<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds (Day 3)

June 5 2017, 9:18 PM 

In the upper deck of the football stand, there's a chap who writes the lunch and tea score on a piece of A4, held on a clipboard and circulates it. Now that's the real essence of championship cricket. I love it.

The NE upper on Friday was very full. With the upper deck of the football stand closed due to the evening rugby league most migrated to the other side!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 6 2017, 6:23 AM 

One guy I've not seen this season, to date, is the eccentric gentleman who uses a bit of cardboard to protect his nose from the burning Yorkshire sun, wears odd socks, and carries his laptop in a cardboard box. He is a mine of statistical information.

It was good to see (and hear) Cheeseman at Weetwood on Thursday, and at Headingley for the Roses.

(Login dpressed)

June 6 2017, 7:57 AM 

We were sat behind said bloke at Old Trafford (under the point). He was wearing something with the Durham brand on it (sorry but I've slept since so can't remember which article of clothing it was, but it could have been his sun hat)

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 6 2017, 8:50 AM 

"One guy I've not seen this season, to date, is the eccentric gentleman who uses a bit of cardboard to protect his nose from the burning Yorkshire sun, wears odd socks, and carries his laptop in a cardboard box."

Could you be a bit more specific, Dave? I'm not sure I know who you mean.

Tyke 1950
(Login Tyke1950)

June 6 2017, 9:35 AM 

....and on the subject of eccentrics, endearing or otherwise, there is the elderly, stocky gentleman with a ponytail, grimy shorts and varicose veins. His first love,I suspect, is Middlesex. He often wears items of clothing that were once pink and he sometimes carries a backpack with a Seaxe logo on it.
He can most often be spotted in or around the East Stand (Cheeseman style) and is a Scarborough regular.
I have a suspicion that once upon a time, he was a contributor to this forum (somewhat controversial) answering to the name of Cleasby.

I agree about opening the section of the West Stand nearest the Trueman enclosure. Like many others, I enjoy moments of solitude at the cricket. One of the advantages of a large ground is the opportunity to put your bag, binoculars, newspaper etc. on an adjoining seat. On Saturday, this became an anti social act. There will doubtless be other occasions this season when the same will apply.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

June 6 2017, 9:50 AM 

Cheeeseman is barely recognizable these days - hes had quite a makeover..
The cardboard noseman is a cracker. We dont have nearly enough genuine eccentrics these days.
I wonder if Tractor will make an appearance at Taunton this weekend?

I would like a whole stand to myself but i appreciate that this may be unreasonable.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship - Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds (day 3)

June 6 2017, 12:39 PM 

Sorry to sound a little po-faced, but "Cheeseman" is aware of the appellation and finds it offensive. His proper name is John. I believe that much of his apparent eccentricity derives from a form of Asperger's Syndrome.
As many will know he has a phenomenal memory (especially for bus timetables), very acute hearing and appears to know the dates and venues of Yorkshire matches at all levels before anyone else.
That being said, he sat behind me in the Trueman Enclosure recently. He spent the whole time unwrapping packet after packet of cheese sandwiches (housed in brown bread 'doorsteps').

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 6 2017, 1:40 PM 

To paraphrase Derek Jamieson 'Do they mean me....?' (1980s TV reference for younger readers).

On a serious note, the correlation between cricket watching and a place on the autistic spectrum must be strong given the numerical nature of the game, individual performances, the scope for statistical analysis and the time involved.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

Yorkshire vs Lancashire (Day 4)

June 6 2017, 1:59 PM 

I have Asperger Syndrome aswell. Might explain my interest in 4-day cricket despite being significantly younger than most of it's audience (age 23),

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk