<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Is there any hope of Lyth, Lees and Leaning returning to their 2014 level?

June 9 2017 at 8:10 PM
LUTyke  (Login Y4EV)

You hope their getting their act together when Leaning and Lyth both score centuries in recent matches and Lees has a couple of 50s, but when the next game comes they're all out cheaply and batting collapses and relying on Bairstow/Ballance (whoever isn't with England) and the bowlers to save our skins. I can see this being what costs us the championship if something doesn't happen with regards to it. I know Lees and Leaning are still young, but after 2 years of underperformance now, is it time to accept they are average (maybe decent) players who have an innings or 2 in them?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Is there any hope of Lyth, Lees and Leaning returning to their 2014 level?

June 9 2017, 9:04 PM 

Lyth and Lees both passed 1000 runs last season, scoring seven centuries between them. They both averaged 40+. You have point re Leaning though, who is now under huge pressure from Kohler-Cadmore.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

June 9 2017, 10:29 PM 

I'd also argue Leaning is, or should considered to be, under pressure from Rhodes. I still think Rhodes deserves a run of say 4 games batting at 5.

Pressure will come,but not yet,from Harry Brook - its when, and not if, he'll makes the 1st team.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

June 10 2017, 9:48 AM 

Agree with Seadog on Lyth and Lees. Lees maybe hasn't developed how we hoped after his start (Remember when he battered Derbyshire?).

However, both are and will be big players for us going forward. Of the two, Lees is more flakey. I have often wondered if he needs a bit of protection, moving down to bat at 3, which may happen if Brook continues his good form.

I agree Leaning seems a bigger concern but he has the talent I feel is worth persevering with.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 10 2017, 11:44 AM 

Those who expect every player who comes through into the Yorkshire team to be of the quality of Root and Bairstow are likely to be disappointed. Those two players are ranked in the world's top 12 test batsmen. How many others have we produced of that quality in the last 70 years? Boycott, Vaughan and no one else I can think of.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

June 10 2017, 12:39 PM 

Yes even in the late 70s I thought we had a golden era with Athey, ,sharp and Love coming through but only one went on to have moderate success with England.

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

June 10 2017, 3:41 PM 

Totally agree with Dewsburian (for a change)

If we had our full team available, we would be a match for any international side!

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

June 10 2017, 4:14 PM 

"Those who expect every player who comes through into the Yorkshire team to be of the quality of Root and Bairstow are likely to be disappointed. Those two players are ranked in the world's top 12 test batsmen. How many others have we produced of that quality in the last 70 years? Boycott, Vaughan and no one else I can think of."

With respect, Dewsburian, this is arguing via a false dichotomy. No-one is suggesting we should have such players all the time. We should expect better, however, than what some of the batsmen have served up over the past two years.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 11 2017, 12:21 AM 

I think the Lees/Leaning question may go the way of some of the debates of yesteryear, which, from memory, include: "Is Andrew Gale too good for the second team but not good enough for the first?" "Will Tim Bresnan fall just short of county standard with both ball and bat?" "Will Steve Patterson ever be quick enough to take wickets at first-team level?" and "Isn't it time to accept that Adil Rashid is really a batsman who bowls a bit of leg spin?" They were all interesting discussions in their day, but history suggests that opinions may evolve quite quickly.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

June 11 2017, 8:56 AM 

A usually reliable correspondent reports that Lees had a good innings yesterday. Only 38 runs but in difficult conditions.

I think most peoples frustration with Lyth and Lees in the last couple of seasons is because we've previously seen what a fantastic opening pair they can be.

We are gradually coming to terms with reality though and we will probably find at the end of the season that they are both right up there with other leading opening batsmen. (Maybe not with Stoneman)

It could be worse, England golden boys, Hameed and Jennings, who could do no wrong last season, seem to be scratching around a bit too.

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 11 2017, 9:23 AM 

However both Lyth and Lees have not had much pressure on their places, this has been a given been. Hopefully in the near future, there will be some academy players pushing these two a bit more.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

June 11 2017, 9:54 AM 

It's questionable whether making a player insecure improves their performance. It may do, but much of this team's success has been built on a strong team ethos, where team and management believe in each other.

There's no point in their partnership where either Lyth or Lees should have been in danger of losing their Championship place. However Harry Brook will have to come into contention fairly soon.

Sometimes I think a stranger visiting this site would imagine we were a struggling set-up, rather than the most successful club for the last five years.

(Login dpressed)

June 11 2017, 10:34 AM 

We have to be careful with Lyth/Lees. I was sure both had a poor 2016, but then realised that both got 1000 Championship runs. The reason was that with a very few exceptions they didn't have big partnerships. Or rather one would get out cheaply whilst the other got a decent score...... Before anyone mentions it the 2nd innings of the 2016 match at Old Trafford was a big execution.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

June 11 2017, 10:47 AM 

In the county averages before this round of games (no qualifying limit, so Jack Brooks is at no. 1), Jack Leaning is 29th on 39.00, Alex Lees 34th on 35.43, but sandwiched between them is one of last year's major batting stars, Nick Gubbins, who is 30th on 38.14. A lot of people thought Gubbins might be on the winter tour.

There are seven other openers ahead of Gubbins in the list: Robson (who has played only 2 games), Cook, Adams, Elgar, Stoneman, Alex Davies and Westwood (only 3 games). The next in the list are Rory Burns, Trescothick, Carberry and Lyth (the last two both averaging around 27). I'd expect Lyth to improve on that figure by the end of the year and I think if you'd asked Leaning and Lees whether they'd be happy to be ahead of Trescothick and Carberry on the list, then they would have taken that.

Looking back at 2014, Leaning's average is more or less identical to what it was then - 38.75 from 14 innings - and he's still only 23 years old. Lees averaged 44.13 and Lyth 67.68, but they were, of course, striding out to bat ahead of Williamson, Ballance (ave. 65.00 that season), Gale and Bairstow, not to mention the likes of Rashid (averaging 38), Pyrah (ave. 40 from 6 matches), Bresnan, Plunkett et al. That has to have been a bit less pressuring.

Jay
(Login overman8)

June 11 2017, 11:08 AM 

Idle man, I guess it's all about opinions but having some healthy competition is surely never a bad thing for any player.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk