<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ODI | England vs Bangladesh at the Oval (Match Thread)

June 1 2017 at 4:20 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Jun 1, 2017 - Group A at Kennington Oval, London

England from: EJG Morgan, MM Ali, JM Bairstow, JT Ball, SW Billings, JC Buttler†, AD Hales, LE Plunkett, AU Rashid, JE Root, JJ Roy, BA Stokes, DJ Willey, CR Woakes, MA Wood

Live Scorecard

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login matthefish2002)

Re: ODI | England vs Bangladesh at the Oval (Match Thread)

June 1 2017, 8:57 AM 

I am sorry that this game and many others in the Champions Trophy are not Day / Night games as always enjoy watching cricket on TV in the evenings.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Highlights

June 1 2017, 9:10 AM 

Highlights on BBC2 every night, just before midnight.

Ideal timing for some free to air cricket to bring in a new young audience!

Can't work out the time-zones but the live timings will fall right for some TV audiences in some part of the world.

(Login shandypants75)

June 1 2017, 10:12 AM 

Its 3pm in India...........

Tom
(Login LondonYorkie)

June 1 2017, 10:37 AM 

No surprise that a Strauss controlled squad has 3 of the 4 non playing members from Yorkshire. I'm all for our lads going on and playing for England but when they are consistently picked and not played, it just shows the anti - Yorkshire bias.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 1 2017, 10:57 AM 

Hmm. To be fair to Strauss (can't believe I have just said that), four Yorkshire players have featured pretty consistently in the ODI side in the last few months. Bairstow the only player to miss out. Not sure that the first time in months that this is not the case can be held up as being anti-Yorkshire.

What I think it does point to is that Morgan is tying himself in knots justifying selections. We can't drop Roy because of his past deeds - he has even pretty much now said that he will play in all of the games regardless of form. But Rashid - whose form inevitably fluctuates but delivers match winning or match defining contributions pretty frequently and over the last 12 months has been one of the best spinners in the world in the short form, can be taken out of the side at the drop of a hat. This doesn't disturb the equilibrium of the side at all and of course it wont affect Rashid's confidence. He might have made the right decision on Rashid, but hard to justify on his own terms

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

June 1 2017, 11:07 AM 

I dont think there's anything strange in chopping and changing bowlers in given circumstances yet keeping batsmen in and giving them more time. Quite common in a lot of cricket teams, there's nothing unique in morgan doing that.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 1 2017, 11:22 AM 

Yep. Extra seamer vs 2nd spinner is a completely different debate to the batsmen.

Personally i'd be selecting Rashid ahead of Ball everytime though.

(Login matthefish2002)

June 1 2017, 11:24 AM 

I do find it a bit frustrating that some Yorkshire players are not featuring especially when they now cant play in the Roses game at the weekend.
But I really don't believe that Morgan, Bayliss and Strauss sat down last night and picked a team with any thought of anti Yorkshire bias. Sure trying to win and enhance their reputations are far, far more important factor to them.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

June 1 2017, 11:30 AM 

Surprising that Rashid has been dropped. He's played 41 of England's last 44 ODIs apparently. England's plan has usually been 4 seamers and 2 spinners. He's had 60 wickets in that time, 2nd only to Rabada since the last world cup.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 1 2017, 11:50 AM 

No Adil? So the balance of the team can't be changed for the Champions' Trophy and established players can't be omitted, but they've decided to change the balance of the team and leave out an established player. I presume we'll be told this wasn't a U-turn but was already in the manifesto.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 1 2017, 11:59 AM 

"Anti-Yorkshire bias". For crying out loud, give me strength.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 1 2017, 12:17 PM 

Agreed - easier to leave out a bowler than a batsman - citing bowling conditions and pitch. But Morgan's arguments are in part about "keeping a winning team" - something he has chosen not to do today.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

June 1 2017, 12:25 PM 

Ridiculous team selection in leaving our Bairstow and Rashid, playing out of form opener, no front line spinner and two injury prone all rounders/seamer. They are in great danger of losing their first match through stupid team selection -
and captaincy.

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 1 2017, 12:48 PM 

Agreed Alibor, at present our atttack looks impotent and particularly considering our opponents (no disrespect).

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 1 2017, 1:23 PM 

MM`s views in todays "Press"

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire/15321536.Moxon_fears_England_are_missing_a_trick_with_Yorkshire_star_Bairstow/?ref=mac

Sums it up well re players not batting for long periods.

Morgan states today that Roy will play every game (I assume that means even if he gets single figure scores every match), yet Rashid has one bad game and gets the chop!!

I am all for backing your players at all times and not making "knee-jerk" reactions, but it only seems to be for the batsmen, and Roy has had very low scores in all 5 innings this season, plus a guaranteed place to possibly make 5 more low scores.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 1, 2017 3:25 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 1 2017, 2:07 PM 

Was looking much worse at one stage. Well bowled Plunkett.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 1 2017, 2:09 PM 

Nasser Hussain has just said, "Bairstow again. England have got all the players in the right positions." Inadvertent humour is often the best.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 1 2017, 2:53 PM 

I'm beginning to feel sorry for Roy himself now. A mess entirely of Morgan's own making.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

June 1 2017, 2:53 PM 

Roy's last six ODI innings are now 0,20,1,8,4,1.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk