<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

the demise of Bretts??

June 6 2017 at 1:39 PM
davedee  (Login davydav)

Me and my good friend (Saltburn Senior) have been coming to headingley for many years, we reside in The Lodge nowadays, when we come we always seek out Bretts for our supper after play, and I must say for the past number of years without exception they have been superb,and as we come from over on the east coast we do know a bit or two about our fish, so come Saturday after play we headed out to Ye Olde Oak beer garden for a couple of beers before a fish supper, when we got to Bretts we discovered that it was under new management, and the staff had changed , but we had to have our fix , we bought our usual and took them back to The Lodge to be washed down with a nice chardonay, well to say they were awful was an understatement , they were not good, we can not remember the last time we had poor fish from Bretts, nevertheless we will not make a final judgement , and we will give them another chance. We love watching Yorkshire at Headingley, love stopping at The Lodge, love going to the Oak beer garden, but I fear Bretts may become history, I do hope not

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: the demise of Bretts??

June 6 2017, 1:43 PM 

As an alternative I'd recommend the St Michael's Lane fishery. Actually you probably walk past this on route from The Lodge to the Oak.

davedee
(Login davydav)

June 6 2017, 1:46 PM 

when Bretts have been closed Sid we have used them , but invariably after play they are closed

This message has been edited by davydav on Jun 6, 2017 1:47 PM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 6 2017, 1:59 PM 

We ate at Brett's, five of us, on day 1 of the Roses Match, but in the restaurant, and we had reserved ahead. Changed menu, unchanged very slow service, unchanged brilliant quality. Beautiful fish, perfect chips.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 6 2017, 2:29 PM 

Not been for a while but on last visit the proprietor was impressed that I recognised a picture he had of Arlott on the wall and he gave me a tour of other memorabilia with anecdotes to match. Keen motorcycling fan too from memory.

Shame if the quality has declined but so too has Brian's when it was sold to a franchise.

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Jun 6, 2017 2:37 PM

(Login ExiledinNotts)

June 6 2017, 3:30 PM 

We also stayed at the Lodge on Saturday night & we also had a meal inside at Brett's & once again we were delighted with our meal & bottle of Sauvignon. We stay at the Lodge on a regular basis & supper at Brett's is always something we look forward & thus far never disappointed.

remit 1
(Login remit1)

Jack Brett

June 6 2017, 4:43 PM 

…’Keen motorcycling fan too from memory’ - because the shop belonged to the family of the renowned motor-cyclist, Jack Brett…

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 6 2017, 7:18 PM 

You took them back to the lodge!

Don't you know that even the best fish and chips degrade at an alarming rate as they cool down. Try them open next time and polish them off on the way back.

Please discard of your chip papers or box responsibly!

davedee
(Login davydav)

June 7 2017, 9:59 AM 

very encouraging to hear the positive news about your meals, hopefully all is not lost,

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

June 7 2017, 10:15 AM 

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk