<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

Re: Second XI Trophy.

June 8 2017, 7:28 PM 

As I was saying the other day, with Sidebottom, Brooks, Coad and Bresnan fit, we have some grounds for treating Plunkett and Willey as 2nd teamers. I can't quite see how Compton gets in to this game. He's played four list A games for Middlesex this season and two county championship matches in the last three weeks.
Research has just been published which, if I'm reading it right, suggests that even wolves in the wild appear to have more of a sense of fairness than Middlesex: http://www.independent.co.uk/News/science/dogs-wolves-unfairness-acceptance-human-owners-pets-behaviour-research-vienna-a7779076.html

(Login WhiteShamrock)

June 8 2017, 7:30 PM 

He may have been in the team, but Compton hasn't exactly been setting the world alight this season:

Runs Team Opposition Match Date
22, Middlesex v Somerset 2 Jun 2017
19, 18 Middlesex v Surrey 19 May 2017
- Middx 2nd XI v Glouc 2nd XI 15 May 2017
5 Middlesex v Essex 12 May 2017
11 Middlesex v Glamorgan 10 May 2017
37 Middlesex v Kent 7 May 2017
0 Middlesex v Surrey 5 May 2017
2 Middx 2nd XI v Sussx 2nd XI 2 May 2017
29 Middx 2nd XI v Essex 2nd XI 26 Apr 2017
51 Middx 2nd XI v Surr 2nd XI 25 Apr 2017

This message has been edited by WhiteShamrock on Jun 8, 2017 7:31 PM

(Login WhiteShamrock)

June 8 2017, 7:34 PM 

Middlesex II have been set 279 to win from 38 overs. They are 4/1 after 1 over.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 8 2017, 7:34 PM 

Harry Brook must get getting fairly close to a first team debut.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 8 2017, 7:38 PM 

But, assuming that there really are qualifying criteria of some kind, it's odd that Compton meets them. This match doesn't actually clash with any other, but surely it would have been unreasonable for either club to turn out their entire first team. If there isn't a rule against that, there ought to be.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 8 2017, 7:53 PM 

Well done Harry Brook on the day when his chance of a first team call up just got slimmer

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Second XI Trophy

June 8 2017, 7:57 PM 

Meanwhile no Yorkshire player is older than 23.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 8 2017, 7:58 PM 

With Voges injured, it is 100% certain Compton will be playing tomorrow for Middlesex first team. Surely there are some kind of rulings re eligibility, and if not there should be.
EDIT --
Compton is 43 off 25 balls.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 8, 2017 8:18 PM

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

June 8 2017, 8:24 PM 

Compton's not been playing regularly for Middlesex and he's out of nick, so he's playing 2nds.

In the 2nd XI trophy this season Lyth, Bairstow, Lees, Leaning, Plunkett, Willey, Hodd, Brooks and Rafiq have played for us this season as 1st XI capped players.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 8 2017, 8:31 PM 

The better the players are that the second XI face the better.

Winning the trophy would be very nice but getting to the finals, gaining the experience against strong opposition, and preparing to make the step up is the goal.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 8 2017, 8:48 PM 

"Well done Harry Brook on the day when his chance of a first team call up just got slimmer."

Is there any real evidence that that's the case? I can't remember a Yorkshire team that didn't seem to have been selected on merit in recent years. Once Bairstow, Root, Ballance, Lees and Leaning showed they were good enough, they went into the first team. The same has been true for Coad in the CC and Waite in the shorter game. When they haven't been the best players available, they've been omitted.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 8 2017, 9:30 PM 

We are the Champions. Game over!!

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Second Xi Trophy

June 8 2017, 9:32 PM 

I think Third Umpire was alluding to the signing of TKC when he suggested Harry Brook's chances of a first team opportunity had just diminished.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 8 2017, 9:43 PM 

The study Dewsburian refers to seems to seriously overestimate the IQ of man's greatest enemy. My contention has always been, in those cases where dogs refuse to leave their master even when there is clear evidence of bodily decomposition, it is not because of selfless devotion but more because they are very, very stupid.
They also go for me quite a lot in Roundhay Park.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 8 2017, 9:57 PM 

Yes, I realized the allusion was to the signing of Köhler-Cadmore, but I've seen no evidence that Willey, a "big" signing, has been preferred to Coad, so I can't imagine that K-C will get the nod over Brook if Brook is batting better at the time. You could say Willey has been preferred to Wainman, but that doesn't seem to have thwarted Wainman's development.
That is an excellent win over a team with the likes of Podmore and Higgins, who've had quite a bit of first-team cricket. We've been crying out for depth of reserves - especially to cope with having up to 5 players away with the England squad - and you'd have to say we've got it now. If all the batsmen were ever to be available, then Tattersall, Callis and Gibson would just about be competing for one place in the second XI

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 9 2017, 9:06 AM 

Yes my less than cryptic reference was linking Brooks ton to the same day as we signed another talented batsman thereby increasing the competition for a first team place.

By the law of averages his chances of a first team place have reduced as there is one more player now looking for the same chance!

But healthy to have the competition

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 9 2017, 9:52 AM 

We certainly need bigger squads and different kinds of players to take account of the shifting dynamic in cricket.

Players such as TKC and David Willey may well turn out to be peripheral in County Cricket and end up either sitting around in England squads or playing in the 2nds during large parts of the English season.

There are opportunities at other times of the year for these players to make a decent living on the T20 circuit.

Players such as Jordan, Morgan, Roy, Mills and others, although they belong to a county, are really pretty semi-detached for most of the year.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 9 2017, 9:52 AM 

Quite a bit has been made, from time to time, about how Brook was spotted by Martyn Moxon personally. He'll have his difficult times, as Root, Bairstow and Ballance have had, but I feel confident he's in the right place to develop as we'd wish.
All the talk here a few weeks ago was of how we'd be short of batting if Ballance was taken into the test side. I can't see how the signing of T K-C has suddenly given us the opposite problem. After all, the Yorkshire batsmen would have been competing with him if Worcs. hadn't intervened in the first place. And if all these Yorkshire youngsters blossom, then some will be taken by England and, failing that, we could always economize on an overseas signing.

(Login WhiteShamrock)

June 9 2017, 11:55 AM 

Well, Compton isn't playing for Middlesex First XI today - but I bet they wish he was! Currently, they're 38/3 V Lancs!

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 9 2017, 12:07 PM 

Wolves...?
Derek Dougan?
Steve Bull..?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk