<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds (Day 3)

June 4 2017, 10:46 PM 

Free membership would be a nice gesture. Alan's son Eddie was certainly present Saturday.

Doing my photos, I've just noticed that Bresnan was not wearing the elastic arm support that has been an ever-present for the last season or two. I thought he ran in with real purpose today, and hit the pitch harder than he has for some time.

Anyone else get that impression?

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

June 5 2017, 7:19 AM 

Agree regarding Bresnan. Though his place in the team is automatic as the key all-rounder, I thought he was beginning to look like the sort of fourth seamer most counties have: almost there as a last resort or to give others a rest. For the last few seasons we have had a genuine attack of four, any one of whom could put in a match winning performance. He looked back to that yesterday. Now all he needs is a few more runs.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 8:57 AM 

A good win in the end - but Saturday was one of the most uninspiring days of County Cricket that i've ever had to sit through......

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 5 2017, 9:19 AM 

I see what you mean, Steve, sort of...but there have been many days worse than that, including the whole game at Old Trafford.

The highlight of the Saturday would have been Adam Lyth's patient struggle against form and pitch, as well as against Lancashire; but there were also enlivening cameos from Hodd, Rafiq and Brooks, plus a 10th wicket partnership, which always entertains (when it's your side).

You also had a first chance to see a very promising fast bowler on the Lancashire side and, when Lancashire batted, perhaps a last chance to see one of the world's great batsmen - and I will justify that with stats, but surely I don't have to? Certainly there was a lack of variety, with only one over of spin, and the absence of top players (Root, Bairstow, Rashid, Anderson, Livingstone) obviously lowered the standard and, therefore, our capacity to enjoy.

All in all, the day produced 321 runs for 12 wickets, and it was warm and pleasant, with a decent crowd in attendance. I didn't hear any slow handclapping, though there was the occasional ironic cheer, such as when Lyth moved from 96 to 97.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

June 5 2017, 9:37 AM 

Admittedly I didn't see the bulk of Adam's innings but I've seen him look in better form earlier in the season. You got the sense that he woke up and decided enough was enough. I have the talent to score 100 even if not on top form and I'm going to do it! That made the innings more special for me.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 5 2017, 10:28 AM 

The fact no one else got a half century highlights the importance of the knock but I suspect the innings may have wider reaching consequences as it could open up the floodgates for the rest of the season now Adam has some runs under his belt. With Leanings ton the previous game and Brooks finally getting a ton (!) we have players in form and fit again bowlers with others champing at the bit to get back in the team.

I read the cricinfo comments about lancs having Anderson and Jarvis injured and Livingston with the Lions I presume. Meanwhile we have 5 away with England......

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

June 5 2017, 10:53 AM 

To be fair TU, the Cricinfo report does refer to Yorkshire's absentees.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 5 2017, 11:45 AM 

It was more the posted comments at the bottom although I see others have responded to them to point out the ignorance of others re where our players learnt their cricket etc

Tyke 1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 5 2017, 12:06 PM 

The cricket on Saturday wasn't as bad as all that. Perhaps it was a bit attritional but I'll take away a few good memories.

Adam Lyth's innings was as good as any I've seen from him for a while, in challenging conditions. It put me in mind of an innings he played three or four years ago at Hove. Up to that point I had put him in the category of 'flat track bully'. He scored an excellent but drab 80 against a miserly and aggressive attack. Saturday's innings was equally admirable.

I was also very impressed with Lancashire''s Mahmood, who looks capable of developing into an international fast bowler. He has a yard and a half of pace on Ben Coad. (By the way, I think Coad is terrific and will prove to be a very valuable county cricketer for Yorkshire. Patto with extra knobs on?)

Best of all, was the quality of the Lancashire catching in the slip cordon. There were a number of catches taken very low down and that taken by McLaren to dismiss Leaning (he looked OK to me, by the way) which was one of the very finest.

I'm quite optimistic at the moment. I won't be able to watch any more cricket until Lords in about three weeks. I'm hoping by then that Middlesex might have persuaded the groundsmen that a few lively tracks will be their only hope of retaining the Championship. Currently, Middlesex are the yardstick by which we can judge the quality of Gary Ballance's team. If anyone other than Yorkshire or Middlesex win the title, I'll be surprised.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 1:58 PM 

You're all quite correct and i didn't mean to seem quite so negative.
I love watching Adam bat and while i appreciate the obstinacy and importance of his innings i cant honestly say that i enjoyed it.
It was the bowling that i found a bit dull - at one point both sides were rotating their seamers after spells of six over each.
It just felt very formulaic - but perhaps it was more to do with me that the cricket on offer.

The Upper Stand was very full and i was surrounded by really irritating people which put me in a bad mood - why do people insist on lengthy mobile phone conversations. I had to seek safety in the Spanish Nick Stand after lunch.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

June 5 2017, 2:15 PM 

Weather update - would probably have been no play today so far after heavy rain in Leeds had Lancs not so kindly conceded early.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

June 5 2017, 2:24 PM 

I thought mobile conversation was banned.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 3:15 PM 

Steve, I wondered why you were sat three or four rows in front of me, as you do normally sit in the NE upper.

They annoy me as well, the mobile phone freaks. They always seem to shout down the phone and seem to get great pleasure from annoying anyone nearby.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 3:15 PM 

It may be banned but people still do it..

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship - Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds (day 3)

June 5 2017, 4:43 PM 

Mobile 'phone users used to be shouted down by other spectators but I think they have given up the unequal struggle.
I wonder whether invoking the aid of a steward might help. They do seem, however, to be better at preventing 6 year olds from seeking autographs.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

June 5 2017, 5:03 PM 

Great day. Left at lunch, confident that we could get 20 runs without losing ten wickets, so as to get to Cas to see another excellent Roses victory.
Just had to play Lou Reed on the way home.
And I think any phone that rings in the ground should be immediately placed under the heavy roller- I'll happily push.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 5:06 PM 

...I'm glad i spent it with you...

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 5:11 PM 

I was wondering why you left early Nick. I was convinced it would not finish in time to get to Cas in time, so had insufficient cash on me, or I would have gone to Cas as well. I managed it last time when we played Notts at TB and got to Cas in time to see a Roses victory against Wigan, but not this time.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

We need more room.

June 5 2017, 8:15 PM 

On Saturday the NE upper and lower looked uncomfortably full for a County match.

The wicket was over that side of the ground I know and though not many people would have used it some of the White Rose stand should have been open to allow people to spread out a bit. I personally think the section next to the Truman should be open for all matches.

I was in the Truman which was less full and didn't notice too much mobile phone action. What I did have though was a father and son duo. who obviously don't meet up very often, sat behind me. No criticism of them, but they were talking just because they weren't comfortable with silence and it soon became painful to listen to.

We need to be allowed more room, whether it be to have a private conversation, have a bit of a think, move away from some know it all, or spread your fat belly out in the sunshine.

I said 'your' there on purpose, I'm not admitting to a fat belly!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 5 2017, 8:28 PM 

I used to quite like the bloke from the North East who appropriately sat in the North East Upper and every half hour would read the county scores out from his mobile as if on radio 5 live doing the half hourly sports update.

But now everyone has access on their phones to cricinfo so after a while he is telling you what you already know. Apologies if it's one of you...

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk