Just going off the negativity on here.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Re: So I guess it's a relegation scrap now then

June 9 2017, 3:13 PM 

Don't confuse negativity with a reasonable reaction to a very poor position.

In an abridged film-of-the-book 14-match season where 25% of the teams get relegated, one or two poor performances, inconvenient England call-ups and a run of bad weather puts almost any team in the relegation zone. If we continue to flounder in this match and don't get any batting bonus points we are staring at a 3-point loss - and yes, we'd be closer to the relegation zone than the top.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jun 9, 2017 3:14 PM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 9 2017, 3:23 PM 

Agreed, LUTyke we're 3 points from 2nd place in the table.............thankfully the players seem to have more resolve than some on here!

Alex
Owner

June 9 2017, 3:43 PM 

That's a classic red herring, East Coast. The comments on here have little to do with the resolve of the posters, and everything to do with the state of the game.

As I have often said, the WRF is NOT a fan site per se, it is a Yorkshire cricket "discussion forum," where all reasonable opinions are welcome...positive, negative and all points in between - and where those who post here should not subjected to derision or wind-ups.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jun 9, 2017 3:52 PM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

June 9 2017, 4:08 PM 

"this game has now gone. 3 days of rain and we may get a draw."

This is a quote from the thread in the on going game. To say that when we were barely half way through the 1st innings of a 4 innings game has a lot to do with resolve/fight in my opinion. If the players had that attitude we'd never win a game.

In fact, saying that calls into question the professionalism and ability of the 11 currently, proudly, wearing the White Rose.

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Jun 9, 2017 4:12 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 9 2017, 4:19 PM 

That is my opinion, and I hope I am proved wrong. It is in no way a reflection on the ability or professionalism of the team. We are entitled to express opinions on this forum and we were in a dire position, or did you personally think we were doing fine at 95-6?

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jun 9, 2017 4:31 PM

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

June 9 2017, 4:21 PM 

I don't think it's a question of criticism of the players ECT and their professionalism more people's outlook on the game. I think it's quite pessimistic outlook on here by and large on the forum. That's not a criticism of any poster, just an observation over the few years of the postings on here and the general outlook.

Slex
Owner

We don't post here for fun!

June 9 2017, 5:03 PM 

I've been involved with WRF (as a poster, moderator and owner since 2003) for nearly 19 years. And quite honestly I have never detected an overtly negative tone. Just reasonable comments around the state of the game. We love our cricket and take our team's fortunes very seriously while requiring the highest standards.

Remember too that Yorkshireman and Yorkshire women (too a lesser extent. LOL!) tend to be skeptical, honest, straight-talking, blunt, critical and very opinionated by nature - and we take our hobbies and pastimes very seriously. So in many ways the attitudes here simply mimic the basic Yorkshire personality.

As Wilfred Rhodes may have said about Yorkshire cricket: "We don't play it for fun." Perhaps to some extent, we "don't post here for fun."

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

June 9 2017, 8:04 PM 

Like i said it's not a criticism, just something I've noticed. Of course others see things differently.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

June 9 2017, 8:13 PM 

I would agree that the overall tone can be negative, with some very knee jerk reactions to a bad session or a defeat, (or an England call up!). Sometimes you'd be hard pressed to remember what a great side we've had over the past five years or so. I'm too young to remember the last golden era so I appreciate the team we have now even more, having watched a lot of garbage in the 90's!

Reg
(Login Reg123)

June 9 2017, 9:15 PM 

As more of a reader than a poster, I do see the site as largely negative in outlook. Calling for the heads of particular players, often for quite random reasons, is quite regular. I do take issue with the underlying suggestion that a dig at the negativity isn't valid is borderline offensive (but it comes from a mod!). The tone really doesn't sit right for me, sorry.

As it stands, day one at Taunton played out even...

This message has been edited by Reg123 on Jun 9, 2017 9:18 PM

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

June 9 2017, 9:32 PM 

I like it Alex, "We don't post here for fun"!

Could be a strapline for the Forum.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 9 2017, 10:20 PM 

When following from afar I think there's a tendency to read the numbers and not the match. This, together with the desperation we all feel in wanting the team to do well, can lead to posts which read more negatively than I suspect is the intention of the poster.

My main concern is when posters show no empathy with the players. This current team never give less than everything, rarely have consecutive bad days (or sessions) and are an absolute credit to themselves, the game and all that Yorkshire County Cricket Club stands for.

These are the good times, enjoy.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

June 10 2017, 5:56 AM 

"Remember too that Yorkshireman and Yorkshire women (too a lesser extent. LOL!) tend to be skeptical, honest, straight-talking, blunt, critical and very opinionated by nature - and we take our hobbies and pastimes very seriously."

Hobbies and pastimes?

Come on Alex, this is a Yorkshire cricket forum isn't it?

Howden73
(Login howden73)

June 10 2017, 10:33 AM 

Count yourselves lucky....Yorkshire quite often show spirit and fight back strongly from parlous-looking positions.

In the last couple of years, Lancashire are the opposite and are all too quick to capitulate (surrender) when the going gets tough - the captain Croft is a particularly poor leader and tends to hide and blame others (like last week and the toss debacle) when he makes mistakes. I am surprised he retained his place against Middlesex.

In the final game of last season, Lancs showed very little fight in a relegation cruncher against Warwicks - only Hampshire's surprise defeat against Durham (then Durham's unlucky demotion) saving the Red Rose bacon.

Also, with a tiny bit of resolve from the batsmen in both last year's Roses match and this year's, draws would likely have been achieved with the help of the weather. But spineless batting meant that forecast bad weather came too late to save us.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 10 2017, 2:23 PM 

"I would agree that the overall tone can be negative, with some very knee jerk reactions to a bad session or a defeat, (or an England call up!). Sometimes you'd be hard pressed to remember what a great side we've had over the past five years or so. I'm too young to remember the last golden era so I appreciate the team we have now even more, having watched a lot of garbage in the 90's!"

I couldn't agree more. If you can't find something to enjoy in the present Yorkshire side - and Yorkshire's England players - then you must be extraordinarily demanding. Perhaps the era of Hirst and Rhodes would have suited you. Or the inter-war years with Sutcliffe, Leyland, Hutton, Verity and Bowes.

Or maybe the problem is one of attitude. Personally, I get more pleasure from being a cricket-lover than from being a "fan", though perhaps I slide into the latter category from time to time. "Fan", for me, is synonymous with the needy and greedy. I think it's Marsker who often comments that the opposition are allowed to play well sometimes.

Having said that, I haven't really found a way to stop my enjoyment being impaired occasionally by ECB decisions!

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

June 10 2017, 2:38 PM 

Yes, this is one of the great eras, and in some ways the best. The players get on well together and enjoy each other's successes. The great sides of the sixties and earlier had some fairly clear tensions within them

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

June 10 2017, 3:39 PM 

Relegation talk is just plain daft.

Like talking about chelsea getting relegated after one or 2 defeats.

We are the bookies favourite to win all three tournaments this season and with good justification!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

June 10 2017, 4:05 PM 

We may be the bookies favourites, but they don't take into account England absentees in their calculations. We could have 7 of our normal first team missing next Tuesday V Surrey, so how can the bookies make us favourites.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

June 10 2017, 4:25 PM 

of course absentees are taken into account! most of our second team could easily play regularly in the first division for any county.

Bookies odds are heavily influenced by money being placed...for us to be favourites it means more fans are backing us despite the absentees, weather, possibility of earthquakes and any other scenario you care to mention.

Of course, in a field of 14, favourites will lose more than win, but it still makes us the most likely winner

current championship odds

yorks 5/2
surrey 7/2
middx 7/2
hants 4/1
bar 12/1

message to all those saying we have no chance

give me 5/1 and i will bet £100......anyone? don't think so!

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Jun 10, 2017 4:32 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk