<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds (Day 1)

June 2 2017, 10:40 PM 

Surrounded by Lankies - I used my vouchers to get two of them in, and how they suffered! - I don't remember when I last had such a good time. [Younger readers please understand that your seniors' opportunities for fun are tightly rationed.]

Brilliant Ben! He's getting all the luck and long may it continue. He's bowling so well, but he'll bowl just as well in the future, for no reward. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Alex Lees provided the one major worry, with an amazing innings in which he slogged like a tailender. I don't understand it. Batting was tricky, but never impossible, and he is such a good player he doesn't need to do that.

Lyth's class came oozing through, one gorgeous stroke after another, with just a modicum, a fair portion, of luck to go with it. For once.

Handscomb started like a million dollars and then, for some reason, became obsessed with the cut stroke, to which he finally perished, bringing in Gary Ballance, in awful light. But no harm done, apart from Handscomb's wicket, of course.

Just one more good day, please lads, and we own the bragging rights for another 12 months. Oh, Lanky, Lanky...

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 2 2017, 10:40 PM 

Yes, it was a bizarre innings by Lees. Brainless!! He left the pitch to stoney silence.

I don't know what he was trying to achieve.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds (day 1)

June 2 2017, 11:02 PM 

As Lees left the field, the coaching staff jumped to their feet as one and peered over the edge of the Dickie Bird balcony.
I could not see from my seat in the FST enclosure but wonder whether there was an exchange of words between Lees and spectators. At any rate Gale immediately left and did not reappear for some time. There then followed a loud bang from the Yorkshire dressing room as if something heavy had been thrown against a wall. I hope it was only a bat.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 2 2017, 11:25 PM 

I was in the North East upper. He doesn't know this but I think I was next to Idle Man! Had a decent view of Lees departing.

There was a definite exchange of words between Lees and a spectator. The spectator shout was something to the effect 'Lees, that was stupid..' the reply from Lees was 'come down hear and say that'. (Another shout was 'don't take any notice he's a Lancashire member).

I'd suggest Alex is not in the best place at the moment. His innings today was bizarre, I'm really not sure what he was trying to do. The 'inside out' slog which went over point and into no-mans land towards wide 3rd man, the ball after he'd missed a wild slog aiming towards the mid wicket east stand boundary, summed things up. What was he thinking.....

We bowled very well. We've got good strength in depth with these four, there was no relief for the batters. Overall it was to much for the Lanky batting lineup in conditions favouring the ball. Choosing to bat was just bizarre.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Jun 2, 2017 11:30 PM

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

June 2 2017, 11:32 PM 

Whatever happened, I hope when the dust has settled and Alex has calmed down, that he realises that the supporters' comments are well intended, although they may not have seemed that way at the time. It's part and parcel of playing for Yorkshire, you will get vocal criticism at times, just as you'll get fantastic support and congratulations at others.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

June 2 2017, 11:41 PM 

Whilst it's good to see Ben Coad continuing to take wickets, I feel he is getting hyped up a bit too much. Particularly by Dave Callaghan when talking of a possible England call up (either the full side or Lions). Most of Coad's wickets have come with the new cherry and under overcast skies, the acid test is how he fares under sunny blue skies and the pitch nothing zero assistance.

Key difference been the sides was Yorkshire enjoyed bowling in humid air, which got the ball to do all sorts whilst Lancashire barely got the ball to swing as the fresher air moved in. Young Mahmood looks a fantastic prospect with his pace causing Handscomb problems on a few occasions.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 3 2017, 8:27 AM 

DG is not the only one hyping up Coad. Dickie Bird, in the Cricinfo report, suggests he should be in the England team for the first test in July.

Leading wicket taker this season with 32 wickets so far this season, 1 more than Darren Stevens.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 3, 2017 8:30 AM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 3 2017, 9:40 AM 

Can we all get off the Coad for England bandwagon please.

He hasn't even played half a season of county cricket, he has had injury problems in the past and he has is at part got a settled run in the team and is doing well. He has not played for the Lions and I suspect half the England selectors and management will never have seen him play. Let him develop and progress for a bit longer.

It's not as if the seam cupboard is bare. With Woakes injury they talk about many options so let them push for the England call ups this summet

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 3 2017, 1:10 PM 

Good shout Pyrahtechnics. Mahmood looks a class above anything else Lancs have to offer.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk