<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Re: So I guess it's a relegation scrap now then

June 10 2017, 4:54 PM 

The spectre of relegation is rarely "daft" in an eight-team league, where 25% of the teams get demoted each season, playing a short 14-match schedule and taking into account the vagaries of British weather and the fact that England has first choice on your best players. It's called statistics, chance and probability.

As I've said several times in the past, our current team is in my opinion Yorkshire's best since the 1960's. However, the team we are forced to put out in most Championship matches is not our best side since the 1960's, given the disproportionate number of high quality players who are held back from playing for Yorkshire due to ECB decisions.

And certainly I don't think quoting the so-called oddsmakers is probative evidence in this argument.

54 off 24
(Login 54off24)

June 10 2017, 5:24 PM 

Hopefully Betfair adverts won't suddenly start appearing as we access the forum !

(Login dpressed)

June 10 2017, 5:41 PM 

I'm one of the pessimists & whilst I don't expect us to get relegated I do believe in looking down until we've won 3 or 4 matches.

My reason is recent history. We had a mostly good 2010 but ran out of steam against relegated Kent ending up 2nd. The batting collapse in the 2nd innings was a foretaste of 2011 where we'd play well for most of a match, only to collapse again getting relegated. The main worry in 2012 was the weather as the team were better than most (well apart from Kent who should have whpped us at Headingley). Since then we've been 2nd (2013), 1st (2014/5) & 3rd (last season). But as member's have already said our selection policy is decided by Team England & injuries.

The above is for Championship only. When it comes to Limited Overs knock out matches I've given up. I've lost count of the number I've seen us lose. So I won't be attending on Tuesday, travelling Worcester if we win or even going to Lords if we get there.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 12 2017, 6:27 PM 

I think we can leave this thread for another year.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk