clash.

From our OS ------

Yorkshire name the same 12 as the previously drawn County Championship fixture at Emirates Old Trafford 11 days ago.
YORKSHIRE’S 12-MAN SQUAD TO FACE LANCASHIRE:
Gary Ballance (Captain)
Tim Bresnan
Jack Brooks
Ben Coad
Peter Handscomb
Andrew Hodd (Wicketkeeper)
Jack Leaning
Alex Lees
Adam Lyth
Steven Patterson
Azeem Rafiq
Ryan Sidebottom

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 1 2017, 10:59 PM 

Seems like a long time since we played, makes a nonsense of this 14 match Championship nonsense.

Not allowed to go until Saturday but I'll be there in spirit. I'll be disappointed at anything but a win.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk