<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Second XI Trophy.

June 11 2017, 10:08 AM 

Following the success of the 2nd team's win this year, thought it might be interesting to look back at the team on the last occasion this trophy was won. The team was as follows;
Root
Ballance
Lyth
Lee Hodgson
Pyrah
Guy
Rafiq
James Lee
Sanderson
Patterson
Hannon-Dalby.

Hodgson and Lee being the only players to not have some form of career in first class cricket. Hodgson is currently playing for Marske in the NYSD I think. I seem to think that Lee suffered from injuries and may have tried minor counties cricket?
Lee took the most wickets throughout the tournament and in a low scoring game at Scarborough was the top scorer in a run chase against Lancashire.
It will be interesting to see goes on to county and international cricket from the current team.

(Login HalfTracker)

Re: Second XI Trophy.

June 11 2017, 10:30 AM 

James is currently 1st Team captain at Bankfoot in the Bradford League. Just back to their side after having served a disciplinary ban at the start of the season. Previously having played for Cleckheaton CC

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 11 2017, 10:52 AM 

You were right about Lee playing minor counties. He had a season or two with Suffolk.
Someone wrote in to Cally during the Lancs match suggesting Richard Harden was Yorkshire's last domestic signing as a batsman before Köhler-Cadmore, but I seem to recall that Lee Hodgson was signed from Surrey. Of course, it's perhaps an open question whether he was a batsman or not. I remember being puzzled one day at Worcester about why he had suddenly taken up wicket-keeping, but that turned out to be Dan Hodgson, who top scored in a team with both Lees and Leaning in it.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 11 2017, 10:58 AM 

22guns -- What year was it?

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Second XI Trophy.

June 11 2017, 11:51 AM 

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Second XI Trophy

June 11 2017, 11:54 AM 

Lee Hodgson does indeed play for Marske and as a result of his achievements in the NYSD Premier League in 2016 he received a national award - League Cricket Conference National Cricketer of the Year. In 2016 he scored over 1500 league runs including 7 centuries and 1 double century.
He was born in this area and following a spell as an MCC Young Cricketer was engaged by Surrey before joining Yorkshire where, I think, he spent 3 years on the staff.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 11 2017, 11:55 AM 

Thanks 22guns.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 15 2017, 9:42 PM 

Further walk down memory lane. I went to the 1989 2nd team trophy final v Kent(The Bain Clarkson).

Our winning team;

Kellett, Byas, Blakey, Neil Hartley (cpt), Nicholson, Swallow, Grayson, Booth, Shaw, Fletcher and Anderson

Not a bad generation: Blakey played test cricket, Byas captained the first team to a championship title, Grayson and Swallow made a living from the game and Shaw, Fletcher and Kellett played a reasonable amount of first team cricket. Although in fairness Shaw and Fletcher had already played a fair bit of first team cricket before this second team final!

Some reasonable names in the Kent side including Paul Farbrace who kept and was bowled by Stuart Fletcher for 1

From memory, Neil Nicholson ended the game with the biggest 6 I've ever seen at Leeds, cleared the old Popular trees at the Kirkstall Lane end.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 16 2017, 1:49 PM 

Nice to hear mention of Neil Nicholson who learned his cricket at marske alongside Paul Jarvis and later Alan ramage. Although Nicholson moved to Bradford league for many years.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk