<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

No excuses, we have to win the title this year!!

June 2 2017 at 3:16 PM
LUTyke  (Login Y4EV)

A lot of us including myself were very uncertain at the start of the season how we were going to play out and whilst it hasn't all completely clicked yet the number of players hitting top form is very encouraging. Ballance, Handscomb, Sidebottom, Coad, Brooks are top players and the rest of them ain't bad either. I think we need to take advantage, strike while the iron is hot, and win our 3rd County Championship in 4 seasons. Next season could be a lot more difficult with no Siddy and possibly not seeing much of Coad or Ballance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: No excuses, we have to win the title this year!!

June 3 2017, 11:14 PM 

Agree with this LUT. Good points about form and well said!

(Bit shocked the rest of you left this tempting thread title uncommented on!!)

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 4 2017, 10:03 AM 

Things might be a lot clearer by the end of June.

I don't think we have any god given right to win it but I think we are one of 3 counties, Middlesex and Surrey are the other two, who can win it.

By the end of June, if Hampshire keep doing strange things, I might have to make that 4 counties.

3 wins this month would go a long way to putting us in pole position.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 4 2017, 5:52 PM 

Agree Geoff, we will have a much clearer picture at the end of this month. We have 4 matches this month, so a good month could really get us in a great position.

By then we will have played the obvious front runners in Middlesex & Surrey, and most teams will have played 8 or more fixtures, so over 1/2 of the allotted 14.

Middlesex have not won yet, Surrey have won only once and they, along with us, were the bookies favourites. Hampshire were rank outsiders but now look certain to be in the top three at the months end, as they are on course for another win in their current match.

(Login leef1234)

June 4 2017, 7:11 PM 

Big game at Somerset next. Will it be a Taunton Bunsen?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 4 2017, 8:05 PM 

Do we need to pick Carver or do we stick to our seam bowling strength?

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 4 2017, 8:42 PM 

It's a tough one for Taunton. I'd stick to seam, but if you're going to give Carver a go, this would be the best time.

Wouldn't it be great if Trott can hold up Hampshire tomorrow until the rain comes. Two draws in the other matches would be an unexpected bonus.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Heresy.

June 4 2017, 9:31 PM 

I'd be tempted to get Carver in the team if we are convinced it is going to be a raging turner.

Might be a bit of heresy here but could he not come in for Bresnan!

Is his batting good enough, can we trust our top five to get the runs, or is that going too far!

Would like to play Coad, Sidebottom, Brooks and Rafiq too.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 4 2017, 10:32 PM 

It would be a very long tail with Hodd at 6, followed by 5 tail-enders.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

No excuses, we have to win the title this year!!

June 11 2017, 6:42 PM 

When posting this I was feeling hopeful that the likes of Leaning and Rafiq could make some useful contributions, hope that was not unfounded.

JG
(Login _JG_)

June 11 2017, 11:14 PM 

I think you've got one too many negatives there (that hope has indeed been unfounded...)

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk