<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ICC Champions Trophy

May 31 2017 at 9:39 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Expect England will play their perceived first choice 11 tomorrow.

Hales
Roy
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Rashid
Plunkett
Wood
Woakes

Should be way too strong for Bangladesh, we hope.

There is a small chance they may see sense and leave out Stokes to enable him to get properly fit, but I won't bank on it.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

Re: ICC Champions Trophy

May 31 2017, 10:38 PM 

Can't say I have much interest. If England crash out early will we get the ECB 5 back for the 50 over knockout match(es)? We can but hope.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

May 31 2017, 10:47 PM 

looking at the bigger picture and avoiding being parochial I really hope England do very well and the tournament is a big success

this is a real opportunity for cricket to grab the national attention with no world cup and euros and inspire more interest in the game

we need England and the tournament to do this

looking forward to it the way one day cricket is played these days should be a feast of entertainment with the worlds best players on view

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 1 2017, 12:14 AM 

I think that's a very sensible and laudable position, Menston. However, if England continues to show questionable favouritism in selection policy and then fails, it will leave the sport in a poor light with many neutrals.

(Login matthefish2002)

June 1 2017, 9:11 AM 

I know many on here and some friends I have spoken to are not too keen on 'Team England' but I really hope they do well.
Cricket really needs a successful England team to attract new and lapsed supporters back to the game.
But I have to say without the games being on free to air TV (apart from a light night highlights package) even if England win it it wont generate that much interest.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 2 2017, 9:24 PM 

I know we aren't the only country to get rain but very disappointed that what could have been a fantastic game between NZ and Aus was ruined by rain.

Hope today was the exception, weather wise.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 2 2017, 9:45 PM 

Yep, especially with it being a short format. Shame no reserves days.

Decent result for England though.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 2 2017, 9:49 PM 

Great result for England. They now only need to beat one of NZ or Australia to qualify.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 4 2017, 4:23 PM 

England have brought Finn into the squad to replace Woakes.

Pragmatic choice I suppose, he has the experience and he's one of the players being kept warm for white ball in the Lions squad.

Weather looks pretty dreadful for Cardiff on Tuesday but as we know the weather can always change.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 4:41 PM 

Looks as if the Aussie bowling attack is much better than Englands. 308-2 against us, 182 all out against them.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 5 2017, 9:40 PM 

Guess for a team tomorrow in Cardiff.

Short straight boundaries and a couple of NZ musclemen mean Rash might well miss out again.

Hales
Roy
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Plunkett
Willey
Ball
Wood

Hope the weather in Cardiff turns out to be better than that forecast around here.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 5 2017, 9:49 PM 

Bangladesh scored 305-6 against us, Stu. I'd be surprised if Rashid doesn't play tomorrow, unless it's very damp.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 5 2017, 9:53 PM 

So two no results, a rain affected, very one sided match and two full 50 over matches that turned into a bit of a stroll in the park. Not exactly capturing the imagination so far is it?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 5 2017, 9:54 PM 

All the talk I've seen is Finn will come straight back in to the team.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 5 2017, 9:56 PM 

I'd guess at:

Hales
Roy (last chance)
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Moeen
Rashid
Plunkett
Wood
Finn

JG
(Login _JG_)

June 5 2017, 10:38 PM 

Agreed, the tournament has been a damp squib so far with the majority of games being very one-sided, and with the only one that looked to be developing into a close finish rained off.

On the upside there is the possibility of Australia being eliminated without losing a game, which would be quite amusing.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

June 6 2017, 1:20 AM 

Latest weather forecast Cardiff will miss the brunt of the rain and even most of the showers. I'm fairly confident a full 50 over match will be played with minimal interruption, just like 2012 Twenty20 Finals Day when the forecast was for a complete write off.

It has come to my attention that 14 players in the tournament currently play or have represented Yorkshire CCC:

England: Root, Bairstow, Rashid, Plunkett, Willey
Australia: Finch, Maxwell, Head, Starc
South Africa: Miller, Morkel, Tahir
New Zealand: Williamson
India: Yuvraj

Technically with Peter Handscomb on standby, Yorkshire have a full team to field and one very much capable of winning the tournament!

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 6 2017, 7:26 AM 

Go on then what would be the strongest Yorkshire XI? I'd go with

Finch
Bairstow
Williamson
Root
Miller
Yuvraj
Rashid
Plunkett
Starc
Morkel
Tahir

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 6 2017, 4:53 PM 

I think this just serves to prove how canny our recruiting overseas players under Moxon and Dizzy has been.

Several of these joined us before they were international regulars such as Miller, Starc and perhaps Williamson. Our talent spotting and player development extends beyond the Academy. Admittedly a couple didn't last the pace or deliver the goods like Tahoe and Morkel but both were stop gap rather than longer term signings

(Login WhiteroseDave)

June 6 2017, 7:25 PM 

That's a pretty impressive 11! It would take some stopping

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk