<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Howden73
(Login howden73)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds (Day 3)

June 4 2017, 2:23 PM 

The victory could hardly have been more gift-wrapped if Croft had added some pretty paper with ribbons.

Don't get too carried away, without Jarvis and Anderson, we'll probably be donating 24 points to Middlesex in the next match at seamer-friendly Southport.

This message has been edited by howden73 on Jun 4, 2017 2:35 PM

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 4 2017, 2:38 PM 

It was easy in the end. Well played all, especially Adam Lyth. Held his nerve so well for the century.
Lancs were reduced to using spinners to get the over rate up at the end. They look a poor side at the moment.Talented players not coming off consistently enough.
Coad looked to me to unleash a much quicker ball a couple of times today, which is a good sign for the future. Another great game for him.

Another highlight - red kite being harassed over ground by a crow.

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Jun 4, 2017 2:52 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 4 2017, 4:09 PM 

Apart from a couple of hat-tricks in the first two overs I don't think that could have gone much better.

I think the lads have earned an extra day off.

Congratulations to the whole team, extra chips for peanut.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 4 2017, 4:12 PM 

Meant to mention, it's the first time I've seen police toting submachine guns patrolling at a county cricket match, and I hope I don't see it again.
Reassuring? Not to me, no.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 4 2017, 4:15 PM 

I've just got home after watching the wonderful morning's play, and pie & chips in the Taps; I didn't bother with the last rites back at the ground.

Dream start, Sid getting Vilas, then Ben did for Chanderpaul and, effectively, that was that. Good to see Brezzy running in hard and getting some wickets. Jordan Clark swung the bat, we had a sloppy half hour with Bad Brooks bowling half-volleys and some poor fielding, which got the crowd going a bit, then we polished them off, put them out of their misery.

I (almost) felt sorry for Croft, the stick he was getting from his own supporters.

We travel down to Taunton with a bit of a cushion between us and the relegation places, so it's now easier to think positively and to eye the Championship without the distraction of fear. I might just be tempted to bring in Patto for Brooks, given the way he [Patterson] bowled there last season; alternatively, it might be necessary to bring in Carver.

Or just leave things as they are. Absolutely no problem with that.

The 2nd XI Trophy Final is on Thursday. I can't go because of Taunton, but I do urge followers to watch these youngsters at Headingley (I think) on Thursday. Day/night, if I understood the announcement.

(Login matthefish2002)

June 4 2017, 6:20 PM 

Really enjoyed todays play. Predicted a Yorkshire win at about 4pm so was even better then I thought.
When Chanderpaul went it was really all over just mopping up afterwards.

Thought all match the catching was superb from both sides.

I also saw the armed police today near the 2nd hand bookstall. So I doubt they had a problem with shoplifting today.
But it is a sad sign of the times to see them at a county cricket game.

(Login dpressed)

June 4 2017, 6:25 PM 

A wierd day.

The first half hour went brilliantly with Ryan getting Villas & Coad bowling a beautiful ball to dismiss Chanderpaul (with lyth taking a good catch). Then as has been said things went a bit wrong. Brooks wasn't on it (not a criticism, we all know it happens) but Ballance left him on too long, Croft & McLaren made hay & Yorks fielding went astray, Hodd gave a bye by not taking a high one correctly, no one backed up a Ryan throw in which went for 4 & there was another single given away. Thankfully Bressy was brought on to replace Brooks & he bowled well to get 3 wickets (although Clark looked unhappy to be given out). Yorks needed 60 to win starting just after 12:40.

We then entered a parallel universe. Lancs opened with Bailey & Mahmood. Forget the figures, both looked dangerous. But as I mentioned last night Lance bowling rate was -3 .. so after 2 overs Croft & Parry were brought on. The pair got through 10 overs in well under 30 minutes to get their rate level. Lyth & Lees helped by batting as though they were playing for a draw (or their averages) hitting the odd single rather than the boundaries we expected. Under the new rules Yorks could have asked for an extra 15 minutes at the 1:10 lunch if they thought they could win, but as there were still 25 runs to win we had a 40 minute lunch. Thankfully the predicted poor weather didn't arrive.

As has been mentioned the main event during lunch was a couple of policemen walking round the ground carrying guns. Alan, the gateman in front of the football stand, assured us he'd have stopped them walking behind the bowler's arm if we'd been playing when they walked round

After lunch Lyth & Lees continued against spin, not even speeding up when Hameed was brought on. Eventually Lees hit a 4 to win the match by 10 wickets.

So a good win for Yorks .... but we still have to ask why Croft didn't put us in on the first morning

This message has been edited by dpressed on Jun 4, 2017 6:28 PM

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

A big win...

June 4 2017, 6:30 PM 

What's better than a Yorkshire win over Lancashire in the County Championship? With the possible exception of an England win in an Ashes Test...I can't think of much I enjoy more as a sports fan.

And if our batting can continue to put up competitive scores, this wonderful attack (the best since the 60's IMHO), might just take the Tykes to a third County Championship title in four years. (Provided, of course, that Mr. Coad and Mr Ballance are not pinched by the ECB.)

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 4 2017, 6:44 PM 

Dwight --- Why are we letting them tidy up their over rate.

They are allowed to bowl anyone they want!! How could we stop them??

Makes sense as they were going to lose anyway, to avoid the dropping of three points.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 4 2017, 6:52 PM 

You've missed my point Stu.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 4 2017, 6:59 PM 

Sorry Dwight. Call me Mr Thicky, but what was the point??

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 4, 2017 7:02 PM

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 4 2017, 7:05 PM 

It's good to hear that even the very occasional bowlers were treated in appropriate Roses-match style - "business strokes" only. Nice too to to hear that that legendary figure Alan the Gateman is still thriving: his son was once a regular contributor to the forum.
Thanks to everyone for their informative reports. I'm afraid I was stuck with the radio coverage, which wasn't particularly at its best. Kevin Howells thought Worcestershire deserved sympathy for Yorkshire's "poaching" of Köhler-Cadmore (the opposite of the truth) and Dave Townsend was adamant that Jason Roy should continue to open with Hales because they're such a "successful partnership" (they're not). Does anyone have one of those foam bricks you used to be able to buy to throw at the telly?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

June 4 2017, 7:32 PM 

Not a big deal but my point was we treated them with too much respect.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

June 4 2017, 8:20 PM 

A few more runs in the first innings would have been nice (not least from Bres) and Lancashire look ordinary, but couldn't have gone much better. Great bowling display (including further evidence that Coad is the real deal) and a return to form from Lyth. Biggest cloud on the horizon is the prospect of Root coming in for Ballance come the start of July.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 4 2017, 8:38 PM 

Agree it was very good to see a comprehensive Roses win, and in the sunshine too. We needed those 16 points.

Teams shook hands warmly at the end, but I couldn't help wondering if Ballance gave Croft a specially heartfelt thanks. You have to have a thick skin to be a county cricket captain, but Croft will need an extra layer tonight.

And I'd back Alan against a couple of armed coppers any day.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 4 2017, 9:11 PM 

Probably the same two armed policemen we had on Scarborough beach last week.

Think I partially understand the reasoning for their showing their faces at unlikely events. I wish it wasn't necessary.

I've got a nasty picture in my mind of Alan and Ray sitting there with a sub-machine gun each, daring anybody to try get through behind the bowlers arm.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 4 2017, 9:25 PM 

This is rather sad. I was talking to Ray at the South Africa A game where he confirmed the Surrey (day/night) game will be their final championship match as 'rope' men at Leeds due to the redevelopment of the football stand.

I assume they'll be needed for the t20 and Aug test match.

Maybe we should have cakes or something?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 4 2017, 9:33 PM 

Think they have a stay of execution now until the end of the season.

They are selling tickets for the football stand for the Test match and T20's now.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 4 2017, 9:53 PM 

I think the stay of execution is a partial one and ends with the test match. Ray was clear than their services will not be needed for the 2 championship matches in Sept unless things have changed this week.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 4 2017, 10:12 PM 

I hope the club mark their service with a little presentation during their final game.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk