<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sutcliffe gates

June 4 2017 at 10:03 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

I spent a bit of time waiting outside the ground yesterday and for the first time in a long time I took a good look at the Sutcliffe gates.

I don't suppose gates can be miserable but they certainly look pretty miserable where they are.

If there's a chance I hope they can be moved and used as gates again should a pair be needed during the redevelopment.

If not perhaps some thought could be given to showing them in a better way.

The wooden fence behind and weeds make it quite a scruffy corner of the stadium facade.

I'll bring some tools and a bag and at least deal with the weeds next time I'm in Leeds.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: Sutcliffe gates

June 4 2017, 11:22 PM 

Completely right, Geoff.
The present location of the Sutcliffe gates and their pitiful state shows disrespect to a very great Yorkshire cricketer.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 5 2017, 11:06 AM 

"... disrespect to a very great Yorkshire cricketer".

And to the man who sold me my first cricket bat - and "box"! So I owe him years of enjoyment, a little bit of pain and the occasional avoidance of some big bits of pain.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 5 2017, 11:24 AM 

I would like to think that, when and if, Headingley is ever complete, we will name all its features after famous players....though we might finish up having to name individual blades of grass.

Kensington Oval has its Sobers Pavilion, the Three Ws Stand, the Hall & Griffith Stand and the Tony Cozier Media Centre. I think there's a Malcolm Marshall End. We have more great men to commemorate even than Barbados. I think we should stuff our history down the throat of every visitor.

By contrast, the Ageas Bowl has a Shane Warne Stand, which says just about everything you need to know about Hampshire. I looked in vain for the Mark Nicholas Urinals. John Arlott should be honoured by them, though, even if they've never had a really great homegrown player.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

June 5 2017, 11:29 AM 

Mine too, Dewsburian, though I wasn't there - a present from my grandfather. No box however, a little early in my career I think, though perhaps I was a late developer! Instead I got a copy of 'How to become a first-class batsman' signed with a personal dedication from the author. Far too optimistic in my case, but still a prized possession. I don't suppose you can say the same for your box?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 5 2017, 11:47 AM 

Perhaps the Gates should be across the road at the entrance to All Rounder in view of Herbert's post playing career with selling bats and boxes

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 5 2017, 5:54 PM 

The first century I ever scored (in a match at school, played over two separate afternoons) came after reading "How to become a first-class batsman". I rediscovered it in the attic in my early forties and read it again - shortly before the last century I ever scored.
What I find astonishing to contemplate, though I'm sure it's true, is that, at the time of buying the bat, I had no real idea of the significance of Herbert Sutcliffe in cricketing history. He just seemed like a very dapper, but rather shrunken old man from an age I could barely conceive of. I knew of him as a "Yorkshire great", but I'd also had Wilfred Rhodes pointed out to me at Scarborough and, to be perfectly honest, either of them might as well have been George III or Isambard Kingdom Brunel for all the affinity I felt with them. I remember Sutcliffe asking me to pick the bat up and see what I thought of the balance of it. I must have been around eleven at the time and hadn't really a clue what he meant. As I recall, I think he did his best to explain - and he saved me from buying a flashier but less appropriate chunk of willow.
Anyway, as the proud owner of several trowels and a hand fork - not to mention a Dutch onion hoe - I'll happily join the weeding party. Let me know when it's happening.

P.S. The box died - it cracked beyond repair - in one of my early appearances for the school. A Batley Grammar School bowler, who I think was called Boardman, did the damage. I was only about 14 and shouldn't really have been opening, but the older boys knew something I didn't.

This message has been edited by Dewsburian on Jun 5, 2017 5:58 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 5 2017, 8:22 PM 

A good friend bought me the first edition of the book 1949 for a Christmas present a few years back and I have just located it on the bookshelf. A bit battered and worn but a valuable item all the same, although sadly not autographed!

(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 5 2017, 9:00 PM 

Put me down for the weeding party.

Does anyone why they were moved from the St Michael's Lane entrance?

(Login BrickyardBoy)

June 6 2017, 3:07 PM 

sid-don

"Does anyone why they were moved from the St Michael's Lane entrance?"

I do not know the answer to your question, but I can contribute two bits of information related to it.

When development of the St Michael's Lane area commenced the gates were put into storage. For quite some time after that there was some ambiguity as to where they had been stored. After the construction of the Carnegie Pavilion they were relocated in their current position (which I have always found to be "under-whelming").

I presume that they were not put back on St Michael's Lane as that part of the stadium is not owned by YCCC, but rather by Mr Caddick/Leeds Rugby etc (whatever they are presently known as).

Old Feller
(Login Old_Feller2)

June 6 2017, 3:10 PM 

The Aegeas Bowl does also have the Ingleby MacKenzie stand.
It should also have a Derek Shackleton stand but don't know that it does.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk